Follow

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

JUST NOT SO STORIES: HOW THE KANGAROO GOT ITS POUCH



(Ed. note: Rudyard Kipling submitted these "Just Not So Stories" to his editor in 1895. They were rejected.  Following his editor's suggestion, he reworked them into a book called "Just So Stories" which was finally published in 1902.  We were fortunate enough to find these drafts among his papers.)

(Disclaimer: OK, I admit it; These are from my book, "Fishducky's Fables" and I've run some of these before, but, hey, I'm 82.  You can't expect me to run a new post five times a week.  At least I've reworked them and the cartoons are all new!!)




Did you know that many years ago, the kangaroo had no pouch?  That’s true.  I wouldn’t lie to you.  (I might kid you a little bit, but I wouldn’t lie to you.)  Let me tell you how they got the pouches that they have today.

Since most of them couldn’t afford babysitters or even the least expensive day care facility, when they went out to feed, the mother kangaroos always had their children with them.  Every time they let go of their paws to bend down to take a bite of a delicious plant or munch on some grass their joeys (babies) would run off to play.  The moms would have to stop eating and go off in search of them.  It was okay when the joeys were tiny and in their strollers, but they soon outgrew those.  True, it kept the mothers slim, but they were always hungry.


The fathers were no help;
they just drank beer

or played with their balls all day

One day one of the mothers had a great idea.  “If we just had something to put them in,” she thought, “We could finally finish a meal without all that hassle.”  She went online and typed in “baby carriers”.  She found Baby Bjorns and Moby Wraps and some other brands.  She ordered several so she and her friends could try them out.  They were fine when the mothers were standing still, but when they bent over to eat, the joeys still slipped out.  And there was no way they would stay in when their moms started hopping!!  They had to come up with a Plan B.

They thought and thought and they watched many other animals.  They saw an alligator with her baby sitting on her head and they tried that but it gave them headaches.  They saw an opossum with her babies on her back and they tried that, too, but when they stood up, the joeys fell off.  It was then that they had another idea--why not carry them in a purse?  A few of them went to the local Dollar Store and got some inexpensive purses to try it out.  They worked perfectly but human (and kangaroo) nature being what it is, some of the mothers had to show off.  They began carrying their joeys in handbags designed by Louis Vuitton, Kate Spade and even Prada.

Naturally, that made the kangaroo mothers who couldn’t afford the designer brands very sad.  One of them (I know her first name was Martha and I think her last name was Stewart, but I'm not sure) went to Pinterest and found a pattern for an apron.  She played around with it and discovered that if she sewed two of them together, with an opening at the top which could by kept closed with a drawstring, she had the perfect baby carrier.  She made enough for all her friends, who loved them.  She decided to start a business online and it wasn’t long before all of the lady kangaroos, even the Prada carrying ones, started ordering them from Martha and wearing them.

Apparently, Mother Nature thought that was a really good idea, too, because now all female kangaroos are born with her version of that apron.  She didn’t include the drawstring closure, though.












Carol Wyer's new book is being released today!!
To read a review, click here & also here.
To hear Carol read the first chapter, click here.






 




20 comments:

  1. Many, many mother kangaroos have a Brian. Pouch potatoes are common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandson is named Brian & so is his cousin's boyfriend; neither one lives at home any more!!

      Delete
  2. Loved the Martha reference and "your baby is sooo small" cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that would bother ANY man!!

      Delete
  3. Dear Fishducky, that Martha Stewart roo really was an entrepreneur par excellence! And she's still at it! Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even a prison term hasn't stopped her!!

      Delete
  4. You can reprint the stories from your book as much as you want. I will never tire of them. You have a very special sense of humor and I'm so glad I got you started blogging so long ago now. I know you enjoy it, as do all of us who read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blogging!! (I started 6/25/12.)

      Delete
  5. I wish I'd had a pouch for my children. I lost them all the time. In fact, I had three children, but I put down the third one someplace and never found him again.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't worry about him; two kids are plenty!!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the inside dope on the kangaroos. (No matter how many times I see that pic of the roo playing with his balls, it cracks me up.)

    I got your friend's book (I think it was called "Lost Girl," but I'm too lazy to go in the other room to check my Kindle.) and finished reading it the other morning. Good stuff! Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got her new book yesterday & was going to read a chapter or two at 10:00 pm; I FORCED myself to go to bed at midnight. I'll probably finish it tonight!! (This may be better than the last one.)

      Delete
  7. Sheila the irresponsible marsupial at Wallaby-Mart, that was pretty funny, OK yes the yours is so small one was too ha ha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can hold only so much in your pouch!!

      Delete
  8. Naughty Sheila! As for Brian, still home at 42 AND smoking inside..I'd run off and leave him while he was out buying his next pack of cigarettes.
    I have Little Girl Lost on my kindle, but haven't started reading it yet. I think it's about third in line after my current story. Secrets of the Dead sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, the Dollar Store idea was a good thing while it lasted! I had a guest speaker one year who brought a wallaby to my classroom. I'm really glad he didn't play with his balls. By that, I mean the WALLABY! But I'm glad the speaker didn't, either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy for you on both counts!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.