Follow

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

33 SCIENCE FACTS WE DIDN’T KNOW AT THE START OF 2016





Good news for Einstein, bad news for anyone who likes red squirrels.






1. Gravitational waves exist.
2. There’s an Earth-like planet just four light years away.
3. It’s possible for a computer to beat a human world champion at Go.
4. The Zika virus does indeed cause microcephaly, a medical condition in which the brain doesn’t develop properly.
5. It turns out there are actually four species of giraffe, not just one.
ESO / M Kornmesser
Julian Fennessy
6. Some red squirrels in Britain carry a strain of leprosy seen in humans in the Middle Ages.
7. There’s a 54 billion cubic feet reserve of helium gas in Tanzania.
8. There’s an underwater “lost city” off a Greek island that is actually just a group of naturally-formed weirdly uniform rocks.
9. There’s a mysterious, slow-moving deep-sea shark that has been found to live for nearly 400 years.
10. Human penises might have lost their baculum, aka penis bone, when our species became monogamous.


                                   


































Karen van der Zijden
11. The largest known prime number is 274,207,281 − 1. It’s 5 million digits longer than the previous record prime number.
12. There might be a ninth planet in our solar system, 10 times bigger than Earth and orbiting 20 times farther away than Neptune, on average.
13. Earth has got a sort of second moon (more accurately, a quasi-satellite) with the catchy name (469219) 2016 HO3.
14. Ninety-nine million years ago a little dinosaur got its tail trapped in amber, and its tail feathers were preserved.
Royal Saskatchewan Museum / RC McKellar



















































15. Pluto’s atmosphere is more compact and cold than we previously thought.
16. And around the dwarf planet’s famous heart-shaped region, there’s a huge variety of terrains.
17. A bunch of stars went supernova close to Earth 3.2 and 1.7 million years ago.
18. The lost Philae spacecraft’s final resting place on comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko is in the shadow of a boulder.
19. There is a giant planet with three suns 320 light years away.
NASA/JHUAPL/SwRI
ESA / Rosetta















ESA / Rosetta



20. Ducklings can recognize the concepts of “same” and “different”.
21. Naked mole rats are not totally immune to cancer.
22. Tardigrades can survive after being frozen for 30 years.
23. Cod might have regional accents.
Carosch / Getty Images
Eraxion / Getty Images























24. Cloned animals can age healthily – four clones of the original cloned sheep, Dolly, have lived to old age with no obvious long-term health issues.
25. Dementia rates in England and Wales dropped in the two decades up to 2011.
26. The benefits of cycling in polluted cities like London outweigh the bad health effects of pollution.
27. Teaching parents new ways to interact with their autistic child can lessen the severity of the child’s symptoms.
28. Swearing is not necessarily a sign of a limited vocabulary.





GIA copyright, credit Robert Weldon and Gem Diamonds Ltd.]

Fabio Falchi / advances.sciencemag.org


29. A third of the planet’s population can’t see the Milky Way from where they live.
30. It was probably soot that killed the dinosaurs.
31. It’s possible to turn carbon dioxide into stone – if you pump it into underground volcanic rocks in Iceland.
32. Some of the biggest and clearest diamonds probably formed in liquid metal hundred of miles below the surface of Earth.
33. The Antarctic ozone layer is healing.
(Courtesy BuzzFeed)

























I'm great at multi-tasking; I can waste time, be unproductive, and procrastinate all at once----fishducky

 


26 comments:

  1. I am pretty certain that 330 would be an inadequate representation of the science facts I don't know.
    And yes, life does indeed begin after work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. graduated cylinders, ha ha :)
    how can we be 100% positive those naturally formed rocks aren't really Atlantis? Has anyone cut one of them open to check if they're not naturally formed around sunken old buildings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll cut one open after dinner & get back to you!!

      Delete
  3. What do you mean a human penis has lost its bone? Ok let me go back and read the rest.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear the number one hit song in Tanzania is "Ding Dong,The Witch is Dead!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. As for #9, if I were almost 400 years old, I'd be slow-moving, too. And #28, about swearing not being a sign of a limited vocabulary? I can attest to that. My vocabulary continues to expand, and that's partly because I now cuss upon occasion, and use words I NEVER would have used when my vocabulary was more... limited.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My %$*&@# vocabulary has expanded, too!! Can't you &!@*%$ tell?

      Delete
  6. I just love facts like these. There is so much to learn, so little time--for me anyway. Pavlov's cat is perfect.
    Glad to see you have mastered my three favorite methods of time management.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, my three methods are sleep, sleep & sleep!!

      Delete
  7. Dear Fishducky, these facts were fascinating. I have to admit, though, that I didn't know a lot of the words. So I had to look things up--like tardigrades. Like Arkansas Patti, I'm feeling the pressure of time--so little time left to learn so much! Thank you for sharing all this. It branches my dendrites! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it feel great when your dendrites are branched?!!

      Delete
  8. I'm waiting for The Big Bangs Theory to appear in textbooks. Oh, wait! I'm retired, so I'm not. The Big Bangs, I think, were actually discovered during the mid-to-late 1980s, in public high schools. Check the yearbook pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yearbook pictures--always a good source of information!!

      Delete
  9. Yes that is one big banana...Wow that was a lot more information than I ever knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stick with me, Jimmy; you'll get smart!!

      Delete
  10. Wait, our species became monogamous? I think our species (or many among us) missed the memo.
    The level of entertainment around here keeps getting better and better.
    Hugs, Fishducky.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I discovered your site ideal for me. It consists of wonderful and useful posts. I've read many of them and also got so much from them. In my experience, you do the truly amazing.Truly i'm impressed out of this publish.construction loans how they work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful, maybe; useful, I sincerely doubt it!!

      Delete
  12. OH wow! I have to come back to this post when I have time to read all the links! I find this stuff fascinating!! (Love Pavlov's cat!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come back any time; we're open 24/7!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.