Follow

Monday, March 10, 2014

PANHANDLERS THAT DESERVE A SECOND LOOK




 

Astrologer Doing Reverse Panhandling

Rob Brezsny is an aspiring master of curiosity, perpetrator of sacred uproar, and founder of the Beauty and Truth Lab. He writes "Free Will Astrology," a syndicated weekly column that appears in over a hundred other publications and on the Web.


Among Brezsny's performance art extravaganzas is his "Reverse Panhandling" show. At least once a year, he enjoys standing at the exit ramp of a major highway holding a handful of five-dollar bills and a cardboard sign that reads, "I need to give; I love to help; please take some money." To date, he has distributed $935 to both rich and poor motorists alike.


Panhandling Against Justin Bieber

This panhandler offers a "good" reason to give him money in downtown Boston. 

New Yorker Panhandles for a Rich Wife

Robert Darling wears his heart on his sleeve — or, more accurately, on his chest.

He commutes once a week from his two-bedroom apartment in Bradley Beach, N.J. to seek love in Manhattan, panhandling for affection beneath a sandwich board. ”I'm looking for a wealthy lady to be my wife,” reads his entreaty, written in multi-colored marker.



The cardboard and duct tape sign folds into a neat square when Darling takes it to and from his home using New Jersey Transit. For nearly a decade, he has donned the portable personal advertisement at his three preferred love-seeking locations: the Metropolitan Museum of Art, Columbus Circle, and Wall Street. 


Police Officers Dress as Homeless People to Spot Distracted Drivers

A scruffy looking man with his hoodie up, clutching a tattered sign scrawled on a scrap of cardboard, shuffled up to a car at a busy intersection in a city west of Toronto. Drivers instinctively looked away.

However, this sign's wording was different from the usual begging appeal; “My name is Constable Mike Cairns. If you are reading this sign you are about to get a cell phone ticket.” Witness the latest police tactic in the crackdown on distracted drivers.



Across Canada, police officers have been dressing as panhandlers and clutching cardboard signs to mimic the curbside come-ons in order to get close enough to see drivers using handheld phones while driving. In a growing list of cities, the unusual undercover tactic is snagging motorists who are texting, dialing, emailing, or holding cell phones. 


Panhandling for New Boobs


You've probably never seen this sign on the side of the road before: “Not homeless! Need boobs!” 

Well, one woman is giving it a try. Chrissy Lance is hoping that generous drivers in Akron, Ohio will give her enough money to get breast implants. Her sign is honest; she's not homeless. She even has a job at a bar. 



The single mom tells drivers that breast implants would really boost her self-esteem. She plans to keep going out in her bikini until she raises enough money. It might take a while, though. When WKYC caught up with her, she only had $90. Of course, that was before her efforts made national headlines. 




And several others I found: 

                         















Your eyes must be tired by now,
so just a few cartoons:







                         





Does anybody know for an absolute fact that hard work never killed anyone?----fishducky

 






18 comments:

  1. Love those signs - particularly the last which seemed to be attracting some generous donors.
    There is a Callaghan cartoon which shows a man begging - with a sign with says I am black, blind - and not musical. I would donate to that one...
    How are you doing? I am glad to see that your sense of humour is thriving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My feeling is that Chrissy Lance will have better luck than Robert Darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the invisible panhandler the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope those Canadian policemen hand out a LOT of distracted driving tickets...we have a real problem here with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fly willing to work for manure really cracked me up. Thanks for starting my week with a laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are hilarious!!! I love the tree sign!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very clever! I'd donate to some of them, HA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd definitely donate to that guy wanting a t-shirt. All those are priceless and I love original thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  9. And then there was the sad and funny one about the guy whose sign read: I only need another $10 to get back home to Mexico. Apparently, he got tons of money. It is so good to have you back, fishducky.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You got me smiling big time.
    Good to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very funny. The boobs one reminded me of all the people in Vegas on the strip who had signs that said "I just REALLY like beer. God Bless.". Although, the baby one took it a bit too far... that reality is so, very, very, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would give them money if I had any on me at the time, just because they are different.
    Merle...................

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a hilarious idea for a post! Like Merle, I probably would give money to some of them just for their sense of humor and imagination! And poor Miss Boobless -- brainless and clueless apparently, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I put a link on Twitter to this post, hoping others will find needed laughter and you will find new friends. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are funny, but the people holding signs and begging for money are getting worse. When I turn into the shopping center for the nearest grocery store, people are always begging. Last summer during extreme heat I saw a woman there with three small children and more than once, saw people with dogs. Those children and dogs don't choose to be out in the heat with no water, begging.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  16. ahahaa ... good ones, Fran ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are BRILLIANT! The looking for a rich wife sign is hilarious. If I saw any of these signs on the streets my day would be made.
    I hope you are doing ok, and getting plenty of rest and TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I appreciate ALL your comments, but some days I'm just not able to respond individually--sorry!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.