Follow

Thursday, December 22, 2016

YOU'RE HAVING A BAD HAIR DAY? SO WHAT? I'M HAVING A BAD HAIR LIFE!!


(This first paragraph only is from an old post.)


We were with our friends, Bob & Phyllis on a cruise to Puerto Vallarta. Bud & I were in our cabin & I was showering in preparation for dinner.  Bud opened the door to the bathroom & asked me to come into the cabin.  I said I’d be out in a couple of minutes.  He said I had to come out NOW & to be sure I was wearing my robe.  He was trying very hard not to laugh.  I had left my long “gypsy” wig on the bed along with my clothes while I was cleaning up.  Wigs were very popular at the time.  Everybody was wearing them.  Even more people were wearing them than I’d realized.  Bob was sitting there visiting with Bud, with my “gypsy” wig on his shaved head!  At least I looked better in it than he did.  (I think.)  Maybe because I wore it with big hoop earrings.


(Not me--or Bob)

My hair has always been straight.  I know straight hair is in style now & they even have a roller-type thing so you can straighten your hair at home; but when I was in grammar school in the 40's, only curly hair would do.  My mother braided my hair & crossed the two braids over my head.  I hated it!!  I thought my ears stuck out.  (They don't, really, & now I wear my hair tucked behind my ears.)  I was sure I looked like Alfred E. Neuman in a Heidi costume.

Alfred E. Neuman

Except I wasn't blond. Or Austrian.


My grandparents lived with us a couple of years while I was still in grammar school.  I loved it because Bubby (what I called her) would comb my hair in the mornings, gently--unlike my mother!!  She would sit on the couch & I would sit on the floor in front of her.  She brushed my hair so softly it almost made me purr.  A few years ago I was in a beauty parlor & after the shampoo girl washed my hair she massaged my scalp.  I had a flashback of my grandmother.  I told the shampoo girl & added it was almost like petting a dog until they were almost hypnotized. She said that was nice but if I started shaking my leg she was going to stop.






My high school years were spent with me sleeping in curlers.  Ouch!!  The resultant curls lasted an hour or so.  I've had several permanents, but they really should be called temporaries.  I wish I could wear my hair like Robin Wright, but it's not thick enough.  I wish I had her face & figure, too, but that's another story.


I stopped dyeing my hair about six months or so ago.  I figured that at age 82 it was OK to be gray.  Funny thing is the gray looks almost blond.  I don't understand that at all!!

You can see a little of my hair here.
Doesn't it look blond?
I don't know why my mustache is still so dark.

There are three ways a man wears his hair...
Parted, Un-parted, or Departed!!

What do you call a parade of rabbits hopping backwards?
A receding hare-line.



















 








19 comments:

  1. Life would indeed be boring (and much less funny) without you.
    Definitely grey here. And curly. My mother used to have hers straightened once a week. It lasted several hours (on a good week).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've long ago given up on curly, but I DO wish it were thicker!!

      Delete
  2. I freely admit life would be very boring without you :)
    Grey here too, but still some colour. Some of the grey is darker, some is actually white, and I still have some dark blonde/light brown hair too. I stopped dying it about ten years ago. I used to dye it dark brown which really didn't suit me but I couldn't see it at the time. When I was fifty I started using lighter shades each time I coloured until I was at the closest shade to my own hair, then I stopped altogether.
    I remember recently brushing out my grand daughter's hair, it's beautiful hair, but badly neglected and very very tangled. It took me just over an hour and by now it's probably right back where I started :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd have to do her hair daily to do any good!!

      Delete
    2. It would have to get washed too...if only she lived closer. But then I'd have to put up with the mother too, who is a little (a lot) psycho.

      Delete
    3. You've got a daughter like that, too?

      Delete
    4. Son's partner, she's just like her mother.

      Delete
  3. If I didnt color my hair, I would be total grey. It started in my 30's. Im not ready for that yet. Ill wait til im in my 80's.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nameless is in her 50's & she doesn't have any grey hair (thanks to her beautician)!!

      Delete
  4. The comics here were great!

    I have a surprising number of gray hairs for as young as what I'm told I am. I can only imagine how it will be by the time I'm 40. I hate to think about having half a century of dyeing my hair ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be glad you still have half a century ahead of you; grey or not!!

      Delete
  5. Laughed out loud at "shaking my leg". Yes, our days would be boring with out your posts. Keep'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Love the guy handing his wife a gun instead of a hairdrier.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My golden tresses have always had a mind of their own. I HATED it when my mom cut my bangs. They were always too short. I was so happy when I was old enough not to have bangs anymore.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very FEW people (including myself) look good in bangs!!

      Delete
  8. Yes, your hair looks blond. I hope you have a best friend to hold it out of the way, because you look like you're about to have a night of hard partying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the glasses made me look SCHOLARLY!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.