Follow

Friday, January 3, 2014

LIFE'S A BEACH!!




Our home is in Los Angeles, CA.  We used to own a condo in Maui, which we loved, & rented out when we weren't there.   Unfortunately, the tax laws changed so it became too expensive to keep.  We decided to get a place closer to home.  We ended up with a weekend beach house in a condo association in Port Hueneme--about halfway between Los Angeles & Santa Barbara. (The Chumash Indians had settlements in both the Los Angeles & Santa Barbara areas. "Hueneme" is a Chumash word meaning "halfway".)  We bought it in 1983, well before Bud retired.  We wanted to find a place that was at least an hour's drive from the house, so Bud wouldn't run back home for every emergency that wasn't really an emergency, & less than a 2 hour drive so it would still be convenient for us to use.  Bud's nephew, Mike, found the place for us.  He said it was perfect--an hour & a quarter from our house & only a half hour from his house.  We asked him if it was so great, why he didn't buy a place there.  He told us that buying there would create one major problem for him.  His in-laws had a condo there!!  We loved the place & bought it.

When Nameless II was just a few weeks old, her parents brought her out to the condo. Mike & Evie & their two young sons were visiting her folks at the beach & wanted to come over to see the baby.  Evie had apparently been very thorough about warning the boys not to be loud so that they wouldn't disturb the baby.  When I answered the door, the youngest (2 or 3 years old) assured me in a booming voice, "I BE QUIET!!"

One of my neighbors in Hueneme was a very nice woman who wore too much perfume.  She came to see the baby & insisted on holding her.  Nameless claimed (correctly) that the baby later smelled of perfume.  I'm sure my daughter's thoughts were, "Nice perfume, Mary, but why did you have to marinate it it?"

Some side notes on Mary: I knew we had a lot in common the first time I saw her house.  It was loaded with duck paraphernalia!!  Their anniversary was February 6th, the same as ours, but some years earlier.  Maybe.  She & her husband eloped to Las Vegas when she was a teenager. They got their license & went to an all night chapel late in the evening.  Each time the minister told them it was their turn, she was hesitant & they got back in line.  By the time she decided to go ahead & tie the knot, it was actually February 7th.  She celebrated their anniversary both days!!


PS—Re the Maui condo:  Small World Dept.  I was visiting with my new neighbors & one of them asked me where we lived when we weren’t in Hawaii.  I told her we lived in Los Angeles.  She said she had a sister there, told me her name & asked if we knew her.  (After all, there are only about 3,000,000 people in L. A.)  I said I didn’t know her & asked where she lived.  She told me.  Her sister lived EXACTLY one block from us!


This says Perry Como but it's actually Elvis:














Is it too soon to put this in here?




Be polite to everyone.  It's not that hard & it makes others look stupid if they're being an ass----fishducky

 






































20 comments:

  1. I LOVE the idea of my troubles lasting as long as the resolutions I didn't make. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounded like a GREAT idea to me!!

      Delete
  2. "By the time she decided to go ahead & tie the knot, it was actually February 7th. She celebrated their anniversary both days!!"

    HAhaaaa ...

    love the old woman in the thong... I say to me all the time.. I may be an old woman but I don't live in a shoe.. I don't know why I say that all the time ... but I do ... and now I'll have me a visual to accompany my sayin ... life is good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you talk to yourself a lot, do you? Talking to yourself is fine--it's only when you ask yourself a question & then say "What?" that you should worry about it!!

      Delete
    2. I don't usually say, what back at me ... I usually say why ... back at me OR I seem to love asking me questions and answering them... I don't know why.... I ceased to worry about my intra chats long ago... serves no purpose

      Delete
    3. As long as you're happy with yourself!!

      Delete
  3. I lived for five years in Oxnard, CA, which I'm sure you know is very close to Port Hueneme. Something else we have in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were my next door neighbor--why didn't you ever stop in for coffee?

      Delete
  4. I am not surprised to find you spent time in a half-way house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on full release now--if you don't count the ankle bracelet!!

      Delete
  5. That's Elvis in the video, but it's Perry Como's voice. Why, God, why?

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe God likes Perry Como more than Elvis!!

      Delete
  6. Love Joey Adams sentiments especially since my resolutions were drastically modified on Jan 2nd. Should be a good year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wedding scene in the video clip looks familiar but I can't remember which Elvis movie that was.
    I had to get out my atlas to see where Maui is, I'm not familiar with the Hawaiian Islands at all.
    I love your final quote, "May all your troubles last as long as your New Year's resolutions".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could it have been from "Blue Hawaii"? Maui was paradise!!

      Delete
  8. It is a small world. I've never been to Hawaii but I've always wanted to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's VERY different than Alabama. Go--& do everything--while you still can!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We have a vacation house. Well, at least we do on our taxes... *sigh* sadly, it's not on a beach or in an exotic location (to us), and it is currently home to my MIL. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it counts when it's just on your taxes!! ;(

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.