He likes this post!!
What do you get if you cross a parrot with an elephant?
An animal that tells you everything that it remembers.
- A group of elephants can be called a 'memory of elephants', although a herd is a more common collective noun. On a related theme, elephants follow cattle in that the females, males and offspring are called, cows, bulls and calves respectively.
- The elephant's memory is legendary, what is not so well known is they have a special ceremony for greeting a long lost member of the herd. In this greeting ceremony both elephants flap their ears, trumpet and generally express joy.
- It would be easy to be fooled into thinking that elephants drank through their trunks; in fact they use the trunk as a funnel to collect water, but then pour it into their mouth. Sometimes elephants choose to spray themselves with the water rather than drinking it. Incidentally, there are no bones in an elephant's trunk.
- An elephant detective could track an elephant by following their individual footprints. What would help such stalking is the elephant's habit of using the same paths as their ancestors.
- Elephants display 'right-handedness', not in their limbs, but in the tusks. Close examination of an elephant's tusks will reveal that one tusk has a blunter tip and is thicker than its less favored counterpart. The reason for this difference is that in their natural habitat elephants use their tusk(s) for gathering food, and digging for water. Consequently the tusk on their favorite becomes more developed, but blunter.
- Elephant's ivory poses a terrible dilemma, it's a wonderful and versatile material, but the fact that tusks are so valuable encourages poaching. It seems particularly obscene to think of such a noble, sensitive, joyous animal suffering at the hands of barbaric poachers. All that Will and Guy can do about it is not to buy anything made of ivory.
- The gestation period of mammals is in proportion to their size. Thus, pregnancy in mice lasts about 21 days, whereas in elephants it takes over 21 months.
- March 13th is National Thai Elephant Day, while September 22nd is Elephant Appreciation Day.
The poor lizard has unfortunately become a doll of this
elephant & was trapped for a few days.
Have you hugged your elephant today?
Mind if I sneak in about one horse joke? (Thanks, Susan!!)
A bookie was at the races playing the ponies...and losing his shirt. He noticed a Priest step out onto the track and blessed the forehead of one of the horses lining up for the 4th race. Lo and behold the horse, a long shot, won the race!
Next race, as the horses lined up, the Priest stepped onto the track, and sure enough, he blessed one of the horses.
The bookie made a beeline for a betting window and placed a small bet on the horse. Again, even though it was another long shot, the horse won!!
He collected his winnings, and anxiously waited to see which horse the Priest would bless next, he bet big on it. It won. As the races continued the Priest kept blessing horses, and each one ended up winning!!
The bookie was elated. He made a quick dash to the ATM, withdrew all his savings and awaited the Priest's blessing that would tell him which horse to bet on. True to his pattern, the Priest stepped onto the track for the last race and blessed the forehead of an old nag that was 100 to 1. This time the priest blessed the eyes, ears and hooves of the old nag. The bookie knew he had a winner and bet every cent he owned on the old nag.
He watched dumbfounded as the old nag pulled up and couldn't even finish the race. In a state of shock, he went to the track area where the Priest was standing. Confronting him, he demanded, “Father!! What happened? All day long you blessed horses and they all won. Then in the last race, the horse you blessed never even had a chance. Now, thanks to you, I've lost every cent of my savings!!”
The Priest nodded wisely and with sympathy. “You're not Catholic are you, my son?”
"No, I'm Jewish."
"That's the problem," said the Priest, "you couldn't tell the difference between a blessing and last rites."
They have been known to visit a hotel for dinner:
Baby elephants being cute:
This one is trying to find out what that long thing on his face is for:
He's trying to find her nose:
And this one just wants to cuddle:
You might be interested in joining me in signing this petition:
I'm not lazy--I'm just really good at doing nothing----fishducky