Among the Maxine jokes there is a summary on how she was created and a photo of her creator. More from the gal everyone loves and admires, and you finally get to meet her creator towards the middle.
Creator Of Maxine
John Wagner, Hallmark artist since 1970, says Maxine was inspired by his mother, his maiden aunts and his grandmother, the woman who bought him art lessons when 'fill in the pumpkins' was about the extent of his art classes at St. John's Catholic School in Leonia, N.J.
John remembers doodling as a preschooler and says both his grandmother and his mother encouraged his artistic interests. He eventually attended the Vesper George School of Art in Boston and landed at Hallmark as part of a new artists group. But it was the birth of the humorous Shoebox Greetings (a tiny little division of Hallmark) in 1986 that added a new dimension to John's professional life. The Shoebox way of seeing the world unleashed his talents and he created Maxine.
Why the name 'Maxine'? 'People at Shoebox started referring to the character as 'John Wagner's old lady,' and I knew that would get me into trouble with my wife,' John says. The Shoebox team had a contest among themselves to name the character and three of the approximately 30 entries suggested 'Maxine'. John says the name is perfect.
John, who says he's humbled by such acceptance of Maxine, admits he's proud of her.
I wrote a post on this lady in 2013. This is it:
I’ve only met 3 people named Maxine in my life. One was a neighbor—a very nice lady. The other 2 are my brother’s ex-wives. (Yes—he was married twice—both times to ladies named Maxine.) I will not comment on them.
Then there’s the “Maxine” of the cartoons—A very wise woman. Below are some excerpts from “Maxine’s Rules of Life”:
1. Never give anyone a haircut after three alcoholic beverages of any kind.
2. You need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use the WD-40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use the duct tape.
3. Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.
4. If he/she says that you are too good for him/her--believe them.
5. Never pass up an opportunity to pee.
6. If you woke up breathing, congratulations! You have another chance!
7. Living well really is the best revenge. Being miserable because of a bad or former relationship just might mean that the other person was right about you.
8. And finally; be really nice to your friends and family. You never know when you are going to need them to empty your bedpan.
She’s a Maxine we all can love. She says what we feel! She has an opinion on just about anything. Here are some of them:
On health, health care & aging
On a social life
How she sees life
Don't forget to kiss a veteran Sunday
or at least thank him for his service!!