Follow

Monday, June 12, 2017

TWO HEADS ARE BETTER THAN ONE (UNLESS THEY'RE ON THE SAME PERSON)






Many of the expressions we use everyday make no sense when you think about them (much like my posts) such as:

More than you can shake a stick at.  I don't know about you, but I can shake a stick at as many things as I'd like.

Dead Ringer.  A "dead ringer" for someone means that someone looks or acts exactly like someone else. But where on earth could it have come from? Well, evidence points to horses being the answer. Sometimes a racing horse would be replaced by a better, identical horse to cheat on bets, and the cheater's horse would be called a "ringer." However, there's no telling how "dead" came to be connected. I'm not sure I want to know.


To have a skeleton in your closet.  Hell, I've hardly got room for my clothes!!


It’s raining cats and dogs.  Be careful, don't step in a poodle!!


Straight from the horse's mouth.  As far as I can tell, the only thing that comes from a horse's mouth is slobber.



Hand over fist.  This phrase generally refers to making a ton of money at a time, but what does it mean? Are you taking money with one hand and stuffing it into your other fist? Because at that point, why don't you just close the hand that's holding the money and turn it into a fist? And why are you carrying money around in your fists in the first place? How about you put it in the bank and earn like a grown-up?

Let’s get down to the Nitty-Gritty.  What is the nitty-gritty & how far do we have to go to get down to it?


She has a green thumb.  She's probably been handling too many old rotten plants.

The guy's a basket case.  Does that mean he makes baskets?  Or that he should be locked in one?

You’re the apple of my eye.  An apple in your eye?  Adam & Eve must have been very confused!!


Pure as the driven snow.   If snow is “driven,” it has been blown into drifts and untrodden upon by filthy human heels. Sounds pure, indeed, but whoever coined the phrase didn’t have pollution to worry about. According to Canadian researchers,  pure white snow is a magnet for car exhaust pollution, absorbing enough toxins after one hour to make it dangerously inedible. So there you go, dads who make “yellow snow” jokes: Don’t trust the driven snow, either.  (rd.com)

If you are now a little confused, these adages I found on grammar.net should straighten things out for you:

“Absence makes the heart grow fonder” but “Out of sight is out of mind.” 

“Talk is cheap” but “Money talks.” 

“Do as I say, not as I do” but “Actions speak louder than words.”

“The best things in life are free” but “There’s no such thing as a free lunch.” 

“A closed mouth catches no flies” but “You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.” 

“The more, the merrier” but “Two’s company; three’s a crowd.” 

“Opposites attract” but “Birds of a feather flock together.”

“March to the beat of your own drummer” but “Great minds think alike.” 

“You’re never too old to learn” but “You can’t teach an old dog new tricks.”

“Clothes make the man” but “You can’t judge a book by its cover.” 

“Many hands make light work” but “Too many cooks spoil the broth.”

“Haste makes waste” but “He who hesitates is lost.”

“The pen is mightier than the sword” but “Actions speak louder than words.”

“What you see is what you get” but “Don't judge a book by its cover.”

Since this is a new post, I'm going to use old recycled cartoons.
I hope you don't mind:










If you haven't yet read this book, now's the time to order it.
For a short time, it's available for only 99¢ on Amazon!!
UK πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ http://amzn.to/2pAm1cU 
US πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ http://amzn.to/2q17Df2 




I hope I've made everything perfectly clear----fishducky

 






20 comments:

  1. Secrets of the Dead is $1.99 in Australia, but I loved Little Girl Lost so much I just have to read the next one.
    I always thought basket case means the type of person who should be locked away in one of those places where basket weaving is the daily recreation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Secrets of the Dead is just as good, I promise!!

      Delete
  2. Funny how many of these sayings we have actually used :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting and very informative post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My posts may be interesting but they are seldom informative!!

      Delete
  4. I've always wondered where these old sayings come from. I bet you could google these and get a few answers. I may have more time than money but I don't want to fall down a rabbit hole. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that physically you could keep up with Alice!!

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I could use two heads. One to remember the bleeping word that vanished from my vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What makes you think another head would remember the word?

      Delete
  6. Ha! Someone else must be sitting on my laurels because I can't find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you looked in your sock drawer?

      Delete
  7. That horsey in the picture needs his toofers brushed.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many of these things I still say in conversation.
    r

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh, heh! I loved the sign for the ESCARGOT SHORTS in the background of the snail cartoon.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.