Follow

Thursday, August 6, 2015

A POST FOR NEWLYWEDS WHO HOPE TO SOMEDAY BE OLDYWEDS

If you think that all marriages start out like this:

And have to end up like this, you're wrong:

Being married is sometimes like having an annoying roommate and every little thing bugs you. But sometimes it’s like having a constant sleepover with your best friend.  Today is our 60th & 1/2 wedding anniversary (we were married 2/6/55) & it's amazing how not sick we are of each other yet.  I guess we no longer qualify as newlyweds.  Of course, it doesn't hurt our relationship that our eyesight is going:


Or that our hearing losses keep conversations interesting. 

This is an actual conversation we had about my medications a couple of months ago--at least, this is the way we heard it:

Bud: These meds are made in India!!

Me: So?  Cows do fine work.

Bud: Llamas.

Me: Llamas are in Peru!!

Bud: I said "Brahmas".

Me: Barrack Obrahma?

Of course, we always take life seriously &
still dress properly for any occasion.  
This is us at our nephew's recent 60th birthday party:



Like many other young couples, 
we had a burning desire to be married:


Our parents weren't sure we were made for each other:



We had a traditional ceremony:



We followed all the rules of happy marriages
that had been handed down worldwide for centuries:




After several years my husband decided to assert himself:

Of course, that caused problems.
We didn't communicate as well:




We had grown apart:



We thought about going our own ways:






But that created other problems:




It was then that we realized how much 
we truly needed each other:


We no longer needed words to communicate:

We love each other for who we are:



Did you know:

Oldyweds can still enjoy 
those playful little romantic moments:











I never knew what real happiness was until I got married…then it was too late----fishducky

 






























15 comments:

  1. OMG! You've got Anya from Buffy trading the kids for more cash :)

    That man with his toe on the scales is getting burnt meatloaf for dinner for the rest of his life if she finds out.

    If lost return to Jan/I'm Jan t-shirts made me giggle.
    Love the butt-lift...

    My ex-hubby used to have a t-shirt that read, "we were happy for twenty blissful years, then we met each other..."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your ex's t-shirt the reason he's your ex?

      Delete
    2. No. That t-shirt was actually a birthday gift for him from me.
      I got one on our anniversary that said Happy Adversity.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. A wise response--I guess you're not ALWAYS a jerk!!

      Delete
  3. Big smiles.
    My mother nailed it for me. She told me 'it is not that I think the people I love are perfect. I just prefer their faults to other people's virtues'. Which was generous of the faultless woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy 60.5 anniversary. Pretty darn impressive and I loved your roommate / best friend reference. What most people shoot for but too often miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you--we celebrated by having our teeth cleaned & then going out to lunch with the dentist & his wife!!

      Delete
  5. My wife would probably divorce me if I taped over Downton Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taping over Downton Abbey, NEVER--taping over wedding video, maybe!!

      Delete
  6. Twice the man applies here! Great selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, I'm now about 1 5/8 times the woman!!

      Delete
  7. I threw up the morning after our wedding night. It was a sign.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Which you ignored for several years!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.