Follow

Friday, October 25, 2013

YOU'VE GOT MAIL!



I actually used to belong to this group, NOT because I believed the earth was flat, but because I wanted their newsletter.  It was so removed from normalcy/sanity as to be  
hilarious.  I eventually dropped my membership because I had no desire to give $5.00 or $10.00 a year (whatever it was) to an organization that had become extremely anti-Semitic.  I also used to subscribe to several of the "newspapers" that are at the check stand at the markets, including the Enquirer & the Wacky Weekly World News.  I actually had a reason for all this--let me explain:

When our kids were away at college, so were many of our nieces & nephews.  They were all over the U.S. &, for a while, our daughter Nameless & one of our nieces were in Italy.  In order to keep a family member up to date on what was happening to the rest of us, I acted as sort of a clearing house.  They would send me letters (this was WAY before email or cell phones) & I would put whatever information they gave me into a BIG letter.  I xeroxed it (remember that?) & put in stupid stories, jokes & my own thoughts & sent a copy to everyone every couple of weeks.  Now that I think of it, it was sort of an early version of this blog.  I mailed 15 or 20 copies.  My father-in-law lived about a half mile from us & we saw him often, but he insisted on his own copy, too, & so did my sister-in-law's father-in-law.  They thought they were funny & they didn't want to be left out.

Once we ran a contest for my readers.  Someone had given me a teddy bear, about 6" tall & made of mink.  We thought she should have a name so we offered a prize for the best name.  The prize was to be $500,000.00 or a cookie, at the discretion of the judges (me & Bud).  Nameless & her cousin were sharing an apartment in Italy & they came up with the winning name, "Theda Beara".  (Theda Bara was a sexy silent film star.) We went to Italy to deliver their prize.  It was a cookie, not the $500,000.00--we're generous, but we're not stupid!  I don't know if anyone still does it, but they used to make cookies the size of a pizza & decorate them.  We had them write "Congratulations!" on the cookie & they put it in a pizza-like box.  There was no problem getting it into the country, but their customs inspectors were curious as to why we were bringing a pizza (they thought!) into Italy.

Here's a sample of the letters & also of the cartoon section:
Answers to the riddles:
1.  A popecsicle
2.  Antipasto
3.  A pop tart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~







I went to a theatrical performance about puns. It was a play on words----fishducky

  




     

22 comments:

  1. Ha Ha at Junk Mail, that's a good one.
    I tried a similar collective letter at Christmas once, didn't really work out, I only had two people to send to, so it wasn't as much fun. Your version is much better though with the riddles and cartoons as well as news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, but also a lot of work!!

      Delete
  2. The first fishducky blog...love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it, too--but blogging is MUCH easier!!

      Delete
  3. How nice blogging was invented. Now one doesn't have to be a family member to enjoy your humor. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My humor is now out there for the world--IF it wants it!!

      Delete
  4. Dear Rita, ah, the memory of xeroxing and using stamps. Do you remember another way to duplicate--we put our piece down on a purple sheet of some substance that seemed like gelatin and press it in and then pressed on top of it one after another blank sheets of paper. I can't remember what that was called but I remember doing it for my fourth grade teacher back in 1944. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you mean mimeographing--Xeroxing was much easier & neater!!

      Delete
    2. Yes, the mimeograph. Most of the papers given to us in school were mimeographed. They smelled weird.

      Delete
  5. "What's a stamp?" This sounds like something our son might say. Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have to explain what a stamp is to him, but I bet he can tell you how to work your computer!!

      Delete
  6. I agree that's a written version of a blog post.
    I plan to steal you prize award idea. Just like blog posts, prizes should be at the discretion of the creators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--steal ahead. I will not prosecute!!

      Delete
  7. I think you were the original blogger. How does it feel to be so creative and brilliant?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm old enough to be the original lots of things. I can live with creative & brilliant!!

      Delete
  8. Love it. And find myself feeling a bit sorry for all the Bills who are NEVER ever welcome. I must ask my eldest brother whether it has given him a complex.
    And, I am so grateful that your blog has (sort of) given me honorary family member status into your world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WELCOME to my family--just don't expect a Christmas present!!

      Delete
  9. HAhaa Flat Earth Society… well? why not… I gotta reread this tomorrow morning with m'coffee… got here too late tonight…

    just wanted to say g'night ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. G'night, g'morning, g'afternoon & an all-around g'day to you!!

      Delete
    2. Could you please give me your email address? There are some things I'd like to send you. I'm at fishducky@budandfran.com. Thanks!!

      Delete
  10. Ha! I love how you include cartoons and GIFs in your posts. Very uplifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't all good newspapers include a comics section? Love your poetry!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.