Follow

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

HO, HO, HO & ALL THAT STUFF!!


(A repost--except for the cartoons))


In 1979, when I wrote this, it was meant to be a joke just for Bud because I was tired of getting Xmas newsletters that said my husband was just elected God or my child just turned 6 & he's already Phi Beta Kappa. It's based on truth, as most humor is. Nameless was studying in Europe, Matt was at Northridge & worked for a sewer company. The “chunnel” (the tunnel across the English Channel) had not yet been built—I don’t know if it had even been planned at the time. Blake had just gotten his driver's license. General Motors was doing a lot better than they are now & we did buy a treadmill--also, we had a dog, Pepi. Bud liked it so much we sent it out with our cards. After receiving it, a friend told me that her husband asked her how I could brag like that. I liked her simple explanation: “It’s satire, stupid!”



Some different holiday bellringers:

This goes with the bellringers:


My gift to you--cartoons:











There's an off-chance this is inappropriate:




Here's your holiday card:

The front:

The inside:

And the back:



I sent this note to Santa: "Dear Santa, This year, please give me a big fat bank account & a slim body.  And please, don't mix those two up like you did last year."  It didn't help!!----fishducky

 






30 comments:

  1. Happy Christmas - and thank you. Rather a lot of smiles here. And I should show your Christmas letter to one of my sisters in law. It (might) quieten her down - briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first cartoon really sums up the greeting letter well!

    Love your satire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey - - - I am not from this country so I am still learning. ( almost forty years is not enough I guess) I understand it now, cause when I saw an episode of "Everybody loves Raymond", I was puzzled by the Christmas letter. So that is what it is supposed to do huh?

    I think the Santa Bathroom rugs ensemble is a little in appropriate. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay to brag a little, but some people go overboard!!

      Delete
  4. I"d say, "Bah! Humbug!" but that isn't very friendly. I hope this years Christmas letter was a delight! In fact, I hope his year's Christmas has been a delight — that it's been ducky but not too fishy.

    Blessings an Bear hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been ducky so far--
      The only thing that was fishy was the salmon for last night's dinner!!

      Delete
  5. Merry Christmas:) Thanks for the chuckles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your Christmas letter, especially that the dog graduated from obedience school cum laude.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAhaaa love the letters ... especially the first one ... Merry Christmas, Fishducky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Merry Christmas. I hope it's been a delightful holiday for you and your family.
    R

    ReplyDelete
  9. "big fat bank account and slim body" ha ha, I usually just ask for the big fat bank account.

    I like that 1979 letter a lot.
    LOVE the bell ringers and that fireman's Christmas lights.
    Hope you had a fabulous day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are matzoh balls similar to dumplings? my mum always made great dumplings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're like dumplings, but made with matzoh meal. They're light and fluffy and about the size of a tennis ball!!

      Delete
    2. okay, now I need to look up matzoh meal.......

      Delete
    3. Crushed matzohs--like bread crumbs!!

      Delete
  11. I love that holiday letter still. Nothing better than "truth" with sarcasm. :)

    Hope all your Holidays were exactly the way you imagined Fran and Bud! Here's to a great 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks again for all the great laughs. I can sympathize with that poor slice of fruit cake. Take care and Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Merry Christmas to you and family! Looking forward to a New Year

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Fishducky, thank you for sharing your Christmas letter (ho! ho! ho!) and for the gift of the cartoons. And by the way . . . I love fruitcake! I let myself have only one fruitcake each year during the holidays. I have to talk myself into reason because I want to order one for each week of the year! Peace.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.