Follow

Monday, June 23, 2014

JUST A LITTLE HOSTESS GIFT





(Originally published 1/11/12)

We have a friend, Theo, in Texas who used to be an accountant for an oil company.  He wasn’t wealthy, but his job gave him access to a private plane & pilot.  He invited Bud & me to join him & his wife, Lynn, on a trip to the Grand Old Opry to celebrate his 50th birthday.  He sent out the plane to pick us up in Los Angeles.  (Flying in a private plane is lovely.  It should be on everyone’s bucket list.  I love when the pilot carries my luggage to the plane & asks when we would like to take off!)

We spent a few days in their home & then it was off to Nashville.  I was his “official” photographer & took lots of pictures of the birthday boy with the performers.  Everyone was “down home” & friendly.  It was a blast!  We then had OUR pilot fly us to New Orleans for more fun & lots of great food.  A few days there & it was time to go home.  On the private plane, of course.

We had such a marvelous time, a really nice thank you gift was in order.  I had taken my full length “mink” coat on the trip with me.  Even though this was before the days of PETA, it was not a real fur.  It was a man-made mink that looked exactly like a real one.  (Another friend had a real mink in the same color.  I put mine next to hers & you couldn’t tell where one stopped & the other started.  The color & texture were identical.) Theo had insisted on no gifts, but Lynn loved my coat so we decided to send one to her, with his permission.  He kept it a secret from his wife.

Her cleaning woman was at her house when United Parcel rang the bell.  She told Lynn that there was a package for her.  When Lynn saw who had sent it, she told the cleaning woman that she knew that it would be something nice & to sit down & watch while she opened it.  Lynn said her cleaning woman’s face almost hit the floor when she pulled out what seemed to be a full length mink coat!  The woman asked her why we had sent it.  She told her we were very nice people & that we sent it because we knew she would like it--& that it was a “hostess” thank you present.  

Lynn told us that the last thing she heard her cleaning woman say as she left the room was, “I wish I knew me some crazy rich people in California!”








This is Joe Namath:

I hate wearing dead animals, but the live ones bite & scratch----fishducky

 



20 comments:

  1. I tried on a fur coat once, I looked like a furry little box with feet lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aspen CO and Vail CO vie for THE place to ski and be seen in winter Colorado. A few years ago, Aspen considered a ban on real fur. Vail's marketing campaign that year was "come to Vail and wear any coat you want."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I'm an animal lover and appreciate Peta for what they do, I must acknowledge the fact that without fur and hides to keep us warm human beings would never have developed to dominate this planet. I don't believe in hunting wild animals for their fur but if they're grown in farms and humanly killed I think it's okay. Plus, a fur coat is deliciously cozy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PETA does a lot of good work but sometimes they OVERDO!!

      Delete
  4. I have a couple of faux fur coats, I could never wear a real one though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you own anything made of leather?

      Delete
  5. Those live ones do scratch a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, & the furrier charges extra for declawing them!!

      Delete
  6. My aunt gave me her full length white rabbit fur coat when I was in college. It no longer fit and she had some ethical issues about wearing it. She figured I could use it for something fun in one of my designs. I moved that damn coat 11 times... over 1400 miles... for nearly 15 years. Two years ago I tore that baby apart and made it BACK into a stuffed bunny rabbit named "Karma" and gave it to her for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Karma was a very appropriate name!!

      Delete
  7. How great that you wore a fake fur back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our concern was probably more about the price than the welfare of animals!!

      Delete
  8. It's unfortunate that the only way to get a fur coat is to kill the animal. Unlike sheep, which can be shorn and the wool just grows back.
    On the other hand, minks are grown especially for this purpose, much like beef cattle are bred and grown for steaks, and how many people wear leather shoes, leather coats and carry leather bags?
    I don't see the harm in a mink coat and if I could afford one I'd have one. And a matching hat to keep my ears warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Humm. The question of a fur coat never came up maybe because I live in Texas and my winter coatis a sweat shirt. I know you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ALWAYS have fun!! (See my post I HOPE I HAD A GOOD TIME! 12/21/13)

      Delete
  10. Ah ah I love the least interesting man in the world. I have a mink fur my mother-in-law gave me, and I don't know how to get rid of it. Apparently, you can't sell it online anywhere….DO you have any other friends with a private jet?……:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.