Follow

Thursday, January 8, 2015

BITS & PIECES OF THIS & THAT FROM MOM/GRANDMA'S PAST



When Nameless was about a year old & I was very pregnant with our next one, she & I were marketing in an extremely crowded grocery store.  She was seated in the cart facing me & I was wearing maternity pants & a loose fitting smock on top.  She had been told to be careful of my stomach because there was a baby in there.  She lifted up my top & yelled, "I wanna see the baby!!"  I was still young enough at the time to be embarrassed.

I used to bite my nails badly.  When I had kids I decided I had to stop so they wouldn't pick up the habit.  I was about 30 at the time & I told my friend John that I had stopped.  He said to tell him again in 50 years so he could know for sure that I had really quit.  It's been 50 years & John--I still don't bite my nails!! 

I got a piece of junk mail from someone or something called Tennille Frith.  When I glanced quickly at it, I read it as Terminal Filth.  Maybe it was--I didn't open it.  I was also sent an ad that said “your personality matches with photos”—I read it as “with psychos"!!  This sort of thing happens to me occasionally.  I remember when my kids were around 10, I was sitting in my car in a market parking lot while one of them ran into the store to get something.  I was looking around at the market's sales signs (& obviously at the signs at the gas station next door)  when I thought I saw a sign that said "Nectarine on Duty".  It's nice to know that there are jobs available for people (& fruit) that want them!!

When Nameless II was born her parents named her something that rhymes with "ara".  I wrote her a song that I used to sing to her while I was changing her diaper or trying to soothe her.  It must have had 15 verses but I can only remember a few of them.  The melody was sort of singsong. It went something like this: "--ara, --ara, --ara, --ara, in your beautiful tiara, I’ll be back again tomorra’ to see --ara, --ara, --ara” & “--ara, --ara, --ara, --ara, riding on your capybara, I’ll be back again tomorra’ to see --ara, --ara, --ara” & "--ara, --ara, --ara, --ara, drive your really fast sports car-a, I’ll be back again tomorra’ to see --ara, --ara, --ara” & lastly, "--ara, --ara, --ara, --ara, you are prettier than Farrah, I’ll be back again tomorra’ to see --ara, --ara, --ara”

Nameless asked me to not be so cute with her young daughter.  I once told her I was very hungry; that my stomach was "full of empty".  The next day in nursery school, when asked if she wanted a snack, that's what she told her teacher.  Everyone but Nameless II was confused.

Erma Bombeck once said, “Grandchildren are God’s reward for letting your own children live.”  I think she was right.  I was staying at my Nameless’ house to help out while she had her second baby.  My then 2 year old other granddaughter was attached to me like Velcro.  She even ate all her meals while sitting on my lap.  I tried to explain to her that I couldn’t stay forever, that I had my own house to take care of & that her grandpa needed me, too.  I asked her if she understood that I would have to leave soon.  She hugged me & in a sweet, loving, singsong voice, said, “Yes—but not todaaaaaay!”

Nameless II was about 1 1/2 years old when she came to our house for Christmas.  There were a bazillion or two gifts under the tree. (My family used to claim that if I gave someone a deck of cards I would wrap each one individually.  Possibly a slight exaggeration.)  Anyway, she took one look at the tree & the gifts & her eyes grew huge.  She drew in a deep breath & said in a baby voice, "So many pwesents--all fo' Nameless II !!"

A couple of years later (the girls were about 2 & 4) we were at a restaurant with them having dinner.  The younger one—we’ll call her Nameless III—had just finished her dinner & was very sleepy.  The server came to our table & asked if we wanted dessert.  We told her no, but Nameless III said she wanted some.  Her daddy told her she was much too tired.  She said, very politely, “No, Daddy, I’m not.  I’d really like some…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.”  She was out like a light!!

Matt was out here from Connecticut, staying with his brother Blake, when the 9/11 terrorist attack occurred.  As you'll remember, all planes were grounded after that for a week or so. Matt's 6 year old daughter, Lisa, missed her daddy.  Her mom tried to explain to her why he couldn't get a plane home for a while.  Lisa asked her mom, "Why can't he walk?"

I've run this before but a grandma likes to kvell (Yiddish for brag):

Bud & I were at a restaurant with our daughter, her husband & their two teen aged daughters.  One of the girls said that some movie star, I think it was Johnny Depp, was cool.  Their father asked, “What about me?  I’m cool.”  They laughed & told him, “Dad, you’re not cool!”  He asked if their mom was cool.  “No.”  “What about Grandpa?  Is Grandpa cool?”  They thought for a minute & said, “Not really.”  He then asked, “How about Grandma?  Is she…”  Before he could finish his question, they answered, in one voice, “Yeah, Grandma’s cool!”









The older you get the better you realize you were----fishducky

 








22 comments:

  1. Grandchildren are special treasures indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially if they are the brightest & most beautiful children ever--like mine!!

      Delete
  2. This past year I finally know what everyone was talking about. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When grandma gets called "cool" - all is right with the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is they STILL think so!!

      Delete
  4. Such great fun for us grandparents, FD. My granddaughters think I'm cool, because I don't look like a "frumpy grandma".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep wondering what type pf grandparent I'll make. We're still waiting....

    ReplyDelete
  6. My grandchildren think i'm an old crank. I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they just think you're a JERK!!

      Delete
  7. I loved the fruit on duty and all of the Nameless stuff. I still remember all the goodies our grandparents would bring when they came to visit. One thing was called Non-Stop, a great name for some candies, similar to M&Ms. Thanks for the laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All fun stuff. I'm not a grandmother but I was a grandchild. What a blessing that was. The only time you are thought of as perfect.
    That had to be the coolest compliment ever. Gives me an idea for a post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may no longer be perfect, but you can ALWAYS be cool!!

      Delete
  9. You are reminding me of all that I am missing.
    Fun post. Sentimental smiles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is good, anyway--& it's the only one we've got!!

      Delete
  10. I love every word of this and I love my grandchildren so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I love you. How would you feel about an affair? Bud won't mind!!

      Delete
  11. The Hurricane was kind of an odd child. Quite often I was the only person who knew what she meant. That's because I taught her my strange way of talking.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor little Hurricane!! I'm sure you were/are a GREAT mom!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.