Follow

Monday, April 14, 2014

THE LITTLE ENGINE THAT COULDN’T

Important (to me) notice: Starting next week, I'm cutting back a little on posting.  I'm eliminating Wednesday's post--I will post on Mondays & Fridays only!!


More fairy tales this week!

A little railroad engine was employed at a station yard for some light work moving a few cars on and off the switches.  One morning it was waiting for the next call when a long train of freight cars asked a large engine in the roundhouse to take it over the hill.  

The first engine that it asked said, "Sorry, there are too many cars for me!"  Then the train asked another engine, and another, only to hear excuses like “Union rules won’t let me, it’s too heavy,” “Today’s my day off,” and one even said, “I would, but I threw my back out “.

In desperation, the freight train asked the little engine if it could pull it up the grade and down on the other side.  "I think I can," puffed the little locomotive, and put itself in front of the great heavy train.  As it went on the little engine kept bravely puffing faster and faster and said to itself, "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can."

As it neared the top of the grade, which had so discouraged the larger engines, it went more slowly.  However, it still kept climbing and saying, "I think I can, I think I can."  It reached the top by using all its muscles and being very brave.  It then went on down the grade, feeling very pleased until it started sliding down.  No matter how hard the engineers pressed on their brakes, neither train could stop.  There was a tremendous crash! They soon lay in a mangled heap at the bottom of the hill.
 
The other trains rushed over and asked him what on earth had happened.  He said, "I thought I could, I thought I could, but I just couldn’t.  I gave it a really good try, though!”

Today's post was really short,
so here are lots of cartoons:











 






As Adam Savage says on “Mythbusters”, “I reject your reality & substitute my own.”----fishducky

 



23 comments:

  1. Watty Piper is rolling in her grave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HIS grave--according to Wikipedia, "Watty Piper" was a pen name of Arnold Munk, who was the owner of the publishing firm Platt & Munk. It helps to own your own publishing firm!!

      Delete
    2. When I wrote that I thought, "how do I know its a she?" Did not know it was a pen name. This was my daughters favorite story and for some reason every time I read it I repeated the title and the author..."The Little Engine That Could"...by Watty Piper. She giggled at that name. She is now 42 years ago and I'll bet a fortune if you asked her who wrote the book she would answer without hesitation Watty Piper...who knew Arnold Munk?

      Delete
  2. I was always told as a child to "be like the little train"....if only the folks could have seen some of those cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least he thought he could--some of us KNOW we can't!!

      Delete
  3. Ha! That ending is a little different than the one I remember! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just trying to keep everyone up to date!!

      Delete
  4. I would like to catch all the trains around the world you see so much more of the countryside and I like it better than flying.
    Merle..............

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little train was very brave, just needed a brake job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could your hubby have given him one? He can do almost everything else!!

      Delete
  6. Love it. And look after yourself.
    We think you can, we think you can...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW I can--& I am doing just that!!

      Delete
  7. Sometimes I think I can, but it usually ends up with couldn't. Poor train.
    Love love the cartoons. We all need to read more cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--that's why I put them in!!

      Delete
  8. You had to know I'd laugh at the artist painting the train. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you're feeling well, Fran … one of my favorite stories .. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhh, now we know how that bullet train works.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "If you can read this you're not a train", well thank goodness. I was feeling a little derailed, but I guess I'm just off track.

    Glad to see you're taking some time off, rest is so important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I drove my car today for the first time since my surgery--it felt WONDERFUL!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.