Follow

Friday, January 20, 2017

IS THERE A WATCHBIRD WATCHING YOU?

This is a watchbird watching you.

And so is this.

Most of you are too young to have seen Watchbirds. These Watchbirds cartoons by Munro Leaf started out as a recurring column in Ladies Home Journal in 1938, but remained a fixture in the cultural mindset even after Leaf’s death in 1976. There is a Watchbirds calendar from 1978 and the most recent Watchbirds book, Four and Twenty Watchbirds, was published in 1990. I discovered them in Highlights for Children magazine in the 1950's when I took my children to the pediatrician.  They were an attempt to teach children manners & proper behavior in a way that kids would enjoy.  Here are some sample pages:








I think this one was on a bus:

What better place to go people watching than Walmart?



I don't know if these people of Walmart are candid, posed or photoshopped;
but I don't really care:









 





















 



20 comments:

  1. Of course I laughed at your post.
    I think the Wrong-time reader is an imaginary beast though. Any time is right for reading.
    Loved the 'common bitch' too. And sadly she is common. Not a rare bird at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To paraphrase:

      The common bitch is seen a lot,
      Though we never hope to see them,
      But I can tell you here & now,
      I'd rather see than be one!!

      Delete
  2. Did I laugh? You betcha!
    Was I a wrong-time reader today? Not yet, but the night is young..
    Love the aliens landing and no one noticing, I think these days that could actually happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't need a WATCHBIRD, I have Mrs. C

    ReplyDelete
  4. The woman in the pink halter.....I cant...........
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gee, maybe I should shop at Walmart's more often. Some of those people would make me look GOOD! (And yes, fishducky DID make me laugh today.)

    Have a super weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cartoon saying television lets you be entertained by people you wouldn't have in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't need a Watchbird to tell me not to leave lights on. When we left a room, the light went off or there was trouble. I still can't bear to leave a light on unless I really need it.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't you trip over your furry roommates?

      Delete
  8. I always do. You are great for my attitude. Loved the clouds seeing cloud shapes in the people. I will think of that now every time I search clouds for images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The people of Walmart look like STORM clouds!!

      Delete
  9. ACK! What has been seen cannot be unseen! Those People of Walmart (from behind) are going to give me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good to see you again, it has been far too long. And, yes Watch Bird, I did laugh at my friend's post. I always do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good friends ALWAYS laugh at their friend's posts!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.