Follow

Monday, November 14, 2016

WE ARE NOT ALL JUNE CLEAVER


June Cleaver, as all we people of a certain age know, was Beaver Cleaver's mother in the TV series, "Leave it to Beaver".  We almost always saw her perfectly made up, in heels & wearing a crisp, clean starched apron over a nice dress.  She cooked gourmet meals for her husband & kids.  Her house was spotless.  Many women (but not me) tried to emulate her.  I have had many non-Cleaver days.  (Even Cary Grant said he was not always like Cary Grant.)  Let me give you some examples of my non-Cleaverness from previous posts:

When our youngest, Blake, was about two the kids were having lunch & I was at the sink, with my back to them.  Blake knocked over his glass & spilled his milk.  I wiped it up & poured him some more.  He knocked over his glass again, & again I wiped it up & poured him more.  I warned him not to do it again or he would be sorry.  I watched him out of the corner of my eye as he deliberately knocked it over one more time.  I picked up the gallon milk bottle (which had probably a quart or so left in it) & emptied it on his head!  Childish, I know, but it made a beautiful waterfall—or, I guess, a milkfall.  He didn’t even cry—he just sat there with his little mouth hanging open in amazement as the milk cascaded over his head. 

Later, I was a Brownie leader.  My Brownie story: When Blake was slightly older, his sister, Nameless, was about to transition, or “cross the bridge”, from Brownies to Girl Scouts.  I was her Brownie leader.  I decorated a mirror as a lake with a bridge & some Brownie figures.  Blake saw it & said, “Dat pwetty.”  I said, “Thank you.”  He asked, “Dat fo’ us?”  I said, “No.  It’s for the Brownies.”  He lowered his head & walked away mumbling, “Ev’wy damn t’ing in dis house fo’ Bwownies!”

Bud later was the Cub Scout leader & I was the head Den Mother.  We scheduled a "Thank you" dinner at our home for the den mothers & their spouses.  (If the plural of mouse is mice & the plural of louse is lice, why isn't the plural of spouse spice?)  No problem, the dinner went beautifully.  The only thing that was bad?  We had inadvertently scheduled it on Nameless' birthday.

My point is that no matter how hard a mother tries, she will screw up somehow.  And you don't even have to be a mother.  It's hard to be a young woman, as witnessed by these cartoons by Cassandra Calin:
















If you can't (or don't want to) be the woman in this song:

Be this one:













 




20 comments:

  1. Anyone would think that Cassandra knew what she was drawing about...
    Big smiles. And some wincing.
    I am so glad I am no longer young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he was incredibly insensitive to sing The Girl That I Marry to a woman obviously besotted and then walk away.
    Love Cassandra's cartoons :)
    And am even more determined to NEVER have implants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you're perfect (enough) just the way you are!!

      Delete
  3. I could see the milk dripping off that young'un. What a hoot.
    R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thought still brings a tear to my eye=--& probably his!!

      Delete
  4. Cassandra is a Talented young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cassandra is new to me and a hoot. Could really relate to the bathing suit.
    So glad you are here making us laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Cassandra cartoons. Implants--OMG! Hysterical!
    The Girl That I Marry--with his spiffy outfit and humongous monogrammed gloves is he sure it's a girl he's after? LOL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Women, we make it hard on ourselves but the struggle is real.
    June Cleaver made it look easy.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had makeup & wardrobe people & made thousands every week!!

      Delete
  8. That passport reality photo is just like my driver's license photo. Only 10 X better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The DMV should have hired Ansel Adams!!

      Delete
  9. I tried to re-state what Blake had said regarding the pwetty set-up for the Brownies, but I got it all wrong. I love the way you told that story, Fishducky. I feel for him, and I hope he's over it by now.

    Keep us smiling, and take good care.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! Love Rapunzel with the hair curlers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A woman needs some time to get ready!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.