Follow

Friday, November 22, 2013

PLEASE EXCUSE ME WHILE I BABBLE...


Several years ago, my friend "P" got a divorce from her alcoholic husband.  She felt a change of scene would do her & her only child (a teen aged girl) a world of good--but where to go?
  
She thought about living in Italy for a year or so--the Amalfi Coast, to be specific, even though they didn't speak a word of Italian.  She asked some of her friends if they thought she was crazy & we all thought it was a great idea, so off they went, with no idea of where they were going to stay.  

P & her daughter are standing in the middle of the town, wondering where to look for an apartment, when a beautiful feather floats to the ground in front of an apartment building a few steps away.  She thinks it might be an omen, so she knocks on the front door.  The owner answered & she spoke English.  She said someone had just moved out & she hadn't even had time to put up a vacancy sign.  P took a look at the apartment & decided it was perfect!  They stayed there for a year or so & also used it as a home base for touring Europe.  She & her daughter had the time & space to bond & the year was wonderful!!  (I guess feathers don't lie.)

The first time I saw the Almafi Coast 
was in this movie,which was a charmer!!
If you haven't seen it, PLEASE DO:

This is where it is & what it looks like.
What's not to love?




Segue:  Something this post isn't going to do.

When my husband was in high school in the late 40's, his homeroom teacher wore a hearing aid.  It wasn't the tiny "all in your ear" ones they have now.  Instead, the earpiece was connected to a wire which ran to the battery pack which was the size of a transistor radio & kept in his shirt pocket.  Got that?  Good.  A student was reading the daily bulletin.   He started in a normal tone of voice, then spoke more quietly until he was (deliberately) only mouthing the words while the teacher was frantically fiddling with his battery pack.  When he figured out what was happening, the teacher yelled, "There's a SKUNK in this class!"  Bud says he pronounced it "SKONK".

How could anyone think THIS was a good idea?

Think your kid is too big to sit on your lap?

How about a lovely little song?


And some random cartoons:












What do you call a man with a shovel in his head? An ambulance, due to the fact that he has a rather serious head wound----fishducky


 
Please leave a comment.



32 comments:

  1. The elephant is simply gorgeous - and the Amalfi coast doesn't look hard to take either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh dear, I laughed out loud at the colo-rectal surgeon clip and poor Stan waking up at the crack of Dawn.
    Loved the baby elephant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've visited the Amalfi Coast and it's as beautiful as it looks in your pictures. Love the baby elephant video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P must have been married to a RICH alcoholic husband!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall, she got the house & sold it--she wanted a brand new start!!

      Delete
  5. Melynda wrote: The hearing aid thing was Bud wasn't it? lol (I could see you doing that too)
    I thought Drake was to big to sit in my lap. An elephant? Even as a baby that thing ways a ton hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For those who don't know, Drake is her adult Saint Bernard!!

      Delete
  6. The morning after Soldier died, I found two owl feathers at my front door. I felt comforted.

    When I was young and traveled all over Europe, I missed Italy deliberately because of those pesky guys. I always thought I would go when old to see all the beauty, the art, the coast you just described, and eat good food without having my rear end pinched! Since that didn't happen, I just have to look at beautiful pictures and enjoy it that way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

      Delete
  7. I don't get to go many places. I'm afraid I've missed Italy. Any volunteers to send me?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siamo spiacenti, non un singolo volontario! Allow me to translate: Sorry, not a single volunteer!

      Delete
  8. LOTS of stuff here to love. Like that baby elephant, and the "Baby Elephant Walk" music, too. That's the song that played in "Hatari" when the baby elephants were following Leslie Caron around.

    Fun stuff! Thanks for the smiles, and here's to a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There aren't a whole lot of things cuter than a baby elephant.
    "Dawn" made me glad I wasn't drinking anything at the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I take it you're a spitter/laugher. Screens CAN be wiped off!!

      Delete
  10. I enjoyed that movie. Although I thought running all over Italy believing in karma was a fool's paradise. Guess I was wrong.

    If I tried following my dreams to Italy, the feather on the ground would be followed by a load of crap from the sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What happened in the movie could ONLY happen in movies--& beware of things falling from the sky!!

      Delete
  11. I always liked feathers ... and watched them float but none led me to such a beautiful place! must be karma... loved that story

    funny stuff again... Hahaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  12. The most amazing part--the story was TRUE!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a wonderful story about your friend and her move. I think that when you believe that things will work out, they do. I suppose the same can be said for believing that things won't work out... they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Henry Ford once said, "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

      Delete
  14. What a delightful story. I would like to travel more, but my health is a bit "iffy," and travel wears me out very quickly.

    Wonderful pictures help.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to do a lot of travelling, now that we're old--not so much!!

      Delete
  15. Italy was one of the most beautiful places. Funny, I too decided to go on a whim. I'd love to go back someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Italy has lots of beautiful (& fascinating) places--I LOVED Venice &, of course, the Vatican!!

      Delete
    2. The Vatican was AMAZING!!! But my favorite was Pompeii, you can actually reconstruct it in your mind. :)

      Delete
    3. Unfortunately, we never got to Pompeii. :(

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.