Follow

Thursday, September 22, 2016

THE IDEA FOR THIS POST CAME TO ME STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BLUE


 


First thing today is a quick test for you.
Warning: It's harder than it looks!! 


Have you ever noticed how color colors our lives?
We assign colors to many things that actually have no color at all, such as:



To be green
Used to describe someone who is immature, or inexperienced.


Give someone the green light / get the green light
When someone receives, or is given, permission to go ahead with something.


Tickled pink
To be very pleased, thrilled or delighted about something.


To be in the red
To have an overdraft, be in debt to your bank, or owe an institution some money.
A red flag
A signal that something is not working properly or correctly.
Red herring
An unimportant matter that misleads everyone and draws attention away from the main subject.
Red-eye
A journey that leaves late at night and arrives early in the morning.
Paint the town red
Celebrate.


Blue pencil
To censor something, or limit the information that is shared.
Blue blood
Used to describe someone from a noble, aristocratic or wealthy family.
Talking a blue streak
When someone talks very much and very rapidly.
Feeling blue
When someone looks or feels depressed or discontented.
Talk until you're blue in the face
To try really hard to win someone’s agreement, but usually end unsuccessfully.
True blue 
Loyal & faithful.

To whitewash something
To cover up or gloss over faults or wrongdoings
A white lie
A ‘little’ or ‘harmless’ lie told in order to be polite and avoid hurting someone’s feelings, or do something that is not seriously wrong
White collar
A term used for office workers that traditionally wear white shirts with a collar.



And, of course, black:
Black eye
A bruise near one’s eye
Black out
Either darken by putting out or dimming the lights or to lose consciousness.
Black market
A term used for places where goods are illegally bought and sold for a profit.
Blackball
To exclude or ostracize someone socially, reject them
Blacklist
To write someone’s name on a list if they break any rules, and ban them from having the opportunity to take part again.



Blackmail 
Getting things by threat.
Black sheep
A person who is the ‘odd one out’ of a group.
(myenglishteacher.eu)



Some colorblind people can see colors with EnChroma glasses:























I think I showed you my true colors----fishducky

 


14 comments:

  1. Love those cute little complimentary colours :)
    I'm concerned that gray hair must be seen before a pension payment can be given. Don't the wrinkles and bald spots mean anything any more?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember being given that test by a neurologist. She made me read an A4 typed page out to her, and it was very, very difficult.
    On the grey hair front, I qualified for a pension a long, long time ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter how many times I try that test, it's still difficult for me!! Who would think I'm so logical?

      Delete
  3. My uncle was color blind and for years didn't realize my mom had purchased a purple couch for the living room--LOL! Of course, who would buy a purple couch in the 50s, right? That last one...I have to stop sipping on my coffee while I read your blog posts. I almost chocked--ROFL!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This might help: http://www.idganswers.com/question/5791/how-do-i-save-a-keyboard-after-a-coffee-spill

      Delete
  4. I need to check that link also. I lost it at the disability remark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very interesting! And, as I have said before, I just love how your brain works, how you come up with stuff to share. Makes me feel oh so BORING !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family considers how my brain works to be an oxymoron!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for identifying the inventor of the color wheel---Og!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Og should get the credit he deserves!!

      Delete
  7. Heh, heh. It's a green!

    Ahh...The Stroop Effect. Every year, a couple students chose that color name list for their science project. Their classmate subjects became quite competitive (and frustrated) during the trials. I think there's also one with geometric shapes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought he'd be angry because it wasn't a purple!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.