Follow

Thursday, April 28, 2016

THE INS & OUTS OF “UP” & “DOWN”







(April was National Poetry Month, which I find to be irrational--that rhymes with National--because there are no rhymes for April, Poetry or Month!!)

Did you realize how many definitions the words "up" & “down” have?  I looked it up in the dictionary & found quite a few & added some (in red):

UP

adverb:

Toward the sky or a higher position.
"He jumped up"

To the place where someone is.
"Dot didn't hear Mrs. Parvis come creeping up behind her"

preposition:

From a lower to a higher point on (something); upward along.
"She climbed up a flight of steps"

adjective:

Directed or moving toward a higher place or position.
"The up escalator"

In a cheerful mood; ebullient.
"The mood here is resolutely up"

noun:

A period of good fortune.
"You can't have ups all the time in life"

verb:

To do something abruptly or boldly.
"She upped and left him"

Cause (a level or amount) to be increased.
"Capacity will be upped by 70 percent next year"

Instructions received while getting ready for a gynecologist's exam.
"Bring up the rear"

What I used to tell my family when they complained about my cooking.
"Eat it up!!"

A name proposed for the merger of FedEx & UPS.
"Fed up"

Don't forget the ever-popular “Up yours!!


DOWN

Toward or in a lower place or position, especially to or on the ground or another surface.
"She looked down"

To or at a lower level of intensity, volume, or activity.
"Keep the noise down"

preposition:

From a higher to a lower point of (something).
"Down the stairs"

Throughout (a period of time).
"Astrologers down the ages"


adjective:

 Directed or moving toward a lower place or position.
"The down escalator"

Unhappy; depressed.
"He’s been so down lately"
     
verb
informal:

Knock or bring to the ground.
"175 enemy aircraft had been downed"

Consume (something, typically a drink).
"He downed a six-pack" or "Down the hatch!!"


noun:

A chance for a team to advance the ball, ending when the ball carrier is tackled or the ball becomes out of play. A team must advance at least ten yards in a series of four downs in order to keep possession.

The feathers of certain ducks & geese.

informal:

Unwelcome experiences or events.
"There had been more downs than ups during his years at the company"

An interesting way to have sex.
"Tied down"

Getting ready to give someone a present.
"Wrapping it up"

An uncomfortable gastronomical situation.
“He was unable to keep his large Thanksgiving dinner down”

Where I feel this post is going.
"Down the drain"

(I, of course, would never mention “Going down on someone”  That would be crude!!)
 Here are lots & lots of cartoons:
















Back me up here.  This may not have been one of my best posts, but chalk it up to senility; after all, I am well up in years.  My get up & go has got up & went!!----fishducky



  



12 comments:

  1. Oh my Gosh! Sit down to pee had me choking on my dinner. (Soy-ginger tuna with rice)
    Love "Tractor Down"
    If I know you, and I think I do, your get up and go hasn't gone very far:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now "shut UP" makes no since.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. If snobs are uppity, why aren't others downity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm fed up. I had a delicious chicken salad sandwich for lunch. Lettuce and tomato. Wheat bread.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. "You remind me of someone I once plucked from the rubble."

    I must remember this if I ever try to pick up someone.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.