Follow

Friday, October 26, 2012

WILL BLOG FOR FOOD


 I AM POSTING THIS AGAIN BECAUSE I THINK BLOGGER SCREWED IT UP ON WEDNESDAY!  MY FRIDAY POST WILL RUN AS USUAL.


I don't mean to sound bitter.  I know times are tough & there are many people who can't find work, no matter how hard they try.  They are forced to panhandle. THEY NEED YOUR GENEROSITY TO SURVIVE!  Unfortunately, human nature being what it is, there are others who could work but have decided to take advantage of our generosity & our gullibility, instead.  It can be very difficult, if not impossible to tell the difference.  I am wary when I hand a couple of bucks to someone on the street.

There was one time when I had no problem seeing through a scam.  I was sitting on a freeway off ramp, waiting for the signal to change so I could turn onto the boulevard.  There was a guy with a sign that said something like, "Hungry--please help--God bless".  The problem, as I saw it, was that he handed the sign to another guy & left.  I assumed his shift was over.  I didn't donate to either of them.

Here are a couple of other examples of non-needy panhandling:

Jose & Carlos are panhandling at the freeway off ramp.
Jose drives a Mercedes, lives in a mortgage free house & has a lot of money to spend.
Carlos brings in only two to three dollars a day.
He asks Jose how he can bring home a suitcase full of ten dollar bills every day.
Jose says, "Look at your sign.  It says, 'I have no work, a wife & 6 kids to support'.  Nobody cares."
Carlos looks at Jose's sign.  It says, "I only need another $10.00 to move back to Mexico."

A man came out of a convenience store the other day & some seedy looking guy walks up to him & holds up a little sign: "DEAF & MUTE  Can you spare $10?" WOW! $10!! What happened to a dollar or two?  So he reached into his pocket for his wallet, opened it, took out a folded piece of paper & handed it to him.  It said, "I can't read"--& he walked away.

Some others I would think twice before donating to:



This could have been one of the guys I saw:



These two deserve something for their ingenuity:


A WARNING!!
YOU'D BETTER DONATE SOMETIMES!!!!

And it's not just people:


The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts.  Leave a comment, anyway----fishducky



17 comments:

  1. Dear Fran, I'm up early today because my Wisconsin visitor had to get up and drive to Columbia (two-hour drive) for a nine o'clock doctor's appointment for Lyme's Disease. A bad disease! So here I am, trying to catch up with those blogs I enjoy reading. Yours, of course, being one of them. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're enjoying your visit with your friend--& I'm glad you enjoy my blog!!

      Delete
  2. I never hand money to individuals. I donate to organizations that provide food, shoes, clothes, housing, etc. The most common scam I've heard for a while now is, I'm trying to get to a funeral and I just need $10 for gas so I can get there. I say, No, I can't help you, but I think, If the person is already dead you won't be missed anyway so go home.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. In Latvia there are only few of those people who really need the money. But my situations usually goes like this:

    a homeless persone asks for a money to buy bread. My answer is - wait, I'll go to the store and buy you some bread. Most of the times they just say NO, NO, YOU COULD JUST GIVE ME THE MONEY. That's when I know that the money is really for alcohol. But there have been a few times when the person says OK, I'LL WAIT OUTSIDE. And I went to the store and bought some bread. The man was really thankful to me and went away to eat it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate it when panhandlers have puppies with them and signs that say: Need money for puppy food. If they're that broke they shouldn't have a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right--but someone has to make sure they don't end up eating the puppy!

      Delete
  6. I was just struck by the fact that you have a follower named Baiba from Latvia. Why, you ask, or maybe you don't, but let me tell you anyway. That was the name of the Latvian woman who became the love of Wallander's life in the Swedish book Dogs of Riga, by Henning Mankell, one of my most favorite authors of police procedurals.

    On to the pan handling. I'm with you that one never knows who is in a real need. I also got to know a few of them, by sight, I mean, because they always occupied the same spot in the midst of the Los Angeles traffic madness. I liked the guy with the self deportation plan, too bad he didn't run into Gov.Romney, he would have really made out then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baiba is a lovely young college girl. I'm forwarding your comment to her.

      Romney would have loved him!!

      Delete
  7. This reminds me of the kettle drummer in Hawaii!

    This is classic: "The problem, as I saw it, was that he handed the sign to another guy & left. I assumed his shift was over."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tell me again about the kettle drummer...

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a man when I lived in Boston that panhandled outside the pizza place on the way home. Every payday my fiance at the time (we never married, long story) would return home with a pizza missing two slices and a six pack minus 2. Seems he would stop and pick up dinner, then give two pieces to the man along with two beers.

    He never gave him money, but that man never refused pizza and beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If they're hungry or thirsty, I don't mind donating!

      Delete
  10. I've got one of those faces that attracts every bum in the street looking for a handout.

    I'm very generous, and always give at least once a year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good to know! Can you spare a twenty?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.