Follow

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

MAXINE, MY MENTOR

Where did Maxine come from?  This is interesting.  I never knew who the creator of Maxine was!  After the Maxine jokes there is a summary of how she was created & a photo of her creator.  More from the gal everyone loves & admires:

DON'T MISS THE VERY LAST ONE, "TOWEL HEADS"...I love it!!


      





















~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~





John Wagner, Hallmark artist since 1970, says Maxine was inspired by his mother, his maiden aunts and his grandmother, the woman who bought him art lessons when 'fill in the pumpkins' was about the extent of his art classes at St. John's Catholic School in Leonia, N.J.



John remembers doodling as a preschooler and says both his grandmother and his mother encouraged his artistic interests. He eventually attended the Vesper George School of Art in Boston and landed at Hallmark as part of a new artists group. But it was the birth of the humorous Shoebox Greetings (a tiny little division off Hallmark) in 1986 that added a new dimension to John's professional life. The Shoebox way of seeing the world unleashed his talents and he created Maxine.


Why the name “Maxine”?   “People at Shoebox started referring to the character as 'John Wagner's old lady,' and I knew that would get me into trouble with my wife”, John says. The Shoebox team had a contest among themselves to name the character and three of the approximately 30 entries suggested “Maxine”.  John says the name is perfect.


John, who says he's humbled by such acceptance of Maxine, admits he's proud of her.

Now you know the story of how Maxine came to   be.


I'll say it again--I want to be just like Maxine when if I grow up----fishducky

  

29 comments:

  1. I love Maxine cartoons. I went to a luncheon last year and had the opportunity to meet and talk to John Wagner. He is very witty in person as well. One of the by-products of living in Kansas City where Hallmark Corporate Headquarters are there are a lot of artists, cartoonists and such that are pretty fun, interesting people...oh and it's great to have Crown Center here which is a shopping area that is located next to Hallmark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm jealous--I would love to meet him!!

      Delete
  2. Ha ha ha ha ..... A good laugh to begin the day. I always love her slippers. Are they bunnies or mules???? John Wagner, not only can draw but he's a whizz at reading what makes people (especially old people) tick. Thanks for informing us about the artist. I always like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh , how I needed this posting. Thanks !
    I did not know about John Wagner at all. One of my sons had sent me a Birthday card with Maxine in her Jammies and not finding the matching socks.
    Here though I can agree with Maxine on the third one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only the third one? I agree with almost everything she says!!

      Delete
  4. Had a good laugh. First time I've read Maxine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From Melynda:
    I have always loved Maxine as she says the things we would all like to. I'm glad you sent this. I have been sure for years that the author actually went through Clovis NM and met one of my customers out there. Not only does this woman look exactly like Maxine (I mean exactly!) but she acts like her too. It was eerie. I started calling her Maxine. She didn't like it at first but changed her mind and started referring to herself as Maxine lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean she actually walks among us?

      Delete
  6. Maxine is great: we all have a Maxine in our lives. Love the "Towel head" joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I strive to be the Maxine in my family--so far, so good!!

      Delete
  7. You were right, the Towel head one is classic!

    But you know, people who chop off the heads of other people and then put the film of such a grusome act on you tube are actually very sensitive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew that Maxine originated with Hallmark cards, but I didn't know who drew her. The thing about "towel heads" that kind of bothers me is that there are lots of people who wear turbans or birkas or whatever -- I don't know the correct term -- who are perfectly nice and gentle people and have no interest in hurting anyone. I don't like to see people who are good lumped in with people who are bad just because they have something they wear in common. I would now like to introduce you to MOV at http://mothersofbrothersblog.blogspot.com/ because she has an oldie but a goodie duck joke on her blog today. I don't think the two of you follow each other and I'd like to set you up on a date -- of sorts. Don't tell Bud.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, of course, but what good are people if you can't make fun of them? Going to check out MOV now...

      Delete
    2. As my husband says, "I may not always be right, but I am never wrong!"

      Delete
  9. I love Maxine, especially her political incorrectness. She ranks right up there with Larson as my all time favorite cartoons. Every one is a winner! :)

    S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maxine, Gary Larson & Stephan Pastis' "Pearls Before Swine" are my all time favorites!!

      Delete
  10. Thanks, fishducky for the cheer and laugh out LOUD post. Still grinning. I've loved Maxine ever since my very short term as a clerk in a Hallmark store, except back then she smoked. I'm also glad to have a chance to meet her maker. Yeah, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think SHE is ME--except I still smoke!! I've noticed she still likes her wine!

      Delete
  11. Gotta love that Maxine. She says and does a lot of things most of us only wish we could get away with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us are too polite--or CHICKEN!!

      Delete
  12. When I go to Target to read the crds they have (hey, gotta pass my time somehow, right?), I spend most of my time reading Maxine's cards. She's a riot, and I love the towel heads joke, that' s a classic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much funnier (& quicker reading) than Tolstoy's "War and Peace"!!

      Delete
  13. Maxine is my favorite. Must be why we get along so well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Fishducky, I'm so surprised to learn that a man created Maxine. I suppose that shows an assumption on my part!!!!!! The artist truly does have a wry sense of humor that always makes me laugh loud and long. I so enjoyed the one about never wearing a hearing aid! Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.