Follow

Friday, April 15, 2016

YOU'D BETTER NOT POUT, YOU'D BETTER SHELL OUT, YOU'D BETTER NOT CRY, I'M TELLING YOU WHY--THE IRS IS COMING TO TOWN





I've posted this the last several years on this date because it just seemed like the right thing to do.  The cartoons, however, are all new.

Thomas Paine once said something like "Give me ambiguity or give me something else".  Do you think he was referring to the tax code?


I had written a post for today but my accountant screwed up & I had to send it in to the IRS.  This one was written by Dave Barry several years ago & it's still pretty funny:

"IT'S TAX TIME. I know this because I'm staring at documents that make no sense to me, no matter how many beers I drink.

Take, for example, my Keogh Plan. If you're wondering what a Keogh Plan is, the technical answer is: Beats me. All I know is, I have one, and the people who administer it are always sending me Important Tax Information. Here's the first sentence of their most recent letter, which I swear I am not making up:
"Dear David: The IRS has extended the deadline for the restatement of your plan to comply with GUST and various other amendments until, in most instances, September 30, 2003."

I understand everything in that sentence, up to "David." After that I am lost. Apparently I have until September 30 (in most instances) to get my plan -- no, sorry, the restatement of my plan -- to comply with something (but what?) called "GUST." And of course various other amendments. But how do I do this? And what if I don't?
The letter doesn't make this clear. It does, however, say this: "You must adopt EGTRRA prior to the end of the plan year beginning in 2002." I am, frankly, reluctant to adopt anything called "EGTRRA," which sounds like the name of a giant radioactive chicken that destroys Tokyo.
The thing is, this letter isn't from the Internal Revenue Service ("We're Working to Put You in Jail!"). It's from people on my side, people who sincerely want to tell me something, probably important, about GUST and EGTRRA. But I won't even try to finish their letter.
I'll put it, with all the other tax documents that I do not understand, in a folder marked "Taxes ," and I'll mail it to a guy I know named Evan. A few weeks later he'll mail me back a tax return that I will sign and send along to the IRS without reading any part of it, except where it says "SIGN HERE."

That's right: I have no idea what my tax return says, even though I'm legally responsible for it. I just have to hope that, when Evan prepares it, he's not in a prankish mood. IRS auditor: Mr. Barry, can you explain why, on Page 27 of your return, stapled to Form 4992, "Depreciation and Amortization," is the thymus gland of an otter? Me: That's not mine! IRS auditor: Also, on Page 23, you claim, as dependents, and I quote: "The Entire Cast of Buffy the Vampire Slayer."

I'm not the only taxpayer who has no idea what he's sending to the IRS. This year, only 28 percent of all Americans will prepare their own tax returns, according to a voice in my head that invents accurate-sounding statistics.  Why can't Americans do their own taxes? Because the federal tax code is out of control, that's why. It's gigantic and insanely complex, and it gets worse all the time. Nobody has ever read the whole thing. IRS workers are afraid to go into the same room with it. They keep it locked in the basement, and, once a day, they open the door, heave in a live taxpayer -- some poor slob who failed to adopt EGTRRA in time to comply with GUST (and various other amendments) then slam the door shut, before the screams start."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


You should never lie to the IRS.  That's why my occupation is listed as "Domestic Goddess".  (True!)


Some people say that everybody should pay their taxes with a smile. I tried it but they wanted cash.

A man wrote a letter to the IRS: “I have been unable to sleep knowing that I have cheated on my income tax. I understated my taxable income and have enclosed a check for $200.00. If I still can’t sleep, I will send the rest.”

"You know, we all hate paying taxes, but the truth of the matter is without our tax money, many politicians would not be able to afford prostitutes."
-Jimmy Kimmel

"Taxation with representation ain't so hot either."
-- Gerald Barzan


"It's income tax time again, Americans: time to gather up those receipts, get out those tax forms, sharpen up that pencil, and stab yourself in the aorta."
-- Dave Barry


"Our party has been accused of fooling the public by calling tax increases 'revenue enhancement'. Not so. No one was fooled."
-- J. Danforth Quayle, V.P.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A man, called to testify at the IRS, asked his accountant for advice on what to wear. "Wear your shabbiest clothing. Let him think you are a pauper."

Then he asked his lawyer the same question, but got the opposite advice. "Do not let them intimidate you. Wear your most elegant suit and tie."

Confused, the man went to his rabbi, told him of the conflicting advice, and requested some resolution of the dilemma. "Let me tell you a story," replied the rabbi. "A woman, about to be married, asked her mother what to wear on her wedding night. 'Wear a heavy, long, flannel nightgown that goes right up to your neck.' But when she asked her best friend, she got conflicting advice. 'Wear your most sexy negligee, with a V neck right down to your navel.’”

The man protested, "What does all this have to do with my problem with the IRS?"

The rabbi said, "No matter what you wear, you're going to get screwed!!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear IRS, 

Enclosed is my Tax Return & payment. Please take note of the attached article from the USA Today newspaper. In the article, you will see that the Pentagon is paying $171.50 for hammers and NASA has paid $600.00 for a toilet seat. 

Please find enclosed four toilet seats (value $2,400) and six hammers (value $1,029). This brings my total payment to $3,429.00. Please note the overpayment of $22.00 and apply it to the "Presidential Election Fund," as noted on my return. 

Might I suggest that you send the above mentioned fund a "1.5 inch screw." (See attached article...HUD paid $22.00 for a 1.5 inch Phillips Head Screw.) 

It has been a pleasure to pay my tax bill this year, and I look forward to paying it again next year. I just saw an article about the Pentagon and "screwdrivers."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From my cousin Sid:

At the end of the tax year, the Revenue Canada office sent an inspector to audit the books of a local hospital.

While the Revenue Canada agent was checking the books he turned to the CFO of the hospital and said, 

"I notice you buy a lot of bandages. What do you do with the end of the roll when there's too little left to be of any use?"

"Good question," noted the CFO. "We save them up and send them back to the bandage company and every once in a while, they send us a free roll."

"Oh," replied the auditor, somewhat disappointed that his unusual question had a practical answer.  But on he went, in his obnoxious way. 

 "What about all these plaster purchases?  What do you do with what's left over after setting a cast on a patient?"

"Ah, yes," replied the CFO, realizing that the inspector was trying to trap him with an unanswerable question.

"We save it and send it back to the manufacturer and every so often they will send us a free bag of plaster."

"I see," replied the auditor, thinking hard about how he could fluster the know-it-all CFO.

"Well," he went on, "What do you do with all the remains from circumcision surgeries?"

“Here, too, we do not waste," answered the CFO. “What we do is save all the little foreskins and send them to the Revenue Canada office, and about once a year they send us a complete prick."

You need lots of cartoons today:



























The wages of sin are death, but by the time taxes are taken out, it's just sort of a tired feeling----fishducky

 



22 comments:

  1. Too many of those cartoons are illustrations of a very true, and scary documentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laughing at it keeps us from crying!!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. See my comment to Elephant's Child!!

      Delete
  3. Funny, and waaaaay too close to the mark. We could get upset about it all, but that would be too darned taxing. Better to just laugh about it. They haven't figured out a way to tax that yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They MIGHT have--have you read the new tax code?

      Delete
  4. Funny, but so sad. Yes, if we don't laugh we'd cry. True. True.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny stuff. I've only been contacted by the IRS once, when they wrote to tell me they owed me eight hundred dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking about where Id want my ashes scattered if they cremated me. I have an Idea now. Thanks
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have someone do my taxes the last 10 years. I consider it a true luxury because I could do them myself, I just hate it.

    When we get the results Mrs. C asks "Are you sure they are correct." I pay lots of money to have them done, I'll be dammed if I am going to double check the guy...especially if I like the results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the reasons for our long marriage is that my husband does our taxes!!

      Delete
  8. Love Dave Barry. I have fortunately reached the perfect state. I am so old and poor, the govt doesn't even want to hear from me. Ahhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except for the "poor" part, that sounds OK!!

      Delete
  9. Very scary. I wonder what Bernie Sanders would do if he were elected?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worst case scenario--what would Trump do?

      Delete
  10. Now that I'm single, I have to pay more taxes!!! It makes no sense to me, shouldn't two people pay more than one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHY did you expect it to make sense?

      Delete
  11. When I was single, I was always excited when I got an income tax return...until my husband made sure our deductions were almost exactly right and we break even.

    Adulthood ruins all the fun delusions.

    Cherdo
    Cherdo on the Flipside
    "Favorite Characters, Favorite Lines" on the A-to-Z Challenge 2016

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean they're not giving away FREE money?

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.