Follow

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

QUOTH THE MAVEN, NEVERMORE…



I am sitting at my computer in my oh, so seductive sleepwear (panties & ratty tee shirt) typing this, but I wasn’t always the fashion maven that I am today.  In the early 70’s Bud had a client, Joe, who was a member of the Friars Club.  We had three little kids & not much money.  Following are two “fashion” stories that took place in Joe’s apartment.

The first time I met Joe was when he invited us to a cocktail party at his apartment.  I had no idea of what was appropriate to wear.  I knew there would be several other couples there that I had not met.  We were to go out to dinner or somewhere afterwards--I don’t remember where.  I bought a suit & hoped I would fit in.  When we walked in, I immediately felt comfortable.  Joe was very gracious & I loved his apartment.  To give you an idea of what it was like, Joe had a wet bar.  On the wall behind the bar was a sconce of a gold-colored angel with her arms outstretched.  Hanging from one of her arms was an Italian salami.  I knew I was properly dressed when another couple arrived & the woman was wearing the exact same suit as I was, but in a different color!

On another occasion, Joe had purchased a table for a Friars Club roast & had invited us.  He did that many times, but this time it was formal.  I didn’t own anything that was remotely formal, so I had to go & buy something.  I found a beautifully simple floor length, hot pink, raw silk dress that I fell in love with.  The only problem was that even though it was on sale it cost $100.00!!  (Remember this was in the 70's.)  My wedding dress probably didn’t even cost that much.  (My family never spent a lot on clothes--I was taught to look in the bargain basement first whenever I went shopping.)  I called Bud & he said to go ahead & buy it, which I did--but now I needed shoes & a purse.  I didn’t want to spend much, so I went to Kinney’s--which is probably equivalent to today’s Payless--& found silver glitter shoes & a clutch bag for under $10.00.  At the cocktail party at Joe’s before the roast, a guest told me she really liked my shoes & asked where I got them.  I burst out laughing & said, “I’d be happy to tell you, but only after you compliment me on my dress!!”

This is pretty much what my dress & shoes looked like
except my shoes were much more sparkly:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


We went to visit our daughter, Nameless, while she was living in Italy.  She gave me a gift of a handbag with this logo printed all over it.
Fashion maven that I am, I had never heard of Fendi.  She asked me if I knew what the interlocking "F" logo meant.  I replied, "Obviously, Fran Fischer!"  She said, "No--fake Fendi."  It was a MUCH better imitation of a brand name purse than this:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


This is an old post I wrote about my “mink” coat:

JUST A LITTLE HOSTESS GIFT

We have a friend, Theo, in Texas who used to be an accountant for an oil company.  He wasn’t wealthy, but his job gave him access to a private plane & pilot.  He invited Bud & me to join him & his wife, Lynn, on a trip to the Grand Old Opry to celebrate his 50th birthday.  He sent out the plane to pick us up in Los Angeles.  (Flying in a private plane is lovely.  It should be on everyone’s bucket list.  I love when the pilot carries my luggage to the plane & asks when we would like to take off!)

We spent a few days in their home & then it was off to Nashville.  I was his “official” photographer & took lots of pictures of the birthday boy with the performers.  Everyone was “down home” & friendly.  It was a blast!  We then had OUR pilot fly us to New Orleans for more fun & lots of great food.  A few days there & it was time to go home.  On the private plane, of course.

We had such a marvelous time, a really nice thank you gift was in order.  I had taken my full length “mink” coat on the trip with me.  Even though this was before the days of PETA, it was not a real fur.  It was a man-made mink that looked exactly like a real one.  (Another friend had a real mink in the same color.  I put mine next to hers & you couldn’t tell where one stopped & the other started.  The color & texture were identical.) Theo had insisted on no gifts, but Lynn loved my coat so we decided to send one to her, with his permission.  He kept it a secret from his wife.


Her cleaning woman was at her house when United Parcel rang the bell.  She told Lynn that there was a package for her.  When Lynn saw who had sent it, she told the cleaning woman that she knew that it would be something nice & to sit down & watch while she opened it.  Lynn said her cleaning woman’s face almost hit the floor when she pulled out a full length mink coat!  The woman asked her why we had sent it.  She told her we were very nice people & that we sent it because we knew she would like it--& that it was a “hostess” thank you present.  Lynn told us that the last thing she heard her cleaning woman say as she left the room was, “I wish I knew me some crazy rich people in California!”
















Excuse me while I slip into something a little more comfortable----fishducky

 






30 comments:

  1. I always wanted a fur coat when I was younger and eventually got a fake rabbit fur jacket, well, that's what the label said and it was only $50. I wore it once, then it hung in my wardrobe and one day it disappeared.
    I don't follow fashion at all, I wear what fits and feels comfortable, how it looks is irrelevant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I said I was a fashion maven today, it was strictly in jest. You know--humor, as in ha, ha!! So sayeth the lady in a clean, but ratty tee shirt.

      Delete
  2. Great stories... I have flown in a private plane a couple of times and it is great fun while wondering what the poor folk were doing... hahaaa...

    love your ... 'ask me about my dress first' ... I had a tall, slim model looking pal.. she could find some of the greatest bargains ... could wear anything and it looked gorgeous on her... me? short and round... bah ...

    You remember Mouton coats? I remember my Mother putting one of those on lay away when I was a sophomore in high school for my birthday... 16 with a Mouton jacket.... wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO remember Mouton coats!! For those who don't, a definition from Wikipedia: "Sheepskin that has been sheared and processed to resemble beaver or seal."

      Delete
  3. Many women are more proud of their shopping prowess than of their status. When another lady compliments them on their nice shoes they can not just say "Thank you." they brag, "Target! 29.99."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, there might be a post in there somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mother-in-law always wanted a fur coat but by the time she could afford one public sentiment had shifted against fur. Personally, I don't think animals should be hunted for their fur but I don't have a problem with "farmed" animals like minks being raised for fur. Let's face it, without fur and animal skins humans wouldn't have survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree & love my man-made furs, which I no longer wear because of PETA. They look so real, I'd probably still end up drenched in red paint!!

      Delete
  6. Dear Fran, I, too, wear "ratty t-shirts," not just to bed but to the grocery store and library and back. The thing is, I wear what I feel comfortable in. But recently I lost some weight and for the first time in 17 years I shopped for clothes. What an experience--tiring and yet informative because I learned that sizes don't mean anything anymore. In one brand, I can be an 8; in another, I'm a 14. In one small; in another, large. I truly did need to try everything on. So I have all these nice clothes in the closet. And what do I have on right now? A twenty-year-old t-shirt and a pair of baggy sweat pants! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are definitely my kind of people!!

      Delete
  7. From Melynda: You have had the most exciting life! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's probably the only one I'll get, so I've tried to make the most of it!!

      Delete
  8. One size never fits all!!!!!! This reminds me when I was about 10 I wanted a nike sports bag but I wasn't allowed one because they were too expensive for school so I took a big black marker pen and drew on a tick thinking it would look legit ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glitter shoes and clutch purse...at Kinney Shoes! OMG!! This ages me 'cause I remember all too well Kinney Shoes. I probably would've bought the silk gown and wore my Keds™ underneath. Can't be too uncomfortable.

    Hi...I just read your comment you left for Medicare Mom when I visited with her, and laughed so hard!!!!!!!---I just had to come over and pay YOU a visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you stopped by--can you stay a while?

      Delete
  10. The numbers of nylons who have died to bring me my clothing makes the environmentalist in me proud.
    And one size never fits all needs to be put in every clothing shops changing rooms. In BIG BLACK LETTERS with rather a lot of exclamation points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We should also remember the hides (hydes?) of all the naugas that went into the making of our leather furniture!!

      Delete
  11. Ah cleavage... it's where I store all my snacks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The only way I can keep food out of (not off of) mine when I eat is to wear a turtleneck!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My wife can smell a fashion bargain from 300 yards away.
    You had me at the I can't afford to eat cartoon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't do fashion--even bargains--any more!!

      Delete
  14. I remember Kinney's. I thought it was hilarious that their slogan was "We only sell the right shoe." What about the left shoe?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember that slogan, but they probably had a continuous BOGO sale--buy the right shoe & get the left one free!!

      Delete
  15. I remember kinney's as well! Fun stories, Fran. I'm so glad to finally have some time to read everyone's posts! And thank you for always stopping by my new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're too young to remember Kinney's--& stopping by your blog is ALWAYS a pleasure!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The "I can't afford to eat" cartoon killed me. I loved this. <3 Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.