Follow

Monday, September 29, 2014

NOW THAT I'M 80...



I had a wonderful birthday Saturday.  First was my parade:

Then we went to one of my favorite restaurants for dinner.
I thought there was just going to be me & Bud, our son Blake &
Nameless & her husband & daughter but they had planned a small party:
There were 10 of us (all my favorite people) & balloons tied to the chairs:

Matt flew in from CT.  
He called me in the afternoon & told me he was stuck 
at home & couldn't come--he totally fooled me!!  
Here's me with my 3 kids:
Nameless also wants to be faceless:

They had a cake made with my picture on it:


After dinner we went home to open the rest of my presents.
We brought the balloons with us.
That's Nameless' daughter next to her.
She looks just like her mom, doesn't she?
Here's a closeup of the balloons.
They could only find them in Spanish:


Among other things, they gave me this picture.
It's big; I think 24"x36".
It doesn't look exactly like me, but I love it!!
We hung it in our dining room:



AND NOW, THE REST OF TODAY'S POST:


 ...these (stolen borrowed from Carolyn at http://amigoingsomeplace.blogspot.com) seem appropriate:










This is George Burn's view of aging:
Here are the lyrics:

At a bar down in Dallas an old man chimed in,
And I thought he was out of his head. 
Just being a young man I just laughed it off 
When I heard what that old man had said. 

He said I'll never again turn the young ladies heads, 
Or go running off into the wind.
I'm three quarters home from the start to the end. 
And I wish I was eighteen again.

I wish I was eighteen again,
And going where I've never been.
But old folks, and old oaks
Standing tall just pretend.
I wish I was eighteen again.

Now time turns the pages 
And oh, life goes so fast.
The years turn the black hair all grey.
I talked to some young folks, 
Hey they don't understand 
The words this old man's got to say.

I wish I was eighteen again,
And going where I've never been.
But old folks and old oaks 
Standing tall, just pretend.
I wish I was eighteen again.

Lord, I wish I was eighteen again!

















Check the sidebar for a chance
to win a free copy of
"Old Broads Waxing Poetic"




I used to be the picture of health, now I'm no longer on display----fishducky

 




28 comments:

  1. My dear day-brightener, happy birthday. Surely the best of times. My compliments and appreciation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if I ever welcomed you to my blog, so...WELCOME!!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad that your birthday was as happy as you deserve.
    Love this post - but would HATE to be eighteen again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the only way I would consider being eighteen again is if I could go back knowing everything I know now.. So glad your big day went well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all in your point of view. I'm reminded of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., when he saw an attractive woman on his 90th birthday. He said, "Oh, to be 70 again."

      Delete
  4. I remember George Burns singing I Wish I Was 18 Again. The fact that I can remember George Burns singing puts me in that older than dirt category. No problem, I am glad that I get to enjoy all the milestones in life.

    Happy Birthday, Funny Lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You remember him singing that? Half the time I can't even remember my name!!

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday, 80 years OLD! Don't fall for that 80 years young crap, even if you still think, act and feel young.

    Sorry I missed your party, but it was a good TV night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We waited as long as we could, then we just went ahead & ate!!

      Delete
  6. Very fun time, and so glad you had an enjoyable birthday, even if it was 80. Love that first picture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not actually a picture of me, you know!!

      Delete
  7. Congratulations. Now you're an octogenarian, which sounds like you've got eight arms. Happy Birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of that, but you're RIGHT!!

      Delete
  8. What in the hell do you mean by all your favorite people were there? I WASN'T THERE.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apologies to the Grammar Queen!! What I meant was that all of the people who were there were AMONG my favorites; not that ALL of my favorites were there. You, some in-laws & 3 of my grandchildren were missing.

      Delete
  9. Dear Fran, it's the folding of those fitted sheets that puzzle me!!!! Besides about a zillion other things. Have a wonderful 80th year. I'm one and a half years away from meeting/greeting that awe-inspiring goal. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I CAN fold fitted sheets, but I don't have to any more--Olivia comes once a week!!

      Delete
  10. Sounds like your birthday was perfect, parade and all though I do think you are fibbing about your age. You can't be 80. Looking entirely too good. That list had me nodding and giggling. It really hit close to home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was born 80 years ago, but I'll ALWAYS be 36 in my mind!!

      Delete
  11. That's you up there with your sons? You certainly don't look 80. My 64 year old neighbour looks older than you!Love all the funnies, I saved one for a future whimsical Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to start telling everyone that I'm 100--I look OK for 80, but I look GREAT for 100!!

      Delete
  12. What a great day! I love the balloons AND the picture. I'd hang that up in my house any day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy belated Birthday fishducky!!!! Lots of Birthday love and hugs!

    Hayley-Eszti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--love & hugs right back atcha!!

      Delete
  14. I'm with River.... if looks count, you look young, babe. How do you do it? This coming summer I'm having my own 85th birthday year party. I turn 85 in March and it would have to be an indoor party but I want it outside. You have a precious family to be so aware of your birthday. Belated Greetings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I look so young (my skin doesn't fit nearly as well as it used to) but THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.