Follow

Monday, January 7, 2013

WILE E. COYOTE—I MEAN, ALISON, SUPER GENIUS!


My friend & I had our first children about the same time.  Alison is 10 days older than our daughter.  Our daughter was born at 4:10am.  My husband stopped at their house on his way home from the hospital.  He knew they’d be awake.

Our daughter (who as you know, shall be nameless) was a very early talker & very smart, but not a very early walker.  Alison could run circles around her, (almost) literally.  I could almost see Nameless’ brain working as she sat there looking at Alison & thinking: “So that’s how she does it.  One foot, then the other foot.  My goodness, look at how fast she goes!  I bet I could do that!”  When she had it all figured out, to prove her theory, she got up & walked!

Alison used to hum while eating in her high chair.  If the food was so-so, like oatmeal, it was a soft, gentle hum.  Fruit, which she loved, was cause for a symphony, with trumpets & cymbals going full blast!

We used to trade off babysitting each other’s kids once a week.  They were both being toilet trained.  I had set Alison down on the toilet & left the room to get something when I heard her scream.  I rushed back in & saw her head, arms & lower legs sticking out of the toilet.  Her torso—including her little butt—had disappeared!  I asked her what in the world had happened & she yelled, “I FELL IN!!”


Not this far...

...more like this!

And while we're on the subject of potty training:



 I was sick, so Bud took her & our daughter, both about 3 years old, to a birthday party for my niece, about 40 miles away.  Alison’s mom had neglected to tell my husband that her daughter occasionally got carsick.  This was such an occasion.  She upchucked on her dress so Bud stopped at a shopping mall & bought her a new one.  He took her into the restroom, hosed her down, changed her clothes & went on to the party.  When he brought her home, her mom wondered why she was wearing a different dress than the one she left in.  I was very proud of my husband.  When one of our kids in our home barfed while I was out, he would close the door to that room & when I got home, he’d point & say, “In there.”  Then again, I guess he didn’t have this option in his car.

Alison grew into quite an athlete.  She was a ranked tennis player in her teens.  The first time she ever played golf, she went with her father.  On the third or fourth hole she made a hole in one.  She told him she didn’t like golf much—it was TOO easy!

On a completely different subject (of course): My two much loved daughters–in-law are not, one would say, fanatical about having a clean house.  Other things are more important to them, as they should be.  When one daughter-in-law was about to have her second baby, I flew out to Connecticut to help her.  I was in their home with Matt & their first child while Linda was out shopping.  I looked around & said to my son, “I’m glad that Linda is comfortable with me.  Some daughters-in-law go crazy cleaning the house when their mother-in-law is coming.  I’m happy she didn’t do that.”  Matt laughed & said, “She DID!”  I gave her a sign that still hangs in her kitchen after many years.  It reads, “Martha Stewart doesn’t live here.”  My other daughter-in-law’s sign (also from me) says, “Housework makes you ugly.”  My daughter’s house is, of course, always clean (even though she’s pretty).  A conundrum.  We are not alike at all.  Her sign is below.   I gave her the sign to aggravate her—& it worked!


Your fine feathered friend----fishducky




18 comments:

  1. It's meaningful to have a girlfriend for your whole life and have your kids be friends and that will continue for their whole life. That is so with my friend Marilyn and her kids. I mention her in my blog often. We've been friends for over 53 years and talk on the phone almost daily.
    That story about your husband cleaning up the barf and buying a new dress is beyond most husband's abilities. At least mine.
    Hummm... Thanks for the "comment reply" info. I wonder if that just comes with the newer blogs because you started your blog fairly recently. I wish I knew more about computers. ggrrrrhhh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I--or at least my household--can beat that record. My husband & John became friends in 1940. He was Bud's best man at our wedding in 1955. They have been friends for 73 years!

      Delete
  2. Ahhhh ... Wile E. Coyote - the name transported me back so many years when I used to bury my head in Comics ... I always hoped that, just ONCE, Wiley would beat the crap out of that pesky Roadrunner ... alas that never happened ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably because that stuff he buys from Acme never works like it should...

      Delete
  3. They do make potty training seats for tiny butts.

    Martha Stewert will not even drive by here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't make smaller potty training seats in 1960--you had to learn to balance! "It's a good thing" Martha Stewart didn't live at Matt's house--she would've had a heart attack!!

      Delete
  4. I love the sign you gave to Nameless! That is profound!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first saw the sign, I felt like somebody had read my mind!!

      Delete
  5. I gave that same sign to Meaghan lol. It hangs proudly in her room. I'm a bit of a clean fanatic. I don't care if other peoples houses are clean or not but mine has to be or I can't rest. It drives me bonkers.. I don't know where I get that from because it was never so in our household growing up. It was CLEAN just cluttered. Oh well. I guess I truly am the freak in the family. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like a clean looking house, too. My mom used to pick up bunch of old newspapers from the table, wax the table & drop the papers back on the table. I don't wax--but I DO throw away the papers, giving my house the IMPRESSION of being clean!!

      Delete
  6. Fun post. We had a boy and it seemed like it took forever to potty train him. Girls, I hear, are so much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Hurricane's butt also slipped in once when she was on the potty. "I'm disgraced," she moaned. She often says she wishes she didn't look so much like me so she could pretend I'm not her mom. That kid just needs to give in to the dark side.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any idea how you gave birth to a normal child?

      Delete
  8. Oldest walked at 11 months. I swear Youngest watched him and then took off just to keep up... he was six months old.

    And hasn't stopped running since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should help in your new exercise regimen!

      Delete
  9. I talked long before I walked. My son also talked very early, but walked around with a finger or two touching furniture for the longest time. He was afraid to step out into nothingness and would go down and crawl from furniture to a wall or cupboard--wherever he could touch with his hand--and walk next to it. One day he just forgot...walked off into unsupported nothingness...and discovered it wasn't as scary as he thought. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching children's minds & bodies develop is fascinating stuff!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.