Follow

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

THE LITTLE & THE NOT SO LITTLE



Indisputable truth that there is a race of giants who do laundry:



Stick around--you might just learn something!!  Mother Nature is very indiscriminate about the size of the creatures she has put here on Earth.  Here are some examples:


Pygmy Marmosets
(These are babies--aren't they adorable?)

Pygmy Owl 
Within the species of owls there is no shortage of pygmies. There are around 34 species/subspecies although this is not completely agreed upon. About half of those are spread about the Americas.

Pygmy Seahorse
The Pygmy Seahorse is found in the western central Pacific coastal areas, in the south of Japan, Indonesia and northern Australia. It is only about 2.5 cm or 1 inch tall.. The male has a pouch and the female deposits her eggs there. The eggs stay in the male’s pouch until hatched.

Pygmy Elephant
Still a big elephant, but not quite so big as some of the others.
Pygmy Goat

Pygmy Horse

Pygmy Chameleon

African Pygmy Hedgehog

Pygmy Jerboa
This little hopping long-eared Pygmy Jerboa may be the world's smallest rodent.

The Largest Animal Ever: The Blue Whale

The Blue Whale’s tongue weighs around 2.7 metric tons (5,952 pounds), about the size of an average Asian Elephant and its heart weighs about 600 kg(1,300 lb) and is the largest known in any animal. Not only is the heart similar size to a Mini-Cooper car but also comparable in weight.

African Bush Elephant
The adult African Bush Elephant generally has no natural predators due to its great size, but the calves (especially the newborn) are vulnerable to lion and crocodile attacks, and (rarely) to leopard and hyena attacks.

Giraffe
.Giraffes are the tallest animals in the world

Saltwater Crocodile
The African Saltwater Crocodile is the largest of all living reptiles.

The English translation of "War and Peace"
contains over 560,000 words.

In 1948, Fredric Brown wrote a short horror story, “Knock.”
This is it in its entirety:
 “The last man on Earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door.”























Be yourself--who else can you be?----fishducky

 











24 comments:

  1. Lots of examples of the large and the small of it.....those miniature goats are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen these pigmy goats up close and they are so cute. Great job with these FD. And the cartoons! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to put some awe & some aahhh in my posts to keep them awesome!!

      Delete
  3. I love that horror short story. It really got my imagination going. Brilliant! Did you see the book on my blog these past few days? It's about our canyon here and I think you would enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that story was amazing!! (I'll look into the book.)

      Delete
  4. Good stuff, love the pygmy goat. The short story is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always wanted a pygmy goat. They have them at our petting zoo and they are so lovable. Now, I'll add the marmoset to my want list. How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much here to comment on, but I'm amazed by that incredibly succinct short story. I've been working on a piece of horror flash fiction (500 words) and having difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try getting rid of about 480 words!!

      Delete
  7. Big, big smiles. Mad marmoset lady has a certain ring to it...
    Hemingway (I think it was him) also wrote a very, very short story.
    'For sale. Wedding dress. Never used.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it--did they ever make it into a movie?

      Delete
  8. Very interesting post.
    I did not realize that such tiny versions of otherwise regular size animals existed. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should see a miniature fishducky!!

      Delete
  9. Love the ears on the Pygmy Jerboa! Looks like a combination rodent and insect because they look like wings! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think he could fly like Dumbo?

      Delete
  10. I was blown away with the 17 word horror story. Brilliant. I can't even hold a comment to 17 words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were only 20 words in your comment!!

      Delete
  11. From one extreme to the other today.
    I like the giant peg, but I LOVE the pygmy marmoset babies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fran, your pictures made me want a marmoset...then a hedge hog...

    The goats in your picture look exactly like the Nigerian Dwarf goats I raised. Now I miss them, too, ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Latest score: Pygmy goats 5, marmosets 3, hedgehogs 1!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.