Follow

Thursday, March 19, 2015

SOME MORE THINGS I REMEMBER





My mother-in-law wrote a book for each of my kids when they were small. In Matt's she said, "My mother got me a haircut. She called it a crewcut. My Grandma called it a shame!!"

When I was a teenager hip hugger pants were in style.  One of my friends had a younger brother, about 4 or 5 years old.  Although he really wanted to, he couldn’t wear hip huggers because he had yet to develop hips.  We used to con him into picking up things we had dropped or bringing us things by telling him, “You’ll get hips!!”  He believed it for about a year or so.

When Nameless III was a few months old, her mom & dad brought her & her sister to my house for dinner.  I was cooking & my son-in-law came into the kitchen to talk to me.  He said, "Mom, I think Nameless III is really beautiful.  I think all babies are pretty, but Nameless III is gorgeous. What do you think?"  I said, "I agree with you, but I'm probably prejudiced.  After all, I am her grandmother!!"  He told me, "We're not the only ones who think so--my mother thinks so, too!!"

When our parents celebrated their 50th anniversaries, we gave each set of parents a new car.  We were seeing a psychiatrist at the time.  We told him about the cars & that both my father & my father-in-law said we were crazy.  We asked him if we were crazy.  He said, "Of course you're crazy!  Can I have a new car?"   

I've run this before, but you probably don't remember it:

If you subscribe to the theory, as I do, that the brain is like a computer, then you know that it has a finite number of memory bytes.  As we age, gravity pulls these memories down, filling first our feet, then our legs, our bellies & butts (which would also explain why many older people seem to have gained weight in these areas) & boobs (which is probably what causes sagging) & finally reach our brains, which eventually become full.  Since humans don’t have a DELETE key, there is simply no room for new memories.  This is why we people “of a certain age” can remember who sat next to us in the third grade but have no idea of what we ate for lunch yesterday.  We are NOT forgetful—WE ARE SIMPLY FULL!!


Have I run this for you before?

Here are the lyrics:

Midnight – I wake up and remember
That I left the door open with the groceries outside.
Where the hell did I put my keys? Oh, look here they are
Underneath the TV Guide.

Mem’ry, what became of the short term
I remember the old days, I was sharper back then
If I eat fish and do the crosswords every day
Will the brain cells grow again?

I could swear I put those tickets right here in my wallet,
Now I’m late; I thought the show starts at eight;
I wrote that in my whatchamacallit.

Damn! What did I walk in this room for?
Maybe when I was younger, I took too many ’ludes.
Where’s that ginko biloba that I picked up today?
Oh, I left it at Whole Foods.

What the heck is that guy’s name?
He sings with me in choir.
Did I turn both of the burners off?
Or is my house on fire?

Shoot me, put me out of my misery
Or just leave me to wander Soldier Field Parking Lot.
If they ask, tell them I once had a memory too.
What was the question? I forgot.










 I count on this being true:

This is for my kids:


You know you are getting old when everything either dries up or leaks----fishducky

 






18 comments:

  1. Sigh.
    A very, very true post (I seem to remember).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry--what were we talking about?

      Delete
  2. I'll have to remember that password tip lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mother has a bad memory and I enjoy making her laugh by repeating jokes to her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You reminded me of this:

      Four guys have been stranded on a desert island for several years when one day a survivor from another shipwreck swims up to the shore. He hears a man yell “17” & everybody laughs. Another man yells “9” & still another “23”—both followed by raucous laughter. He asks someone why those numbers are funny & the man replies, “We haven’t heard any new jokes for years, so we numbered the ones we know. It’s easier to call out a number than it is to tell the whole joke.” The new man, wanting to fit in, says, “15”--only to be greeted with complete silence. He asks if 15 wasn’t funny. He’s told, “It’s one of our best; but it isn’t just the joke—it’s the way you tell it!!”

      Delete
  4. I have a friend who went to see Still Alice. The next day she couldn't find her car for a few moments when she came out of WalMart, so she thinks she is going into Alzheimers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think a bad memory is God's way of making sure we get exercise as we age. Looking for our car in the parking lot can take care of most of those 10,000 steps we need per day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know I am only 40, yet I am subject to the dreaded sticky notes... All. Over. The. House.

    True story. I have them everywhere. On the cabinets, in the car, on my work desk, on the back door.

    If it's not on a sticky note, it's not getting done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 80, but my memory is still GREAT!! Why, just yesterday......who's calling, please?

      Delete
  7. Once when I was about 40, I lost my car in the Disneyland parking lot. And a bit later I threw out both my partial dentures and a check in the trash. Hubby never misses an opportunity to remind me of the check. I was only in my 50s and I haven't done anything that dumb since. Maybe there's hope. You should read Still Alice, it is really good and not as scary as one would think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't picture your sweet hubby doing that--is that something he learned from Bud?

      Delete
  8. "each capsule contains a tiny hard drive."
    Where can I get some of those??

    ReplyDelete
  9. The "note to self" cartoon - bwahahahaha!

    Seriously, I used to be able to juggle twenty things at once without forgetting a thing. Now I'm starting to forget that I forgot.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.