Follow

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

I WANT TO BE ON A TOTEM POLE

Friday was my 79th birthday.  My family & I went to a restaurant to celebrate.  They gave me what I always wanted--a standing ovation!!
Here's the picture.  Sorry it's so dark:
That's my daughter, Nameless, on the left.  Next, my daughter-in-law, Diane.  (Her husband was taking the picture.) Then there's Bud & my son-in-law, Nameless' husband.   The old lady who's seated is either me or my great-great-grandmother--it's hard to tell!!
Imagine my surprise when several friends decided to join us!!  Thank you all!!



Now on to the post:

My ideal totem pole:


Just think, if I were a Seminole
I could have been on a totem pole.  
Fishducky on the top with wings spread whole
And around my head an aureole.
I'd have no need for self-control.
No one could make me wash a bowl
Or have to mend a buttonhole
Or cook another casserole.
The chief would all his tribe cajole
To bow before me and see my soul.
My glory they would all extol.
Those that were sad I would console
'Til their spirits rose in a capriole.
They'd see me when they took a stroll.
I'd be on a lovely knoll
Or maybe part of a fumarole,
More splendid than a girasole.
I'd be listed on their holy scroll
And their banners they would all unroll.  
This has always been my goal.
But save me from your vitriol
Because it was just my luck,
Instead of an eagle, to be born a duck!



Some animal totem poles:











And one human one:
Huffpost





Ever stop to think, & forget to start again?----fishducky

 









37 comments:

  1. You are assuredly a poetrina - and I think a totem pole of your own is a worthy ambition. Which I hope you achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have appreciation
      Of your dissertation!!

      Delete
  2. Happy 79th. I love your poem and I like totem poles too. Why not make a photographic totem pole with all your family members and put yourself right on top?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday on 79. Keep it up and you'll catch up with me. Your birthday dinner sounds lovely and knowing a little of your scintillating family, also lively.

    In response to your poem, I think you are on the totem pole already. As they used to say long ago, "You're the tops."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm the tops, I'm the Eiffel Tower..."

      Delete
  4. Love the poem, Read it with a RAP beat, it is even better. Eagles may be majestic, but everyone loves a duck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just tried it--it's one of the few things I've ever liked in rap!!

      Delete
  5. Brilliant!

    when I read 79, I ... thought ... 79. man, that's getting on up there... then I realized I'm not quite 9 years away... holy freaking potty. Weren't we just 39 a few years back... ?

    Happy happy... birthday ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am actually only 36. My youngest child just turned 50. The best way to explain this anomaly is to tell you about something that I read in one of Kirk Douglas’ books. A “senior” movie actress was being interviewed. The reporter said, “Forgive me, Madame, but I have to ask. Your son (who was also a star) admits to being 56. You claim to be 63. How can this be?” Her answer (& mine): “He has his life—I have mine!”

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday! May you soon be able to convince the carver to put a Ducky on his next totem.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're the first poetrina I've ever known. I feel honored.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaww--it was nothing. Thanks for showing up for my standing ovation!!

      Delete
  8. From Melynda: I want to be on a totem pole also. I think I would like to be a wolf though. That way if anyone pissed me off I would just eat them..

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a fun post. Looks like the party was a hoot. Happy belated birthday
    R

    ReplyDelete
  10. It got awfully crowded but it was FUN!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the dogs with the crossed legs!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Firstly happy birthday, secondly - awesome poem. Just loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Firstly, thank you, & secondly, thank you, again!!

      Delete
  13. Happy Birthday and glad you got a standing ovation at last! Awesome poem.

    Nas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--I think everyone should get a standing ovation at least once!!

      Delete
  14. Happy Birthday!!!! Congrats on the standing O, being correctly proclaimed a poetrina, and dabbling in rap. Josh had a point, it does work like that and I normally avoid rap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Fishducky aka The Top of the Totem Pole, I so liked the following lines: "Those that were sad I would console/'Til their spirits rose in a capriole." A horse is one of my favorite animals---cats, giraffes, horses--and I can just see you as a frisky horse kicking up your heels. Maybe not now, but in your youth for sure. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am currently in a post-kicking stage of life!!

      Delete
  16. Where's my comment? Maybe I didn't write anything yesterday because I was having trouble with blogger. I don't actually remember reading this post, either. Anyway, I love your poem, but it could do with something about an extension cord round the neck. Just to add a little drama.
    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday! I wish I had been able to join that awesome party of yours! :)

    And I Loved the poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday, Miss Fran...a little late, but had a lot of company so wasn't on until now. Hope it was a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  19. OH!!! I totally missed it, as I did this post. Sorry... been weirdly busy round here. I have some great pics of totems from the boy scout camp here, I'll have to see if I can dig em out and email them to ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several of the other guests asked about you!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.