Follow

Wednesday, September 7, 2016

I FIND IT IRONIC THAT I HAVE SPENT MY ADULT LIFE TRYING TO APPEAR SUAVE & SOPHISTICATED & NOW I'M WRITING THESE POSTS



Full Definition of irony

pluralironies

  1. 1:  a pretense of ignorance and of willingness to learn from another assumed in order to make the other's false conceptions conspicuous by adroit questioning —called also Socratic irony
  2. 2a :  the use of words to express something other than and especially the opposite of the literal meaningb :  a usually humorous or sardonic literary style or form characterized by ironyc :  an ironic expression or utterance
  3. 3a (1) :  incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result (2) :  an event or result marked by such incongruityb :  incongruity between a situation developed in a drama and the accompanying words or actions that is understood by the audience but not by the characters in the play —called also dramatic irony, tragic irony
4    antonym :  wrinkly

My thanks to BuzzFeed for many of the following examples:




 




















And my all time favorite:














ME: “I talk to myself.”
ME: “Me, too!!”----fishducky


 




17 comments:

  1. Some gems here. What are teeth for, if they aren't for biting?
    I gave up on the suave and sophisticated front a long time ago. It made too many people laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Biting in general, OK--biting people, BAD!!

      Delete
  2. Laughed at everything here. I love ironic stuff. I'm not good at it myself, but I do like a good laugh.
    I've never tried to be sophisticated or suave, (isn't suave for men?), I'm riff-raff and I know it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suave's hair products are for women!!

      Delete
    2. There you go. I didn't know Suave was a product brand as well as an adjective.

      Delete
  3. Pretty much sums up my world.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. The one about the psychic being cancelled really had me laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love irony and all of these were fun. Think the billboards tickled me the most.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the chuckles on this "hump" day, Fran.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness for the examples, because I STILL don't get the written definition of irony! Or is that the point?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.