Follow

Wednesday, March 2, 2016

THE EXTRA LARGE “MAN THING”


(Reworked from an August, 2012 post with all new cartoons.)

When Blake, our youngest son, got married he & his wife eloped to Las Vegas.  I guess they didn’t want all the fancy trappings that go with a formal wedding.  Soon after their return we threw them a wedding reception.  I decided I had a right to see them get married, so I performed a wedding ceremony.  (No, I am not a minister.)  It was short & went something like this: “Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today to reunite this man & this woman in holy matrimony.  Please join hands.  Diane, do you promise to love & honor Blake & to let him have the TV remote control?  ‘I do.’  Blake, do you promise to love & honor Diane & to put the toilet seat down?  ‘I do.’  I now re-pronounce you husband & wife.  You may kiss the bride!”  They were later married (again!) in a Catholic church in Florida, where her family lives.  We had not met her family before.  At the reception at her sister’s home her father told me that he & his wife loved our Blake the first moment they met him.  Sometimes I don’t know what I’m going to say until it comes out of my mouth.  What came out was, “Really?  What do you think of him now?”

                                                   
I was Christmas shopping one year & found the perfect T-shirt for Blake.  It had a picture of a TV remote control on the front & said, “It’s a man thing!”  I told the saleswoman I’d like one in an extra-large.   She didn’t have any under the counter so she called across the busy store to a stock boy, “I need a ‘man thing’ in an extra-large!”  The woman behind me in line said, “Don’t we all?”  Cracked up the whole store!

He & his brother once bought me a VERY LARGE toy stuffed reindeer for Christmas.  They bought it in San Francisco & brought it down on the plane with them.  It was too large to be wrapped & they didn’t want to send it through baggage.  It wouldn’t fit in the overhead & they didn’t want to have it in their laps, so they did the only reasonable (?) thing.  They bought him a ticket.  “Rodney” was strapped into a seat & a passenger asked the flight attendant if she would move him so he could sit there.  She laughed & told him, “I’m sorry, sir, but the reindeer has a ticket.”  They showed me their copy.  On it was “Passenger’s name: Reindeer, Rodney”.

                                           
My family has always expressed emotion physically.  We practically kissed each other goodbye when we went to the bathroom.  I had to teach my husband to become a “hugger” when we got married.  (He already knew how to kiss.)  I guess I created a monster.  When Blake was about 2, I was standing at the sink preparing dinner.  (Yes, I used to make dinner!)  He pointed to my leg & asked, “Dat yours?”  I told him yes.  He pointed to my arm & said, “Dat yours?”  Yes, again.  He then pointed to my breast & asked, “Dat Daddy’s?”
(Sorry, no picture here!!)

Blake was 52 last year.  I am 36.  The best way to explain this anomaly is to tell you about something that I read in one of Kirk Douglas’ books.  A “senior” movie actress was being interviewed.  The reporter said, “Forgive me, Madame, but I have to ask.  Your son (who was also a star) admits to being 56.  You claim to be 63.  How can this be?”  Her answer (& mine): “He has his life—I have mine!”














----The “forever young” fishducky 


 

16 comments:

  1. Some men NEVER put away childish things. And some women don't either.
    Which strikes me as right and proper. I am never going to grow up, and will have lots of people to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...cracked up the whole store."

    And me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Man Thing....so hilarious and true!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me a "extra Large Man thing". Not the post I expected.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is your mind (like mine) in the gutter?

      Delete
  5. I'd better go check out Mrs. Chatterbox's pin cushion.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you should look into having your own fishducky wedding chapel...or wedding temple...you'd be a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gotta love that lady behind you on the man thing. That was a fishducky quality remark.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a Rodney reindeer years ago, though not the large one. So I did the next best thing... made my own.

    I even made them for my nephews two years ago for Christmas. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They bought me four different sizes--he's the biggest!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.