Follow

Tuesday, March 15, 2016

WE USED TO BE ON THE CUTTING EDGE UNTIL OLD AGE CUT US OUT


(We actually have this sign)



We’re not as up to date today as many of you (& your kids) are.  We do have 2” thick TV’s & computers, both of which our son sometimes has to help us with.  We have cell phones; but they’re not smart phones.  Things were different years ago when we had lots of new-fangled stuff!!

Do you remember those hand held calculators that you used before you could do math on your phones?  We had one in the early 60’s.  It cost a couple of hundred dollars then, as I remember.  It was a gift from a friend.

About the same time my husband had a client who was forming a company called “Meal a Minute” which sold meals & microwaves to cook them with to airlines.  He gave us a microwave oven before most people knew what they were.

We also got a Cuisinart when they first came out.  A friend had one & raved about it so Bud decided I should have one, too.  I told him I didn’t want it because I would feel obligated to cook fancy meals all the time.  He assured me that I wouldn’t.  He bought me one—& I didn’t!!

I think it was also in the early 60’s that we got an Admiral (as I remember) console color TV which had a Betamax recorder.  Admiral had only two of them made; they were for promotional purposes.  One was for the East Coast & we got the West Coast one through a client.  It was a hefty piece of furniture; maybe 8’ long & 2’ deep, table height & made of a beautiful wood.  It took up most of the wall across from our sofa.

Side note on the console: When we bought a new TV & video recorder we gave the console to my parents.  They lived in an apartment complex on the second floor.  The movers asked me if I wanted to buy insurance for moving the console & I said I didn’t.  Anyway, they had it almost all the way up my folks’ stairs when they lost their grip & it slid all the way to the bottom.  The very nice man apologized, smiled at me & said that it was a good thing that I had bought insurance. He allowed me to buy it then & so we were reimbursed for it.

Not all our TV’s were that big.  I believe it was in the early 70’s that the friend who had given us the calculator gave us a hand held TV with a 1” screen.  If I remember correctly, there was a magnifying screen that you could use with it if you wanted.

Bud had a ’69 Buick that talked.  I remember driving somewhere & trying to have a conversation.  Every few minutes it informed us, “Your window washer fluid is low.”  I finally replied, “Shut up, Harry!!”  I don’t think they made talking cars for much longer.
























What will today's younger generation tell their children they had to do "without"?----fishducky

 


14 comments:

  1. Love it iTit. Definitely a money spinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would probably fly off the shelves!!

      Delete
  2. I remember when cordless phones and push button phones came around. Coolest thing ever.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're apparently older than I thought!!

      Delete
    2. I'll soon be 47 and not ashamed to admit it.

      Delete
  3. The cartoon "Early experiments in transportation" really made me laugh. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite was the club-proof vest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So that's the one that appealed to you?

      Delete
  5. I use to try to keep up but I fear now days, my edge matches Earl's. My phone only makes calls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have the same kind of phone as me--& Bud!!

      Delete
  6. I'm buying Jilda one of those iTits:)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.