Follow

Friday, May 27, 2016

A LITTLE SONG, A LITTLE DANCE, A LITTLE SELTZER DOWN YOUR PANTS*


* From the Mary Tyler Moore episode, "Chuckles' Funeral".

I don't come from a musical family.  I had a very limited musical education.  I can't carry a tune. We used to beg my mother not to sing. My brother wrote this song when Cinderella was released: "Cinderelly, Cinderelly, Comb your hair and wash your belly!!"


Trying to further my children's love of music, we gave Nameless piano lessons as a child.  To help her learn to read music, we wrote a song together, which she transcribed.  Here it is, in its entirety.  Sing it to any melody you want.  “If I were an elephant & you were a canary; if I stepped on you, you wouldn’t like it!!”

I only listen to the finest music.
This should not come as a surprise,
since this is one of the songs I heard as a child:

This was popular when I was a teenager:

Nameless learned this in elementary school:


Our kids learned these as scouts:

This is sung to the tune of
"I’m Looking Over a Four Leaf Clover":


This was one of Bud's favorites:

This is one of my all time favorite dance numbers:

A husband takes his wife to a disco. There’s a guy on the dance floor break dancing, moonwalking, back flips, the works. The wife turns to her husband and says, "See that guy? Twenty five years ago he proposed to me and I turned him down." 

Husband says, "Looks like he’s still celebrating!"

------------------------------
My Dad bought my Mom a piano for her birthday. A few weeks later, I asked how she was doing with it. 

"Oh," said My Dad, "I persuaded her to switch to a clarinet." 

"How come?" I asked. 

"Well," he answered, "because with a clarinet, she can't sing."

















I like opera, but they get pissed when you sing along----fishducky








18 comments:

  1. Purple People Eater is one of my favourite songs. When we were younger, we used to sing under-clothed purple people eater, instead of under-growed. Because of the short shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you have very sophisticated musical tastes!!

      Delete
  2. Some very familiar songs eat - which considering my lack of musical knowledge surprises me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can recognize ANY song--as in, "Yep--that's a song!!"

      Delete
  3. Purple People Eaters was on the radio all the time in Minneapolis because of the Vikings--who were affectionately called The Purple People Eaters back then. I don't know much about football but I think it may have been the defensive line at the time that was called that. Anyways, I knew all the songs--except for the guy who ran over his dog with the mower. I wonder what songs they will be teaching Ian?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that song until my 10 year old niece taught it to me--she learned it in Girl Scouts!!

      Delete
    2. That's a really sick song.
      Kids love really sick songs. ;)

      Delete
  4. I had the Purple People eater 45 record. I'm still trying to figure out how to carry a tune in a bucket and I can make funny noises with my armpits.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your armpits are more talented than mine!!

      Delete
  5. I knew all of the songs you mentioned. Except, of course, for the one about the elephant and the canary. :)

    Yet another fun post. Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately that one never made the Hit Parade!!

      Delete
  6. If I cold sing, my guitar playing would improve immensely. I remember all those songs, except the Does eat oats thing, though my mom did mention it often.

    Chuckles the Clown was the funniest MTM episode of all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because your singing would drown out the guitar?

      Delete
  7. Gee thanks, I now have enough ear worms for a week. Lost it at the granny working the cane. Loved the elephant and the canary. It could become a smash hit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knew all the songs except the horse in striped pajamas. My mom used to sing another one that I thought was the stupidest thing I ever heard: "Open the Door, Richard."

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXgOb6ek_Fw

    I was also partial to a song I didn't see here: "On Top of Spaghetti." A different version, without the video, of course.

    http://bussongs.com/songs/on-top-of-spaghetti.php

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.