Follow

Monday, January 27, 2014

AN OBITUARY PRINTED IN THE LONDON TIMES





Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as knowing when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, life isn't always fair and maybe it was my fault. 

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition. 
Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.  It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an aspirin to a student, but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion. 
Common Sense suffered further as the churches became businesses and criminals received better treatment than their victims. 
Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault. 
Common Sense finally gave up the will to live after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. 
Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife, Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason. 
He is survived by his 5 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame, I'm A Victim, and Pay Me For Doing Nothing.
Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. 

If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I think it's just common sense to post 
lots of cartoons after that:
















We are all responsible for what we do, unless we are celebrities----fishducky

 










25 comments:

  1. I have to blame Lawyers (no, not all lawyers), and parents (no, not all parents) and Liberals (all of them) for the demise of CS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should just about cover it!!

      Delete
    2. Joe stereotypes but he doesn't like it... HAHaaaaaa... all liberals! Cranky? y'kill me

      Delete
    3. Shh-hh!! I'm worried he'll find out that I'M a liberal!

      Delete
  2. Rest in peace, Common Sense. I hope we see the lies of you again. God knows we need you now more than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. school for the gifted.. HAHaaaa ... I don't know if common sense is genetic or environmental ... it isn't taught in schools ... that's for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I enjoyed this, I must say something about the woman who "spilled a little coffee in her lap" because misinformation about that poor lady is disseminated to this day. She was not driving her car. Her nephew was driving. They bought coffee at McDonald's and pulled into a parking space before opening the cups. Yes, she spilled coffee in her lap, but her burns were so severe that they were life threatening. There was no reason for that coffee to be hot enough that it could cause such serious burns. Netflix has a documentary that includes information on this case and the way that McDonald's used the media to spread misinformation about the case. If I can find the name of the documentary, I'll let you know because I think you'll find it as fascinating and shocking as I did. It's not just about that woman. It's about tort reform in general. Making coffee that won't cause severe burns is common sense.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. McDonald's did a great job making this into a joke--I never knew the facts before!! I'd be VERY interested in seeing that documentary.

      Delete
    2. I found the film--it's called "Hot Coffee". I'll watch it later today.

      Delete
    3. I just finished watching "Hot Coffee" (which I think everyone should see) & it scared the hell out of me!! I learned a lot about judicial elections, damage caps, tort reform, binding arbitration & the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. I consider myself intelligent & fairly well informed, but I knew very little about these subjects & I think a lot of people are in the same boat!!

      Delete
    4. Immediately after the woman was burned, the story was that she opened her coffee while driving her car and burned her hands (a lie, as you know). So many people berated her. Then I heard that she needed skin grafts and that a jury found in her favor. It made me wonder what really happened, and I finally found out when I saw this documentary. I learned a great deal from it, too.

      Delete
  5. Haha, rest in peace, Common Sense!

    Love,

    Rowan


    Personal Style Blog WWW.REDREIDINGHOOD.COM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Rowan--glad I could give you a chuckle!!

      Delete
  6. Hum, I only knew the joke version about the hot coffee also. Think I will check further also.
    I agree with you, schools have Logic 101, why not common sense 101? Lets give that baby CPR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See my last response to Junie's comment above.

      Delete
  7. Common sense has not been so common for far too long. That's for sure. There's a lot of people who could use a healthy dose of it along with a slap in the face of reality.

    I once told my other half that common sense obviously didn't reign supreme in his world. He gave me an incredibly stupid look and asked if I was saying he had no common sense... I thought we had already established that. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we ought to establish a movement to BRING IT BACK!!

      Delete
    2. Sorry--I forgot to tell you WELCOME!!

      Delete
    3. Awesome. Glad to be here and feel free to show up on my blog too.

      Delete
  8. I remember that obituary, I think I still have a copy printed out somewhere. A little premature though, as Common Sense is alive and well at my daughter's house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, it's alive at my daughter's house, too. At my sons' houses--not so much!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.