Follow

Friday, July 13, 2012

FIXES (PRE & SUF) WHICH (CON)FUSE ME

There was some sort of screwup in the posting of Monday's blog, "Pockets, Paintings & a Prestigitator's Palace".  If you missed it, you can read it here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 



Can you be quettish all by yourself or do you have to be coquettish?  If you can deplane or detrain, why can't you decopter or deship?  If you don't really care any more, will you argue lentlessly?  If you follow all the rules of good behavior, are you corrigible?  If there are only two of you in the world, wouldn't you be bique instead of uni?  If you enroll in a class & then leave, why haven't you exrolled?  If a truce is called to a conflict, are the parties now merely flicted?  If you're not inane, inept or decrepit, why aren't you ane, ept or crepit?  If something makes sense, is it a sequitur?  Why do "flammable" & "inflammable" & "ravel" & "unravel" mean the same thing?  Isn't that a waste of words?  If you think about something & then decide it's correct, haven't you come to a proclusion instead of a con?  And I didn’t even get to the suffixes!  Don't worry if you can't answer these questions. We can't ALL be brilliant!

My confusion with the English language isn't entirely my fault.  This is the kind of garbage music I listened to when I was a kid:

Here are some educational cartoons to look at while you rest your brain:



               










Not to offend anyone, but I love this cartoon!!

How about some jokes?  This first one sort of goes with the last cartoon:

A mom  & dad were worried about their son not wanting to learn math at the public school he was in, so they decided to send him to a strict Catholic school even though they were not of that faith.  After the first day of school, their son comes racing into the house, goes straight into his room & slams the door shut. Mom & dad are a little worried about this  & go to his room to see if he is okay. They find him sitting at his desk doing his homework. The boy keeps doing that for the rest of the year. At the end of the year the son brings home his report card & gives it to his mom & dad. Looking at it they see an A+ under math.  Mom & dad are very happy & ask the son, "What changed your mind about learning math?" The son looked his folks & said, "Well, on the first day when I walked into the classroom, I saw a guy nailed to the plus sign at the back of the room behind the teacher's desk & I knew they meant business."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A school teacher injured his back & had to wear a plaster cast around the upper part of his body. He wore it under his shirt & it was not noticeable at all. On the first day of the term, still with the cast under his shirt, he found himself assigned to the toughest class in the school. Walking confidently into the rowdy classroom, he opened the window as wide as possible & then busied himself with desk work. The classroom became a bit unruly & he admonished them. This happened several times. While working at his desk, the strong breeze from the window made his tie flap annoyingly. He kept rearranging & rearranging the tie as the class become more & more unmanageable. Finally, becoming disgusted with the wayward tie, he stood up & took a big stapler off his desk & stapled the tie to his chest in several places. Discipline was not a problem from that day on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A little girl came home from school &  said to her mother, "Mommy, today in school I was punished for something that I didn't do." The mother exclaimed, "But that's terrible! I'm going to have a talk with your teacher about this ... by the way, what was it that you didn't do?" The little girl replied, "My homework."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------


STAY IN SCHOOL!!  Otherwise, you could turn out like me----fishducky












17 comments:

  1. Hahahaha, the Jesus jokes were hysterical so you can say they are "Christian approved"! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Mairzy Doats was a real song LOL!!!! My father-in-law always sings that to the kids. I just assumed he was a genius and had written the song. I'm still giggling.

    Thanks for bringing a smile to my face. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick with me, kid. You've got a lot to learn!!

      Delete
    2. Oh, Elisa, my middle child I never had, you are so young.

      Delete
  3. I never thought about the flammable and ravel redundancy. ;)
    Love this whole post. Smiley way to start the day. But my favorite was the teacher stapling his tie to his chest!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget the "Janus" words with opposite or contradictory meanings, such as trim, garnish, cleave,etc. English can be VERY confusing!!

      Delete
  4. I'lll have to try the staple ting this year, hopefully with a fake cast. That song was really annoying, no wonder you came out like that...lol. Thanks for the jokes, they were really funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So John's mother Elizabeth asks him, "Why can't you be more like your cousin Jesus?"

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can just hear her saying, "Why are your feet all wet? Why can't you walk on top of the water lilke Jesus?"

      Delete
    2. That's outstanding, fishducky!

      Delete
  6. I have a feeling YOU graduated so if we are going from your example should I encourage my children to drop out of school now? haha. Love ya lady and by the way one of your words was selected for book number three.
    It will be True Nonsense. I had already chosen Pure for book four before I started this. :) Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tony and I discuss how hard the English language is all the time. And don't even get me started on the pronunciations...

    (And as a total aside... when I spell checked English - because of the lack of a capital E - the term Spanglish came up. WTH?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, fishducky, I am now caught up on your latest posts and my head is spinning. That magic castle sounds like fun. And this was really funny too. English is so confusing once you start to compare like that. Who came up with it all, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Fran, I laughed aloud at all the jokes especially the one about studying math at the Catholic school! Remember the Andrew Sisters singing "Mairzy Doats" in a movie during the 40s????
    Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear everyone--A tree through which our Time Warner connection was passing decided to eat the connection on Friday afternoon. We lost our telephone, TV & internet until it was repaired 5 minutes ago. I have so much to go through & get ready for our trip the day after tomorrow, I won't be able to answer your comment--but I DO thank you for them. We'll be back the end of the month.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.