Follow

Thursday, September 8, 2016

A RIVETING (OR NOT) REPORT ON ROBERTA PUSSYCAT

This is Burt Reynolds (the first male nude centerfold):

This is an artist's rendering of Roberta Pussycat in roughly the same pose:

(Some of this is from assorted older posts.)

Friends of ours used to have a pet bobcat named Roberta Pussycat.  Let me tell you about our first meeting. I went to pick my friend Flavia up for lunch.  She wasn't quite ready so she asked me to have a seat in the living room.  Her bobcat, Roberta, came & sat at my feet.  I guess it was instinct that made her growl & raise a fully clawed paw at me.  I was a young mother & I had instincts, too.  Without a thought in my mind that she was a wild animal, I reached down & slapped her face!!  She looked at me & sat down again & we got along fine.  It was my fault--I didn't realize that I was sitting in her chair!!

Roberta had her meals at the table with them.  Her favorite foods were asparagus & shrimp.  Her table manners were fine if you don't count putting your face in your food & licking your plate. Due to her lack of opposable thumbs she was never able to master the use of silverware.

Not everyone was comfortable with Roberta.  I remember one time we were at her house for dinner.  My father-in-law Phil was also a guest.  Phil was sitting on the couch & Roberta was pacing back & forth behind him on the couch back, at shoulder level.  Phil kept mumbling, almost inaudibly, "Nice kitty.  Nice kitty."

Flavia & her husband owned a boat for a little while.  We went out on it with the three of them once.  I won't say for sure that Roberta was seasick because she never actually upchucked.  The weird look in her eyes & the tinge of green around the gills makes me think I was right, though. A seasick bobcat is a strange sight!!

My husband & I were making our first trip to Europe.  We had been with our friends Earl & Flavia who now lived in Paris & we went on to London.  We decided to invite them to come over to London & go to a stage show & dinner as a “thank you”.  We saw “Jesus Christ, Superstar”, which had just opened.  After dinner Flavia asked the maitre d' for a doggy bag for her leftovers. He said, "Oh, you have a dog?"  She told him no, that she had a cat.  "Moi, aussi," (So do I) he said, "What kind?"  She said that she actually had a bobcat.  "Moi, aussi," he said excitedly & they whipped out pictures--proud parents that they were!!

If you'd like to see a short video of a bobcat in the wild click here.


14 comments:

  1. Beautiful animal...in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She actually became quite domesticated & well mannered!!

      Delete
  2. Love the video of the bobcat. When I was a teen working in a pet shop we could still sell raccoons, green turtles, skunks, ferrets, monkeys, wild caught birds. I'm so glad things have changed, though.

    I got this post now that they caught me up with the couple dozen, I guess. But now we know it won't last. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I DO prefer wild animals to be left wild. Good luck on getting my posts again!! Let me know if you need help.

      Delete
  3. I remember spotting a bobcat in our neighborhood with a grown squirrel in its mouth. I thought it was a tiger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobcats are MUCH smaller than tigers, but they still can bite & claw!!

      Delete
  4. Bobcats are beautiful but can be a bit scary. I met a friend's pet one once and I was a lot like your father-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You reminded me of all the bobcat sighting I used to have here. So many of them, now none. Is it the drought, is it more people moving in, I don't know, but I haven't seen one for at least three years. But I have my little herd of Jack rabbits now, that grow bigger and bigger with not many predators around. Faith is trying to catch her one, but so far no success. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You & the dogs are much safer around jackrabbits than bobcats!!

      Delete
  6. There are bobcats here. My niece took a picture of one outside of where she works.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume your niece is domesticated but the bobcat wasn't!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.