Follow

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

WARNING: THIS POST MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS


Thanks, River!!

Kittens sleep better when they’re tucked in!!




Did you know that sleeping is the only thing you have to pretend you're doing so that you can do it?  (Think about it—when you go to bed, you lie there quietly & close your eyes!!)

When my granddaughters were about 2 & 4 we were at a restaurant with them having dinner.  The younger one--Nameless III--had just finished her dinner & was very sleepy.  The server came to our table & asked if we wanted dessert.  We told her no, but Nameless III said she wanted some.  Her daddy told her she was much too tired.  She said, very politely, “No, Daddy, I’m not.  I’d really like some…zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.”  She was out like a light!!

Bud learned many things while he was in the Army.  He learned to give & receive orders, how to deal with neurotic superior officers & how to care for & fire a weapon.  (Since he was a Finance Officer, he was required to sleep with a loaded .45 on the nightstand next to him when the payroll was in.  He tossed & turned in his sleep so I learned to stay awake those nights.)  He had to attend many lectures, so he considers the most important thing he learned was how to sit up, keep his eyes open & hold a pen--all while sleeping!!

More about Bud, the source of so much blog fodder (Thank you, Honey!!): He used to talk in his sleep constantly.  He doesn't do that now & I'm glad because this can often be the cause of problems.  For instance, there was the night I was awakened by him talking loudly “on the phone”.  He said--& this is a direct quote, “He’s got as much chance of doing that as I have of screwing Elizabeth!”  I took a deep breath.  He continued his “conversation”, “That is the name of the present queen of England, isn’t it?”  I remember another classic.  When I got into bed, he was sound asleep.  He put his arms around me & drew me close, cuddling me.  He murmured, “Take a letter…..”












My son-in-law, Signore Anonimo (Mr. Nameless), loves couches.  He naps on them whenever possible.  Every night he falls asleep on the couch & sometimes--but not often--he later wakes up & goes upstairs to bed.  He & our son Blake are very good friends.  They have decided that if they ever had the opportunity to live like the old Roman emperors they would have a couch room in their palace.  Also a vomitorium, so if they wanted to eat more after a feast they could make room for a refill.  This may happen to Signore Anonimo one day:


My ex-brother-in-law was a college professor, with 3 small children.  He needed summer jobs to stay financially afloat.  One year he got a job filling cans in a paint store.  The job was so boring that occasionally he'd deliberately splash some paint on the floor just so he'd have to wake up & clean it--otherwise he'd fall asleep.
____________________
When I woke up this morning my girlfriend asked me, "Did you sleep good?" and I said, "No, I made a few mistakes."----Stephen Wright
____________________
____________________
The amount of sleep needed by the average person is five minutes more----Max Kaufman
____________________ 
After she woke up, a woman told her husband, "I just dreamed that you gave me a pearl necklace for our anniversary. What do you think it means?"

"You'll know tonight." he said

That evening, the man came home with a small package and gave it to his wife.
Delighted, she opened it to find a book entitled "The Meaning of Dreams."



Do you have to have your bed, pillows & blankets
just right before you can fall asleep?
To see dogs that don't have that problem,

Do you have difficulty falling asleep?


Staying asleep?

Or not?

Did you know that some snails can sleep
for up to three years?














 Thanks for this one, Melynda!!


Laugh & the world laughs with you, snore & you sleep alone----Anthony Burgess (& fishducky)

 


14 comments:

  1. Love Mel waking up on the wrong side of the bed.
    I have no trouble falling asleep and used to have no trouble staying asleep.
    Now I have a cat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a cat WILL change your sleep/life cycles!!

      Delete
  2. Many years ago, the smaller portion sat bolt upright in bed. I asked 'what's wrong?'. In a very angry voice he said 'Its NOTHING I tell you', lay back down and continued sleeping...
    I still wonder about that one.
    And envy those who sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always find a Pickles that I haven't seen--or don't remember. Love them.
    If I find out snails dream, that will be my choice of coming back as.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What if they dream about being asleep?

      Delete
  4. Ha! How Well I Sleep is a perfect example of what happens to my wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When life gets boring I guess the idea of sleeping can be exciting!!

      Delete
  5. Ha! Best part of being retired, I can nap when I want and if I can't sleep at night it doesn't matter, I got nothing to be awake for i9n the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've just described my life--see my comment just above "Links to this post"!!

      Delete
  6. One word... Melatonin.

    Can't sleep without it. My brain spins constantly as soon as I stop... so I take the little pill. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have trouble sleeping--I have trouble waking up!!

      Delete
  7. These were great! I loved the pics of the sleeping dogs, too.
    The only thing that has kept me basically on days the past few years has been melatonin. I definitely pretend to sleep until the mind chatter subsides. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should make ear plugs for the brain!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.