Follow

Friday, May 13, 2016

A SPOONFUL OF SUGAR HELPS THE MEDICINE GO DOWN (UNLESS YOU'VE GOT DIABETES)


I never used to take any daily medicine when I was younger.  Then, in the early 90's (the decade, not my age) I got diabetes.  The endocrinologist I used to go to had me on a dozen or so pills a day plus insulin injections.  I once asked him why I had to take so much medicine.  His answer: Because you've got diabetes.  Duh!!

When Phil, my late father-in-law, was about 90, his regular physician either retired or died (which I'd guess you'd call a final retirement) so we took him to our doctor for a checkup.  He took Phil off of about half of his meds.  Among other things, he was regularly taking both a diuretic & pills to keep him from peeing so much.

Did you know that my son Blake is a drug dealer?  He's actually a pharmaceutical representative (one of those you see at doctor's offices) but it gets more people's attention when I introduce him as a drug dealer.
I think that anyone who asks his doctor if a new medicine is right for him, as the ads suggest they do, must be very brave if he has paid attention to the disclaimers.  They show you sunny skies & happy people & then say something like "In rare cases, your head may fall off" or  "In some cases, people have been known to grow a third eye" or something equally as bad.

For some odd reason I was suddenly reminded of an old joke:

A man was born with a silver screw in his navel but it never bothered him so he had never had it removed.  Later in life he was seeing a new physician & during the exam the doctor asked him about the silver screw.  He told him he didn't know why it was there but he had had it all his life & it had never caused a problem.  The doctor insisted he be allowed to remove it & he finally consented.  The doctor found a screwdriver, sterilized it & removed the screw--& the guy's ass fell off!!

I recently found this on BuzzFeed.  Most images are by Thinkstock.
Click on the blue type for more information.

10 INNOVATIONS IN HEALTH THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND

Amazing innovations; they’re changing health care, and they’re happening now.

1. VR is being used to help treat depression.

2. Exoskeletons allow paraplegics to walk upright.

Exoskeletons allow paraplegics to walk upright.
Berkeley-based startup SuitX has been working to create an exoskeleton suit that allows paraplegics to walk again. Instead of using a wheelchair, The Phoenix is an affordable and lightweight suit that gives people the opportunity to walk again or for the first time.

3. Nanobots are being developed that enter blood vessels to repair damage and distribute drugs.

Nanobots are being developed that enter blood vessels to repair damage and distribute drugs.
A group at Pennsylvania State University has been developing nanobots that they call microspiders. Using spheres less than a micrometer wide, these micromachines swim through a person’s blood vessels. As they travel, they’re able to heal damaged areas and deliver drugs in the process.

4. A sprayable foam can significantly aid in sealing trauma wounds.

A sprayable foam can significantly aid in sealing trauma wounds.
A research team at the University of Maryland has been researching and testing a sprayable foam for trauma wounds. The foam is sprayed onto a wound where it doubles in size, becomes solid, and creates a wall that prevents significant blood loss.

5. Special glasses enable people with color vision deficiencies to see color.

Special glasses enable people with color vision deficiencies to see color.
Many people worldwide have a color vision deficiency. Through rigorous research, companies have been able to create a series of filters that helps to correct these deficiencies, allowing people to see colors they had never seen before.

6. People are utilizing 3D printing to revolutionize health care and save lives.

People are utilizing 3D printing to revolutionize health care and save lives.
3D-printing technology has made it possible for doctors to print a titanium rib cage, create vertebrae, successfully separate conjoined twins, print whole organs, and so much more.

7. A high-res microscope was developed to better study cancer cells’ behavior.

A high-res microscope was developed to better study cancer cells' behavior.
A group at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center has developed a high-resolution microscope that makes it possible to view cancer cells in 3D, previously limited to just two-dimensional view. This innovation allows doctors to better visualize the cells and how they behave.

8. A smaller, more durable pacemaker helps people live longer.

A smaller, more durable pacemaker helps people live longer.
The first version of pacemakers was large and consisted of wires (leads) that would break over time, leading to additional procedures. Recognizing this problem, asmaller wireless pacemaker was created that’s also more durable.

9. A sensor in a sweatband is being used to help with dehydration and muscle fatigue.

A sensor in a sweatband is being used to help with dehydration and muscle fatigue.
A group from UC Berkeley has created a wearable sensor that takes measurements of your body’s sweat. It measures the amount of metabolites and electrolytes and then sends the diagnostics to your smartphone.

10. A unique glove helps Parkinson’s patients steady their hands.

                        A unique glove helps Parkinson's patients steady their hands.

London-based company GyroGear is currently developing a glove (aptly named the GyroGlove) to help ease tremors in Parkinson’s patients using gyroscopes. The initial tendency of gyroscopes is to continuously work to stay upright. By applying this physics, it helps to stabilize the shaking of the hand.

Some more jokes (from rd.com):


My mother was rushed to the hospital following a serious tumble. There the staff placed a band around her wrist with large letters warning: Fall Risk.
Unimpressed, Mom said to me, “I’ll have them know I’m a winter, spring, and summer risk too.”
--------------------
After a checkup, a doctor asked his patient, “Is there anything you’d like to discuss?”
“Well,” said the patient, “I was thinking about getting a vasectomy.”
“That’s a big decision. Have you talked it over with your family?”
“Yes, we took a vote … and they’re in favor of it 15 to 2.”
--------------------
Mark Twain warned: “Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.”
The same can be said for these English-challenged notes doctors wrote on patient charts:
“The patient is married but sexually active.”
“When standing with eyes closed, he missed his right finger to his nose and has to search for it on the left side.”
“She does indeed have a fear of frying and mental problems that she attributes to deep-fat fryers.” 
“The patient is a 53-year-old police officer who was found unconscious by his bicycle.”
“Her father died from a heart attack at age 12.”


                                      











I'm thankful I didn't need surgery:
















 


23 comments:

  1. Some of those medical advances are incredible. I do hope they can be made available to EVERYONE who needs them. Not just the rich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually, they probably will--unfortunately, that will take a long time!!

      Delete
  2. Hold my breath for twenty minutes??
    I really like the exoskeleton idea, what a great invention.
    My mum was a firm believer in a spoonful of sugar and not just for medicines; almost everything we ate was sweetened or had dessert after it. My dad even added sugar when he was making white sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you're not diabetic!!

      Delete
    2. Surprisingly, no. But I have recently decided to cut back on sugar. Just in case. I wouldn't want to suddenly become diabetic and have to give up all the yummy stuff I like, so eating less of them now, has to be the smart move, right? Right.

      Delete
  3. Haha...funny post! I take three teaspoons of sugar for my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Add some lemon & you'd have hot lemonade!!

      Delete
  4. I'd never heard the silver screw joke. It struck my funny bone this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those medical innovations are phenomenal. What an amazing world we live in. The idea of people having to use virtual reality to cure their depression is oddly depressing to me. Then again, considering some of the things going on in the world, I suppose it's surprising more of us don't need to escape into a fantasy world to keep on smiling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking for my belly screw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as you can still find your ass, I wouldn't worry!!

      Delete
  7. I'm so down on doctors right now that this was just perfect for me. I have so lowered my expectations of them. Now I can laugh at them too. Thanks this lifted my spirits and now I'm ready to go out and cut back some more pesky weeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You & I both go to TOO many doctors!!

      Delete
    2. I haven't seen my doctor, yes, only one, in two and a half years and that last time was just for a repeat prescription on my asthma inhaler.

      Delete
  8. Ooh, I want some nanobots. This post hit home for I was just given a Rx for the vilest tasting pill I have ever had. If you hold it in your fingers for 5 seconds, you get the taste in your mouth and heaven help you if you swallow it with just water. I mean nasty. Peanut butter instead of sugar has saved the day for me.
    Loved the giant pill that contained treatment for all the side effects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried peanut butter for pills except with my dog!!

      Delete
  9. IF you undo your belly button, your butt will fall off. I've haven't tried it yet.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ignore the side effects list that comes with medications. I prefer to take my chances and see what happens.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The side effects have never bothered me--except for that one time my head fell off!!

      Delete
  11. your blog is always a pleasure! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.