Follow

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

THAT STINKS!! or FISHDUCKY KNOWS HER NOSES

Sorry this is so late--I forgot to hit "Publish"!!----Fran




Did you know that your sense of taste & your sense of smell are very closely connected?  That, actually, if you lose your sense of smell nothing will have any flavor?  My grandmother had this condition later in life; it's called anosmia. 

Fro more about this condition & other nose stuff,
Scroll down to video/2nd picture

To see possible problems with wearing a wax nose, 
click here.


There is a common misconception that our ears & noses continue to grow all our lives.  In reality, this isn't true.  This "growth" is due to cartilage continuing to grow as you age. The real reason our noses and ears keep getting larger is the result of that evil stepchild of fundamental forces, gravity.


Science can measure the brain's olfactory lobe and count the smell receptor cells in there, but it still can't qualify a smell in the lab -- only the nose knows whether a scent attracts or repels, and reveals this perception by words or behavior. This makes it difficult, if not impossible, to identify an absolute best smeller.

According to the number of scent receptors, the bear has the best sense of smell of all terrestrial mammals. Black bears have been observed to travel 18 miles in a straight line to a food source, while grizzlies can find an elk carcass when it's underwater and polar bears can smell a seal through 3 feet of ice. It's not all about food, though-- male polar bears have been known to trek a hundred miles following the scent of a sexually receptive sow.

The champion smeller of the insect world is the male silkmoth. He can scent his ladylove as far away as 6 miles or more, and he can detect as few as one or two of her pheromone scent particles at that distance. His ardor shows itself in his walk, which becomes a stagger, as if he were drunk on love. His powerful sense of smell has inspired scientists to begin developing an artificial brain based on it that may someday become the mover of scent-detecting robots to use against drug smuggling and chemical weapons.
(animals.mom.me)


A classic nose story (This is the full 113 minute movie.):

If you're not overly sensitive to foul odors, this might be a good job for you:

 Or this:

Or you could even work for a deodorant company:

We are born with "button" noses so we can nurse:

This is America's idea of a perfect adult nose:

But some people's noses don't turn out exactly like that.

A woman walks into a beauty parlor & tells the hairdresser she wants
to look like Barbra Streisand, so the beautician broke her nose:

Some are changed surgically, like Michael Jackson's:

And some grow a little too large, like Jimmy Durante's:
















 







22 comments:

  1. Haven't smelled anything in days. Miserable cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor baby!! Reminds me of an old joke: "My dog has no nose." "How does he smell?" "Terrible!!"

      Delete
  2. I had an aunt who lost most of her sense of smell because of some kind of surgery she had. She said everything tasted like paint thinner. How in the hell did she know what paint thinner tastes like? My button nose never grew. A doctor told me once that she was surprised I could breathe with such a small nose. I'm always the weird one. Or it my aunt, except she's dead. She's probably rolling around in her grave complaining that the dirt and worms taste like paint thinner.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always thought that straight gin (which I have tasted) tastes like nail polish remover (which I have NOT)!!

      Delete
    2. I've never had straight gin. I haven't had anything straight, at least not that I can recall. Maybe the gin tasted like nail polish remover because of the scent. Scents get in our mouths. That doesn't explain my weird aunt, though.

      Delete
    3. I didn't drink it on purpose. I was at a party & I started to cough. I grabbed what I thought was a glass of water on a table & took a swig. Like the JDL says, NEVER AGAIN!!

      Delete
  3. Good to know that at least I'm an elephants dream date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My grandfather had very little sense of smell. Since he was a poultry farmer, that was a good thing. But like you said, since his sense of smell was so non-existent, his sense of taste was mostly absent, too. The one thing he could taste was... limburger cheese. (Which my grandmother made him eat outside, because she COULD smell it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am always amazed at just how scents act as a memory trigger. Good and bad.
    Loved Frosty picking his nose - and am glad to see this post. I was a bit worried when I couldn't track it down earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. In high school, I made the girl sitting across the table from me laugh so hard that a chili bean shot out her nose. I don't know what was so funny, but she blamed me. I barely dodged the bean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did she have the courtesy to yell "INCOMING!!"?

      Delete
  7. Michael Jackson had the perfectly beautiful face and nose when he was a kid. What a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Kiss My Nose" har har har!
    when I was younger, still in school, I had hayfever just as bad as I do now, and learned that hayfever discharge is clear, while discharge from a nose with a cold is yellow-green. That's probably one reason why people look into their tissues. Maybe they've had a stuffy/runny nose for too long or the antihistamines aren't working, so they check the colour to be sure of what they are suffering from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Either that or they have no social graces!!

      Delete
  9. This is the nosiest post I've ever read :)
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things on this blog can (& probably will) get worse!!

      Delete
  10. I'd be perfect for the elephant, too--although I don't know if my ears are big enough--LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only thing I can say to that is "What?"!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.