Follow

Wednesday, July 26, 2017

TRAINS, PLANES & AUTOMOBILES (& BLIMPS)



The first time we were in Paris our friend accompanied us on a train to Versailles (about an hour & a half train ride) & dropped us off there.  He had already toured the palace there & had no desire to go through again.  A tour takes all day.  He said we could easily get back to his apartment by just retracing our steps.  I felt fairly comfortable in a French speaking country; after all, I had taken French in high school (20 years earlier)!!  We must have come out a different entrance than we went in because nothing looked familiar.  I stopped someone & asked, "Où est la gare du train?"  (Where is the train station?)  Imagine my surprise when they responded, "Quelle gare du train?" (Which train station?)  I said "Le train à Paris" (The train to Paris) & they pointed out the direction.  There were no cabs around so we ran to the station.  We found it & got on the train to Paris, or so we thought.  Just to confirm, I asked a passenger, "Est-ce le train pour Paris?" (Is this the train to Paris?) & was told "Non!!"  They told me where to catch the right train.  Just before the train started rolling I grabbed Bud's hand & we ran to the right train.  We got on just as they were pulling out.  Our friend had pointed out the Little Statue of Liberty on the way to Versailles & I was very relieved to see it again.
  

We were flying to San Diego to visit some dear friends & take our kids (ages 5-8) to the world famous zoo.  Our friend was meeting our plane.  The flight was uneventful & we were coming in for a landing.  We were almost on the ground & then up we went again.  The pilot got on the horn & informed us that there was a truck on the runway & that he pulled the plane up to avoid him. We circled back & made a smooth landing.  When our friend met us he said, "Wow!!  That was really scary."  I said "Not really" & told him what the pilot said.  His response was "He lied.  Your landing gear wasn't down!!"

Way back in the Stone Age 1969, I bought a new Mustang, made to my specifications. The cigarette lighter & a couple of other things didn't work so I brought it back to the dealer for service. They called me to tell me it was ready & I went back to pick it up. I went to their back lot, where they told me it was--& it WASN'T! Someone had stolen it off the lot. They used to park cars that had been serviced with the keys in them. Only one car had been stolen before mine & it belonged to the son of the man who owned the dealership. The police located my car parked on a side street a few miles away. They had changed the tires to a set of old ones & had removed the seats & the engine. You could open the hood & see the driveshaft!! It was as if they had eaten an orange & left me the peel. They gave me another Mustang as a loaner while they built me another new car.

One thing I had always wanted to do was to ride in the Goodyear blimp.  Somehow my son Matt got a pass for one person.  He knew I would kill him if he used it instead of giving it to me Because he loves me so much, he offered it to me.  I accepted.  I got to fly in the co-pilot's seat, although I didn't get to work the controls.  I remember that it had huge foot pedals, which were the rudders for turning right or left.  I don't remember much else, except that I loved it!! Matt would have liked it, too.












I can't do a post about airplanes without putting this one in:












----fishducky


 





17 comments:

  1. Matt is a very good (and very wise) son.
    Love Nicola's letter. A most excellent reminder to ALL pilots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Matt & Nicola were wise beyond their years!!

      Delete
  2. With that much talent to quickly remove the engine, you'd think they could get a good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strange that they put old tires on your car after taking everything else. I'd have thought leaving it up on blocks would have been the case. Guess they had a heart after all.
    So glad your pilot was a liar. Can't imagine the chaos if he had told the truth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They left it parked on a side street; I guess they thought no one would notice for a few days & I don't even want to think about our landing gear not being down!!

      Delete
  4. It does seem odd that they switched your tires for old ones, but didn't do the same with the engine. What did they drive there, some Flintstone car that needed horsepower instead of footpower?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't tell from the street that the engine was gone!!

      Delete
  5. Thanks for explaining how blimps conceive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't your parents ever have the talk about the blimps & the balloons with you?

      Delete
  6. I remember when cars were parked at the dealership with the keys in them. I don't think they do that so much these days.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Riding in the blimp had to be a really great time, there were no blimps conceived during the flight were there?

    ReplyDelete
  8. You've spent a lot of time up in the air :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's how I got to be an air head!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.