Follow

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

CONFESSIONS OF A FISHDUCKY


And sometimes I was a bad girl!!

(Some of this is from older posts.  Some of it isn't.  The cartoons are new.)

Sit down.  What I’m going to tell you may come as a shock.   know some of you will find this hard to believe, but I wasn't always perfect.   Let me give you some of the very few examples of this:

When I was about 4--I remember being perfect until that time--my brother was ill & the doctor was coming over to examine him. (Ask your parents what the archaic term “house call” means.  Or your grandparents.)  I was in our backyard doing some genteel ladylike thing such as climbing a tree or possibly digging a hole.  My mother came & got me & dragged led me into the house so she could clean me up in preparation for the doctor’s visit.  She took a washcloth & scrubbed my face.  This did not go over too well with me.  According to my mother, I screamed at her, “PUT THAT DIRT BACK ON MY FACE!!

We used to go to Acapulco with friends every year.  We always stayed at Hotel Las Brisas.  Las Brisas consists of about 250 “casitas” (little free-standing houses).  Each one has its own fenced in privacy pool where you could go skinny dipping without being seen by anyone.  Early every morning someone would come, clean out the old flowers & toss a few fresh hibiscuses in the pool.  (One day I told Bud I was very upset that I couldn’t use the pool yet.  He asked me why & I told him the flower man was late.  Yesterday’s flowers were still in the pool!!)  Bud & I had finished our room service lunch & had put the tray outside the gate so it could be picked up & we could skinny dip without interruptions.  Someone came to get the tray & I heard the rattling of dishes & glassware.  We had been married between 20 & 25 years at the time, but as they say, old habits die hard.  When I heard the noise outside the gate & realized we were naked & in the pool together, I had a terrifying thought: “Oh, my God, my mother is coming!!”

Las Brisas

Another time I (may) have been guilty:  I was driving with my 3 year old daughter & infant son in the backseat.  I drove through an intersection & was pulled over by a policeman.   I asked him why he had stopped me & he told me I had run a red light.  I honestly told him that I hadn’t—that the light was amber & changing when I went through.  My helpful (?) daughter piped up, “No, Mommy, it was red!!”  It’s always nice to have a witness--however, I would have preferred one who was on my side.  I got the ticket.


This may or may not fit in here: There was the time I was feeling put upon, unappreciated & totally exhausted—in  other words, completely normal for someone with 3 children, all under the age of 6.  I couldn’t take it any longer.  I had to get away.  I HAD TO RUN AWAY!!  I couldn’t leave the kids alone so I piled them in the backseat of the car & strapped them in to keep them from killing each other.  I understand that there is a secondary (& therefore of lesser importance) benefit to seat belts.  It helps keep them safe.  They asked where we were going.  I told them “I DON’T KNOW!!!!!!!!!!” & not to say another word.  I drove.  Anywhere.  We ended up at an ice cream parlor about 5 miles from the house.  So the trip wouldn’t be a total loss, we all went in & had sundaes.  I'm sure they were curious as to why I had taken them out for a treat when they were being bad but I wouldn’t allow them to talk yet.

And the only other example I remember:  Many years ago, I was very curious about pot.  That was before I had kids, so I couldn't get it from them, not that my kids would ever use it!!  I called my niece in San Francisco & asked if she could help me.  She invited me up for the weekend & said she would be my supplier.  My niece, her boyfriend & I were peacefully smoking some pot & talking when I suddenly realized something strange; I couldn't remember what was said the last couple of seconds!!  It would come to me, but I had to wait for it.  It made for a very odd (& slow) conversation.  I never tried it again.
























----fishducky




 




17 comments:

  1. You weren't always perfect? I find that very hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto EC.
    I'm laughing at Noah and the woodpeckers and that man with the bag of bird seed. If only it was (were?) that easy to fill your garden with birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that not EVERY seed will bloom!!

      Delete
  3. If I were perfect I wouldn't have anything to write about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your every story tickles me with giggles. If I ever get pulled over for running a red, I'll claim it's amber. I have no kids, so I'll let you know if it works.
    Be well and keep a smile, Fishducky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It REALLY was amber--& it didn't work for me!!

      Delete
  5. I like your writing style. I makes the reader smile and increases the curiosity at the same time. Thanks for sharing your fun memories with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Does your husband still read my posts?

      Delete
  6. Had to laugh at your pot experiment.Trying to remember conversation was just a taste of old age. I did the same experiment and was astounded how slowly time passed. Wouldn't mind that aspect today as fast as time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank goodness you weren't ON THE POT when you got pulled over!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would your husband defend you for any drug abuse charges?

    Actually back in the dy you could do several years for that horrible crime of possession.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He would defend me & give me a family discount; he's very generous!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.