Follow

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

HOW ABOUT A HOUSE IN SANTA BARBARA?



We have a friend who is quite well off, but you'd never know it to look at him.  I'll call him L.  He tends to dress very casually & can be quite loud.  He was in Bijan's--an exclusive store in Beverly Hills.  It is open by appointment only.  He must have followed someone in. I doubt if he would have made an appointment.  Bijan was waiting on another customer while L was looking at a raincoat.  I guess (I don't really know because I've never been in the store) that there were no price tags on the clothes.  L apparently got tired of being ignored because he did a very typical (for him) thing.  He yelled, at the top of his lungs, across this beautiful, elegant & very quiet store, "HEY, BIJAN--HOW MUCH IS THIS RAINCOAT?"  Bijan came running over & took a look at L.  He apparently assumed that he didn't have much money.  He told him it was very expensive & that he probably couldn't afford it.  L told him that he had a house in Santa Barbara that he wasn't using & asked if he would consider a trade.  Bijan must have thought he was kidding--he may or may not have been--but L left without the raincoat.


L's wife was president of the local chapter of a national organization.  As such, she would host a yearly luncheon for about 2,000 guests at a Beverly Hills hotel. While she was eating, depending on what she was wearing, she would wear either a silver or gold lame bib.  To me, that was the epitome of class!



Many years ago, they threw an engagement party for one of their daughters. Their daughter & her fiance were living in London, so that's where the party was. When they invited us, they probably didn't expect us to attend--but you can never be too sure what Bud & I will do.  We flew out of LAX on Friday, went to the party on Saturday & flew back home on Sunday!  We won "prizes" in two categories--longest distance traveled & shortest stay in London.  We're too old & decrepit to do that now, but it was sure a hoot then!  This is just like us:




Since you wouldn't recognize this as my blog without at least a couple of non sequiturs,  here they are: 

"I was listening to some rap music this afternoon.   Not that I had a choice--it was coming from a Jeep about four miles away."
-Nick DePaolo 

"According to a new study from Italy, some women are avtually able to hear with their breasts.  Of course, this is great for Italian men, because they talk with their hands."
-Jay  Leno







I know it's a little late, but I just saw this & I love it:

As long as I've run one late cartoon:





I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other----fishducky












22 comments:

  1. Fran, you should do stand up comedy! You're a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comedy, I can do--it's standing up that's hard!! Are you still posting?

      Delete
  2. Hehehe ... Best wishes for the new year to you and Bud Fran ...

    ps ... how does one wash a gold or silver bib?

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) Very nice.

    Happy New Year!

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy new year to you & the kitties, Miss Pearl!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year, dear fishducky and thanks again for the laughter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same to you, kara inger, & you're welcome!!

      Delete
  5. Happy New Year...


    So...how much did the raincoat cost?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably about as much as the house in Santa Barbara!!

      Delete
  6. Oh, yeah. Bijan. Been there. Done that.

    NOT!

    Take me to England, please. I beg of you. I promise not to speak Middle English.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I refuse to shop anywhere where the salesclerks are dressed better than I am!~!

      Delete
  7. I have never heard of a retail store that took appointments only. No thanks. The house in SB... yes, please.

    And FYI I am so excited I found a place you HAVEN'T been (Iceland/greenland) and I could finally have a place to blog about that you haven't been to! (Is it wrong that that is swaying my decision?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Not!! Please let me know what it's like (besides cold)!!

      Delete
    2. We'd be going in the summer...50 degrees (so I'm told) so it wouldn't be so bad. :)

      Delete
    3. Actually, I prefer cold weather, so that sounds PERFECT for me!!

      Delete
  8. When I was working in audit for vendors I almost screamed when I saw jeans for kids that were long enough for a six feet man. Turned out that they were designed to gather by the ankles. Also the faded and the torn are way more expensive than just regular sensible styles. That is fashion and the price our kids make us pay.
    About looking rich - - - - I think it is better not look rich specially if we are heading to buy a car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can only hope that our kids don't think that faded, torn & used are better when looking for a mate!!

      Delete
  9. Put me down for 1 bib in ver- pls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like "sil" & fries with that?

      Delete
  10. Your friend must be well off to live in Santa Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he just bought that house on spec. He lives in a Beverly Hills hotel/condo now.

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.