Follow

Monday, September 3, 2012

SHE WANTS TO BE NAMELESS


Our daughter recently informed me that she wishes to be nameless on all future posts that I write.  I will defer to her wishes.

When Nameless was small, she loved optical illusions.  They fascinated her.  She thought they were called “optical delusions”.  I think that’s a much better description.




         


We were at Scandia, an upscale Beverly Hills restaurant, with Bud’s sister & her husband.  Natalie was wearing a blouse that was scooped necked, both front & back.  The back gaped open a little when she leaned forward to eat.  A waiter was trying to serve us shrimp & accidentally dropped one down her back, inside her blouse.  He offered to get it out for her, but some people feel they have to do everything themselves.  Nat used to be a prude.  She didn’t want her husband to subscribe to “Playboy” magazine.  It’s very difficult for me to let something like that pass, so I sent him a prepaid gift subscription, anonymously.  I don’t think they ever figured out where it came from.

A friend in Palm Desert (near Palm Springs) is very into elephants.  She probably has as many or more elephant things than I have duck stuff--& that’s a lot!  One day we were visiting & she showed me an “elephant pie” she just got.  It was a ceramic “pie” in a real pie tin, with tiny elephants inside.  They were standing & sitting, with their trunks wrapped around each other, going every which-way.  It was adorable!  She gave me the name & phone number of the artist, whom I believe lived on the East Coast.  I ordered 4 pies.  A baby duck pie for me (below), a cow pie for our daughter (NOT the kind you find in a meadow), a fish pie for our oldest son & black & white kitties for our youngest.  We gave them to the kids at Christmas.  They loved them!

Here are 2 views of my duck pie:





Nameless took piano lessons as a child.  To help her learn to read music, we wrote a song together, which she transcribed.  Here it is, in its entirety.  Sing it to any melody you want.  “If I were an elephant & you were a canary; if I stepped on you, you wouldn’t like it!”

What do you get the man who has everything?  A bag to put it in?  In my husband’s case, the answer is MORE!  When he was growing up & all his friends wanted to be President, he wanted to be the Secretary of the Treasury.  When we were in Washington, DC, we went to the Treasury’s Bureau of Printing & Engraving.  It was fascinating to watch money being printed.  They didn’t have any free samples, but I was able to buy him a sheet of uncut bills.  We framed it when we got back & it’s hanging in his home office.  

A friend of ours, who is of Japanese descent, gave Bud origami cranes for his 70th birthday.  They were made of $1 bills.  70 is an important birthday in Japan.


This has nothing to do with anything.  I just like it & think it's clever:
Click anywhere in the clock and it becomes digital, another click and it returns to normal.  Watch the men of the minute hand impatiently tapping their feet.



My oldest son’s birthday is December 21st.  My question is: If the world ends on that day, as scheduled on the Aztec calendar, do I still have to get him a present?  


And remember...


My mind is tired from all this jumping around.  I’m going to lie down for a while----fishducky







22 comments:

  1. Hehehe, I love your rambling stories! The men clock is very random...who things of these things!?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehehe ... if I could have another daughter I'd name her Nameless ...

    I guess the waiter didn't get a tip that night.

    The Duck Pies look delicious ... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. I have 3 children--Matt, Blake & Nameless.

      2. I can't remember.

      3. They'd probably be quite tough!

      Delete
  3. I was reading this while eating my lunch at my computer and it's a wonder I didn't choke to death as much as I had to laugh. You are sooo funny!! And why didn't I think to name my hubby, who also doesn't want his name in my blog, Nameless? All of a sudden, it becomes funny, rather than annoying to have a nameless person in you family. Anyway, I started up fishducky's art corner again today and I mentioned that you now have your own blog and linked to here. Hope you and the Treasury guy are having a wonderful Labor Day. I think my nameless one may stop by your house tomorrow, not sure, but he will call first, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should I put in a disclaimer saying, "Warning! Do not attempt to eat while reading this post!"?? We're happy to see your nameless one any time! Thanks for mentioning my blog!!

      Delete
  4. I agree with she who shall remain nameless--optical delusions is a better name for them.

    A hot shrimp down your back is not a good way to stat a meal--LOL!

    The naked man clock. Somebody had a lot of time on their hands. And the minute men must be hauling a vast supply of balloons up their butt, so who can blame them for being impatient. ;)

    Have a good week. If it is the end of the world, I plan to go out organized. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Re the naked man clock: you are very observant! And you're far more organized than I'll ever be!

      Delete
  5. Dear Fishducky, those two optical "delusions" certainly did a vertigo exercise on my eyes! And just how did Natalie get the shrimp off of her back??? Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As far as I can remember, I dove in & got it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We LOVED the Bureau of engraving. The kids favorite was the cube of million dollars. They tried so hard to break into it. I brought home the shredded money and made Christmas ornaments out of it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were there for the 4th of July, 2000. They didn't have the cube then--my husband or I would have remembered it.

      What a great idea for Christmas ornaments!!

      Delete
  8. My eyes! My eyes! I could hardly see the money. I think you should get a gift for the birthday boy. The world is not ending. I have decreed it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I COULD get him something to wear, but if it's the wrong size or color--& you're wrong--how would he exchange it?

      Delete
    2. GOOD--because if you WERE wrong, I'll be very pissed off--& DEAD!!

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was part of his comment: "hope more people discover your blog because you really know what you’re talking about. Can’t wait to read more from you!" He OBVIOUSLY didn't read the post!!

      Delete
  10. Some people are fascinated by clocks (I had to type that last word CAREFULLY)!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did I ever tell you that Meaghan buys Phil a a duck for every holiday? This has been going on for 5 years now! lol Thanks for buying my book. Your autographed copy will be in the mail as soon as I get it in and sign it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I never knew that you adopted ducks! Thanks in advance for my hard copy!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.