Follow

Monday, April 4, 2016

THE DAY I JOINED THE CIRCUS




(I'm taking this week off from writing new posts.  This week's posts are all from 2012, but they all have new cartoons!!)

Several years ago, my husband & I took two of his young women employees (friends of mine) to southern Florida for a vacation—one of the many perks of working in his office.  We had a marvelous time.
 
One of the girls was a camera enthusiast so we rented a helicopter & the pilot took us up for many great pictures.  It was an odd—but fun-- feeling  when he “parked” in midair & tilted the chopper so she could get a better shot.

At the Cape Canaveral space center we toured the grounds & saw a spaceship lift off in an Imax theater (new at the time).  VERY INTERESTING & EXCITING!!

We saw a great waterskiing show at Cypress Gardens.  It was amazing to see what people could do on water skis, including building a human pyramid.

Another day we did something else I’d always wanted to do—go to the Ringling Brothers’ circus winter quarters in Sarasota.  I got my face painted like a clown.  I, of course, was the only one in my group to do that.  I think my husband would have been disappointed if I didn’t.  I figure, why not have all the fun you can while you can?  We saw the trapeze artists & many other performers do their acts.  It was like being at the circus without the huge crowds.

After our “semi-private” circus we went back to the hotel.  Those of you who are familiar with summer weather in Florida will understand when I say it was HOT & HUMID!  To put it delicately, I was sweating like a pig.  (An odd expression—I don’t think pigs sweat.)  I changed into my bathing suit as quickly as possible & headed for the comfort of the swimming pool.  I was greeted by hesitant smiles from adults & questioning--& somewhat fearful-- looks from the children there.  Several people looked at me & then left the area.  Since my brain was melting, it took me several minutes before I realized I was still wearing my clown makeup.  My husband & friends thought it would be funny if they didn’t mention that to me--& they were right!!  I probably would have left it on, anyway.  It worked out pretty well--we ended up with a semi-private pool!!












If the whole world’s a stage, where does the audience sit?----fishducky

 



20 comments:

  1. I've never had my face painted, but back in the days when I wore makeup, the effect was similar.
    If the whole world is a stage, the audience is the horde in the spaceship from other worlds. They laugh a lot, because we're a comedy act.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the ETs come in their UFOs, do you suppose they have valet parking?

      Delete
  2. Love the image of you ensuring a mostly private pool.
    Clowns always strike me as sad though. I don't think I have ever seen one I thought was funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome--nice to see you again!!

      Delete
  4. I bet they are still talking about it today too.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful story, Fran, and so funny. Some people are really freaked out by clowns.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The clown footprint was the best!

    Clowns do creep me out just a bit, especially around a public swimming pool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went to school in Sarasota and the high school put on a really great circus show each year. It was cool going to school with kids whose parents walked tight rope, were trapeze artists or were shot out of cannons. I was a clown.
    Laughed at the image of a lady clown in a bathing suit. No wonder you gave the kids a fright.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I didn't have the big feet!!

      Delete
  8. When i was a kid I read a book called Toby Tyler, the tale of a little boy who ran away to join the circus. I wanted a pet elephant really bad back then. Now, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a sweet day, Fran. :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.