Follow

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

HOW BAD CAN IT BE?







(I've run a little of this before, but most of it is new.)

I was in my car, alone, on a long road trip.  I was getting really hungry but nothing looked great so I stopped at a restaurant that looked just so-so.  I asked myself, “How bad can it be?”  I found out!!

When Sizzler Restaurants first opened, they didn’t have waiters.  You picked up your own food & brought it to your table.  I used to go there fairly often for dinner with the kids if my husband was working late.  Normally, they had no problem in getting our orders correct.  This particular night was another story.  I have 3 children & 2 of their orders were wrong.  I didn’t find out the second was wrong until I returned to the table with the first corrected order, so back I went.  I came back to discover that mine was wrong, too!  I didn’t have either the energy or the patience to make a third trip, so I asked my 8 year old son, who by then had finished his meal, to do it for me.  I waited, in my red pants-suited splendor, for him to return.  When he did, he told me the cook asked him, “Is your mother wearing red?”

Years ago at an IHOP I got into a shouting match/argument with a waitress.  Now I can't remember why, but I do remember that I didn't leave her a tip!!

On one of our early trips to Hawaii, probably around 1968, we went to dinner at Michel’s at the Colony Surf Hotel.  Our friends had told us it was wonderful.  It was quite upscale--& expensive.  It was one of the very few places in Hawaii where men were required to wear a tie.  We got there a few minutes before our reservation time & waited--& waited.  When we were finally seated, we waited to get a menu.  Then we waited to place our orders.  When the food came, the orders were wrong.  There were chiefs all around, but no Indians.  We couldn’t get anyone’s attention.  The maître d’ was making a brief stop at every table.  When he got to ours, he smiled & asked, “How is everything?”  I replied honestly, “Terrible!”  He smiled again, said, “Thank you” & went on to the next table.  Bud & I sat there with our mouths hanging open.  I googled it—it’s still in operation.  I can only assume they've replaced the maître d’, the chef & the waitstaff.

We were at a very upscale restaurant & when we checked in the receptionist asked us if we were celebrating anything.  Bud's reply:  "Only that we can afford to eat here!!"

When we had the beach condo in Port Hueneme, a small group of us used to go out to breakfast on Saturdays.  We were at a diner in Ventura & I ordered chicken (country) fried steak.  I asked that there be no gravy on the plate, just in a small bowl on the side.  (I don't like too much gravy on it.)  When it arrived, it was absolutely smothered in gravy.  I sent it back & when I got it again, the cook had apparently washed off the gravy!!  I didn't eat it but I was afraid to send it back again.

My friend, Barbara, can’t handle food that’s too spicy.  We went out for breakfast to a place where we had eaten before.  Barbara wanted sausage--they offered both link & patty--& she remembered that one was spicier than the other, but she couldn’t remember which.  She asked the waitress the difference between the two sausages.  She was told that the link was long, like a cigar, & the patty was sort of like a hamburger.  Scary—this woman is allowed to drive, vote & reproduce!!  Even scarier—she probably went home & told her family that she’d had some customers who were so stupid that they didn’t know the difference between link & patty sausage.

I had been on a diet for a long time & decided it was time to give myself a treat.  I loved H. Salt fish & chips so I loaded the kids in the car & drove to the local franchise.  The kids got their orders & I was told it would be a few minutes wait for mine.  After ten to fifteen minutes I was called to the counter to pick up my order; two pieces of fish & some french fries.  One of the pieces was stone cold & the other was hot.  I went back to the counter & told the girl what was wrong.  She said she couldn't exchange it because I had taken a bite.  I asked her how I could have known it was cold without taking a bite since I don't normally stick my finger in my food to test for temperature. We argued & I asked to speak to the manager.  I was told he was out & would be back in about twenty minutes.  I waited.  By then, I was too angry to want any fish so I asked him for a refund.  He told the clerk to give me one.  She threw the money at me & asked if I was happy now.  I told her no; that I also wanted the tax.  She threw that at me, too!!  I wrote their parent corporation (Kentucky Fried Chicken) & complained.  They apologized & gave me coupons for lots of KFC.












My suggestion for getting good service at a restaurant; ask for a table by the waiter----fishducky

 



   




19 comments:

  1. Sigh.
    I won't let himself read this. These are some of the reasons he gives for not going out to dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Grandma says it's important to use the proper fork when you eat in a restaurant. What's a fork?"
    I really laughed hard at that one, almost choked on my scrambled eggs. I wonder though, how many children don't know what a fork is?
    I just shook my head at all the ones waiting for the waiter to order their food. I would have given up and left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I assume you were using a fork to eat your scrambled eggs!!

      Delete
  3. I think I would have thrown a hissy-fit at the fish place.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I showed great self-restraint!!

      Delete
  4. How that girl could throw money at you and smart mouth you right in front of her manager just baffles me. I hope they both got fired! As well as the people providing your other meal tortures. I was a waitress in my younger days and I am appalled by the horror stories I've heard over the years. I've had lazy, indifferent, and on the verge of arrogance with waitresses and clerks--and that is appallingly rude up here in the Midwest. Or at least it used to be. Sadly, now days, the incompetence and rudeness and inefficiency is everywhere. When you get good old-fashioned wonderful courteous service it is a delightful surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I remember, her manager had gone into the back of the restaurant when she did that!!

      Delete
  5. That waitress was in the wrong profession. She needed a job in assembly line with no human contact. At least you got free food from KFC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It's like a spoon with 3 or 4 pointy things on the end!!

      Delete
    2. 3 prongs is a trident, 4 prongs is a fork

      Delete
  7. It's funny to read this because as you know, I've had been having really bad luck with restaurants lately too, fish ducky!
    Sincerely,
    Sir

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a post is timed just right!!

      Delete
  8. I used to know a server who had previously worked at Olive Garden. She told me that workers regularly dropped food on the floor, stepped on it, and put it on the plate. I'm not sure why they were so angry, but I've never eaten at Olive Garden again. I'm happy with the neighborhood diner. We also have a new place on our neighborhood's main drag that has great salads. It's been a long time since I got angry in a restaurant.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that's in corporate's list of acceptable behaviors!!

      Delete
  9. I'm glad you didn't eat your chicken fried steak. You don't know WHAT the cook used to wash the gravy off with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought of that but even soap & water wouldn't have been acceptable!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.