Follow

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

BUGS & SLUGS & ESCARGOT



I'm sure you already knew it, but today, May 24, is National Escargot Day!!  Below you'll find some facts, jokes & cartoons that should make you the life of the party tonight.

Escargot facts:

Escargot is an edible snail, especially one prepared as an appetizer or entree.

It is believed that snails for eating were brought to the United States (California) in the 1850’s.

The French consume 40,000 metric tons of snails each year.

Heliculture is the science of growing snails for food.

Snails have been eaten as food since at least ancient Roman times. Apicius, the author of the oldest surviving cookbook (1st century B.C-2 century A.D.) has a recipe for snails in his cookbook

Snails are almost blind, and they don’t have any aural systems meaning that they can’t hear anything.

American restaurants serve about 1 billion snails annually.

Like most mollusks, escargot is high in protein and low in fat content (if cooked without butter). It is estimated that escargot is 15% protein, 2.4% fat and about 80% water.

Even the lazy sloth and the lumbering tortoise have nothing on the snail’s complete lack of speed. Some snails clock in at 0.0004 miles an hour.
mobile-cuisine.com

Jokes:


A snail walks into a bank to make a deposit. Then a turtle comes in and robs the bank.
Afterward, the police are interviewing the snail and asks him to recount what had happened. The snail says, "I don't know, it all happened so fast!" 

 What is the definition of a slug?
A snail with a housing problem.

Why did the snail cross the road?
I don't know - but I'll let you know when it gets here.

 A snail goes to a used car lot to buy a car. The sales person asks, "What are you looking for in a car?"
The snail says, "I want a really fast car with big side doors so I can write a huge "S" on each door."
The salesman says, "That's a weird request, why?"  The snail says, "Because when I drive through town I want people to say, "Look at that S-Car-Go!"

A snail, a slug and a centipede were spending a day together at the snail's house. It was decided that one of them should go out and get some drinks. 

The snail said, "I can't go, it will take me all night." The slug said, "I could go, but if it rains, I haven't got anything to protect me." 

With this, they both look at the centipede. 

The centipede said, "Okay, okay, I'll go," and he walked out the door. 

An hour passed and the centipede wasn't back yet. Another hour and still no sign of him. When another hour passed, the snail and the slug began to worry about the centipede and decided to go look for him. 

When they opened the front door, they saw the centipede. They asked, "What are you doing?" 

The centipede said, "I'm still putting my shoes on."
jokebuddha.com

A young couple was entertaining some French guests and decided to serve snails. The husband went out to get hold of some suitable snails while his wife remained at home preparing for that evening.

It was a nice day, and after he'd got the snails, the husband decided to pop into his local pub for a drink (or two or three. )  Realizing how much time had passed in the pub, he grabbed his coat and snails and ran home knowing that his wife would be wondering where he'd got to. As he charged through the garden gate he tripped and dropped the snails all over the path. 

His wife heard the commotion and went to see what was going on. On seeing her husband she asked "Where have you been?"   He looked back at the snails and gestured towards the front door: "Come on lads, nearly there!"

manandmollusc.net

And extra cartoons on this big day:


























----fishducky

 


19 comments:

  1. National Escargot Day? There is a day for everything... I suspect some days have to double up though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is also Asparagus Day, Brother's Day, International Tiara Day & Scavenger Hunt Day!!

      Delete
  2. That's one thing I've never eaten is a snail! Of course, not saying I wouldn't. Ill just put a lot of salt on it.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a heavy salt user, but not on escargot--they're in a delicious garlic sauce!!

      Delete
    2. You mean the salt want make them disappear from my plate?

      Delete
  3. Never had them either, and don't plan to. Snails and sushi...I am not adventurous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken eaters (eaters who ARE chicken) are missing out on a lot of good stuff!!

      Delete
  4. Who knew snails were so funny? I had my first Escargot on a first date. I had a broken wrist and was in a cast so he had to feed me. They were delicious though pretty sure I would eat cardboard covered in that sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's the garlic and butter that makes them taste better. I've had them, but I had to tell hubs they were mushrooms stuffed with mushrooms or he would never have tried them. He liked them okay, but wasn't pleased that I told him they were something else. . .well at least I did tell him later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you didn't do what my daughter did: We were out to lunch with our daughter, a college student, in Italy. She ordered an appetizer platter of shrimp & calamaretti (baby squid). My husband, not an adventurous eater, was picking out the shrimp to eat. After much nagging coaxing he had a calamaretto (the singular) almost to his mouth when she said, “They’re better if you knock their little eyes off, Daddy!” It took a couple of years before he deigned to try them—now he loves them.

      Delete
  6. I have never eaten an escargot but the jokes made me laugh till my stomach hurt. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--& welcome back!! I haven't heard from you in a long time.

      Delete
  7. I have heard that you can get rid of slugs by enticing them with a pan of beer. No, they don't destroy their livers. They fall in and can't get out. What a way to go!

    Much better than sprinkling them with salt and hearing the sizzle, which is what happened when Val stepped on one barefoot on the sidewalk of her $17,000 house one morning. Let the record show that VAL was barefoot...not the slug. Though it must have been as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't eat snails. Just can't catch those speedy little buggers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We don't have snails or slugs up here. Takes them too long to head south for the winter. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.