Follow

Monday, October 6, 2014

INVENTIONS INVENTORS INVENTED




MOST WORTHLESS NEW INVENTIONS


Water proof towel 

Glow in the dark sunglasses

Solar powered flashlights

Submarine screen doors

A book on how to read

Inflatable dart boards

A dictionary index

Powdered water

Pedal powered wheel chairs

Waterproof tea bags

Watermelon seed sorter

Zero proof alcohol

Reusable ice cubes

See through toilet tissue

Skinless bananas

Do it yourself road map
ArcaMax.com





World's Most Useless Machine Now With A Twist! Nice


The phone was an extremely useful invention that has evolved greatly through the years.  Even toy phones have changed:


I used to be able to go to a restaurant with my family & wonder aloud what time it is in Iceland or who played the villain in an old movie.  That, at least, gave you something to talk about for a while even if you didn’t really care about the answer.  No more.  Now, if I should happen to muse about Iceland’s time zone, someone will whip out a phone, click a couple of buttons & tell me, “It’s 7:30pm PST here in California & Iceland is 8 hours ahead of us, so it’s 3:30am UTC/GMT tomorrow there.”  That’s already more than I really wanted to know.  Then they will continue, “GMT is Greenwich Mean Time.  UTC is Coordinated Universal Time or in French: Temps Universel Coordonne.  UTC was decided as the acronym because it was thought CUT or TUC were not appropriate.  GMT & UTC are the same.”  I’m surprised they didn’t tell me how to make a watch.  I’ll have to ask them about that, sometime…

The best use of the telephone:

At times, I think the phone uses us:










What was the best thing before sliced bread? ----fishducky

 




26 comments:

  1. The telephone is certainly one of the greatest inventions but like anything else, if carried to the extreme can become a pain in the butt. I rarely carry my phone with me and have been accused many times of not returning calls.
    Another week ahead of us. Hope it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I WOULD carry my cell phone in my pocket but a lot of women's clothes don't have pockets!!

      Delete
  2. I've tried to wend my way through those endless 'press this/press that' instructions. I nearly always get lost and end up somewhere off the wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From an old post: I don’t know who thought of this, but I DO know they’re my kind of people. Some company—I can’t remember which—had an 800 number which was answered by a machine offering you a menu to reach the extension you wanted. It said to press 1 through 7 to reach a certain department. Nothing unusual, right? Well, not until it said, “To hear a duck quack, press 8.” I did, & that’s exactly what I heard! The company had absolutely nothing to do with ducks. Someone just had a sense of humor--& didn’t want to waste option #8. I must have called them 50 times!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for my telephone chuckles for a Monday morning. Very cute group.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, it's a day for inventions (my blog had an invention, too!).

    The premature voice recognition assumption is alive and well at my house. My phone number is on a list for "support" and apparently a lot of people think that I know them. They'll call and just start in with their issue and a cloud of question marks floats over my head.

    Great post, fishducky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVED your post--please send me a drone so I can get another dog!!

      Delete
  5. I needed this post, thank you so much, fishducky. My phone only phones and texts, but now when the computer that answers your call, your important call, tells you to press one or two or whatever, my phone can't do that. Something in the press button thingy is broken and I can't reach anyone!! If it weren't for my hubby's phone I would be totally out of luck. Now because of this press 1 or 2 or 3 malfunction, I have to buy a new phone when other than that, my phone is fine??? Not fair, say I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean you can't even press 1 for English?

      Delete
  6. Very true funnies here.
    However, the solar powered flashlights--oops, I have one of those. It charges in the sun, shines in the dark. Good for camping.
    Those cans on a wire worked pretty good didn't they. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should take that one off the list!! Any others--how about the waterproof tea bags?

      Delete
  7. It would make me so happy to call an office or a store or any kind of business and have a real person answer the phone. The person would also be polite and take care of my problem. I think a business that has real people answering the phone could advertise that as an advantage with their company.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't have a mobile phone, the only other person without one I know is 97 shows wisdom does come with age, but in my case I just kept forgetting to take it with me when I went out so I thought whats the point.
    Merle..................

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one, but I don't think that ANYONE, including myself, is so important that they can't be unreachable for a couple of hours!!

      Delete
  9. The best thing before sliced bread?
    UNsliced bread, fresh from the baker, we'd cut a good thick slice, slather it with butter and jam, take it outside to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Fishducky, I have a cell phone that my niece bought for me when Meniere's was so bad. She wanted to be sure that I could get help if I fell. I never use it here in Independence, but when I go visiting, I do use it to call home and check with the person is taking care of the cats.

    As to those inventions. I laughed out loud when the box waved the white flag of surrender!

    And for me, a book to teach us how to read is like the dictionary in that I am a miserable speller and in order to find a word in the dictionary I need to know how to spell it because I can't sound it out. Sometimes, when I call friends to ask for a spelling, I haven't even been using the right first letter of the word to look it up! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why hasn't anyone published a PHONETIC dictionary?

      Delete
    2. I'm sure they have, I'm sure they're out there somewhere, google phonetic dictionaries.

      Delete
    3. I just did--this is one of them: http://www.gabbyswordspeller.com/

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.