Follow

Wednesday, September 30, 2015

TRIALS, TRIBULATIONS & TOES






(A reworked post which first appeared in WOMEN: WE SHALL OVERCOME in January, 2012.)


Now that I’m 81, I'm not only clumsy, I’m becoming decrepit.  Which is strange, because I don’t remember ever being crepit.  Or ept.  Or even ane.  You look to be sympathetic.  Let me tell you some of my woes.

I’m diabetic, which has not been much of a problem.  One time, however, I had a sore on my leg which refused to heal.  My doctor thought pure oxygen would help.  He had me go for treatments in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber.  This is what divers use when they get the bends.  This is not for those of you with claustrophobia, which I do not have.  You lie in a coffin-like chamber that has a glass top & sides so you can watch TV.  While you’re in there you breathe pure oxygen.  It’s something “normal” people never need.  The treatments take about an hour each, in a series of about 15.  I usually fell asleep.

My main problem has been with my feet--specifically, my toes.  I refuse to wear shoes unless it’s absolutely necessary.  I never wear them in the house.  When my kids were small & they’d see me wearing shoes, they’d ask where I was going.  I used to give small dinner fancy parties with crystal, china, sterling & bare feet.  I have broken several toes by bumping them into chairs.

The first time I ever broke a toe, my husband & I were playing cards at my brother & sister-in-law’s house on a Sunday evening.  My brother-in-law was a veterinarian.  We decided that he would bandage my foot & I would see my doctor Monday, instead of bothering him on the weekend.  Apparently, my brother in law used a LOT of bandage to wrap it, because when I went to my doctor the next day he asked, “Who the hell bandaged your foot?  It looks like a hoof!”  I said, “Funny you should mention that.  My veterinarian did it.”


Another time, I had just had arthroscopic surgery on my knee.  The morning after the surgery, I was in bed when the doorbell rang.  My husband had gone to work.  I grabbed my crutches, which I was not used to using, & started to “run” to the door.  I fell & broke my toe against the wall, trying to protect my knee.  My yelling woke my son, who came out to see what was happening.  He helped me up & got me back into bed, then went to the front door.  The UPS driver had left a package for me.  In it was a beautiful new cane, hand decorated in lace, which a friend had sent me.  If she hadn’t sent it, I wouldn’t have needed it!  Sometimes I feel like the old joke that goes, “Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?”

I had a mastectomy a couple of years ago.  That didn’t bother me too much except that after I finally got my arm back in working order, I fell & broke it.  It still doesn’t work perfectly.  For quite a while I couldn’t pull up my own underwear.  My son, my husband & I were talking about online dating.  I said I should put my name out there with the description, "Old broad who can't pull up her own underwear."  Blake thought that should get me several hits!!

I once bought an embroidered pillow for a friend.  Maybe I should have gotten one for myself, too.  It shows a cow lying on her back with her udder hanging to one side.  It says, with the letters dragging down, towards the bottom corner, “No, really--I’m f   i    n     e….”

Sort of like this:















A meal is not considered finished until I spill something on my shirt----fishducky

 



18 comments:

  1. Classy? Elegant?
    Sadly food stains, trips and bruises are the only choices open to me. And yes, I have broken toes too. Several toes, some of them twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have long ago lost count of my broken toes!!

      Delete
  2. Random gravity checks, that's a new one. laughing at that poor guy who invented the wheel which then ran over his foot.

    I'm rather glad I'm not the clumsy type. I do tend to sometimes drip food on my shirt though, usually spaghetti sauce, because I'm typing while eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I'm only eating while I'm eating, I still drop stuff on my shirt!!

      Delete
  3. I do bump and bang up my toes and chins quite often. I wear socks, but don't wear shoes in the house. I was thinking now down on first floor I may have to invest in some slippers. Maybe I should get some with some heft to them to protect my toes--like having toe bumpers--LOL! You wouldn't think anyone who moves as slowly as I do could bump into anything. Well, I think I do need new glasses. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you mean toes and chins or toes and SHINS? And slippers that are heavy enough to protect the feet feel like shoes--UGH!!

      Delete
  4. I think the airbag shoe might be a good idea for you...oh wait, you don't wear shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That one's out, Joe--do you have a Plan B?

      Delete
  5. I believe I must be a member of your club. It's ridiculous how many times I've broken my toes. On the plus side, it doesn't take much to "curl my toes"... they're in that position permanently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are curly toes a genetic thing, like curly hair? I don't have either!!

      Delete
  6. I'm more clumsy than ever now that I wobble on the left side.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you be more stable if you had an equilateral wobble?

      Delete
  7. Totally lost it with the hoof. For a few years now, the earth and I are becoming better acquainted. So far I can blame winter ice. Broken toes are why I always wear shoes nowdays, except to bathe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My doctor still talks about my "hoof"!!

      Delete
  8. I've never been accused of being clumsy, but I've never been called graceful either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have forever had a stain on my shirt. Doesn't matter which one , but there's always a stain on the "shelf". Yup... the whole ample boobie thing is great for say, sneaking candy into the movies, but for stain free living? Nope.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.