Follow

Monday, July 24, 2017

WATER, WATER EVERYWHERE, NOR ANY DROP TO DRINK


(Some of this is from old posts, some of it is new.)

I was about 3 & my brother 5 when my grandfather took us to the park.  Grandpa was sitting on a bench, reading a newspaper, while my brother & I went to feed the ducks in the lake.  I leaned over a skosh too far & fell in.  My brother ran to get our grandfather & before they could get back, a stranger had pulled me out.  I developed a fear of the water & didn’t learn to swim until I was a teenager.

On one of our first trips to Hawaii, Bud & I went swimming with dolphins.  The Kahala Hilton Hotel had a large lagoon which was used as a “storehouse” for the local Sea World.  It was fun--more so for Bud than me.  Dolphins are much too fast to catch.  To interact with them, you had to float quietly until they came up to you.  I couldn’t just float; he could.  He was able to grab a dorsal fin & the dolphin took him for a ride!  I was so jealous that when we got home I took swimming lessons at the YMCA so I could have as much fun as him the next time.


For an even better dolphin experience with my son & daughter-in-law,

On one of our trips somewhere, we went out to the pool, ready to swim.  Bud & the kids decided it was too cold.  I told them they were all wimps & jumped in.  They were right!!  It was so cold that I felt like my stomach froze.  My other muscles weren't in such hot (pun intended) shape, either.  It was a good thing I was right near the edge because I don't think any of them would have jumped in to pull me out & save me from drowning.

We were on a family vacation in the Virgin Islands & everyone decided they wanted to go snorkeling.  I had never snorkeled before & I had never completely gotten over my fear of the water (see first paragraph).  I wasn't going to go in, but the (cute) skipper said he'd hold my hand. I finally agreed to try it & over the edge of the boat we went.  I was (almost) completely comfortable & insisted he let go of my hand.  It was absolutely beautiful; the fish were gorgeous!! I was so glad I changed my mind.  

After snorkeling we went to a place called Stingray Island.  It's not really an island, but an area in the ocean where stingrays congregate.  The stingrays are very tame because they are constantly being fed by humans & are quite accustomed to them.  They would even allow you to pick them up with both hands under their body.  Their skin feels like a wetsuit.  I have to admit it was a strange feeling when they swam between your legs.

Neither of my parents ever learned how to swim & had always avoided going to the beach.  My dad was a towhead & very fair skinned.  One of their best friends loved it so much she referred to it as "That place" because if she said "Hawaii" she got too nostalgic.  We had my folks join us on one trip to Hawaii.  While Bud stayed in Waikiki with the rest of the group who had previously toured all the islands, I took them on a private tour.  While on Maui, my mother & I went on an outrigger ride with 8 or 10 other people.  She enjoyed it so much that when we got back to the beach she went & got my dad & we immediately took another ride.  Later I found my dad standing in the lagoon in calm water up to his neck.  When I asked him why he was standing there like that he said, "Because I could never do it before!!"

On one of our trips to Europe we went to Austria.  While in Salzburg, we went to the Hellbrunn Palace nearby.  It was built in 1613–19 by Markus Sittikus Von Hohenems, Prince-Archbishop of Salzburg,  who apparently had a great sense of humor.


Hellbrunn Palace

There are many trick water fountains on the grounds & I'd like to tell you about one of them here:

The outside dinner table at Hellbrunn Palace was designed for very distinguished guests visiting the Archbishop at the palace during the Summer months. Markus Sittikus in all his glory and with his admirable sense of humor designed each chair at the table (except his own chair) with a trick fountain installed where your bottom sits. In those days, when you were in the company of someone as important as the Archbishop it was seen as very impolite to stand unless he was standing; when the Archbishop pulled the trick on his dinner guests, they were unable to stand up and move away from the water, in fear of being impolite. Instead, they received a very cold shower from the bottom up!!





















Come on in; the water's fine!!----fishducky

 






20 comments:

  1. You do go on some wonderful holidays. And are very generous about sharing them.
    Love the clown-fish attack.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I USED to go on wonderful holidays; alas, no more since I got old & decrepit. At least I can still remember them all!!

      Delete
  2. My sister has a water phobia, I believe she was born with it, by the time she was a teenager she'd learned to lie on her tummy right in the six inches deep shore edge and proudly proclaim she was almost swimming. It was very sad for me to watch her wade in to just below her knees and run out again if the waves were too splashy. My brother and I loved the water and spent most of each summer soaking wet from dawn to dusk or later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for your sister; she's missed out on a lot of fun!!

      Delete
  3. And I forgot to say how much I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does that first paragraph explain your nick name as you had to be fished out after chasing the ducky?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. My mother was a fish & my father was a ducky; it was an obvious choice!!

      Delete
  5. So glad you were able to overcame your fear of water. Had to laugh at the foot ball player dolphins in the water. Possible though, I might have liked that more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really enjoyed swimming with the (fishy) dolphins!!

      Delete
  6. It's also a strange feeling when Willy Dunne Wooters swims between my legs.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't discuss that here; this is a PG blog!!

      Delete
  7. I don't understand diving. How do you stay under water? I (or mu butt) just float... I guess at least I can't drown... But it would be nice to see what's at the bottom of the ocean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't dive under very far, either--just a couple of feet!!

      Delete
  8. Yes, walking on water to win a triathlon would be cheating, even if you happen to be Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it really improved his time!!

      Delete
  9. Lifeguard Shark meant well. He was only doing his job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think he had proper training?

      Delete
  10. I'm always amused by the silly assortments here. Thank you, Fishducky. My favorite is the one with Jesus being disqualified.

    Cheers to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are here to amuse & inform, but mostly to amuse!!

      Delete

Your comments make my day, which shows you how boring my life has become.